X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would love it if the Cowboys used this strategey

How the Cowboys can cool down a fired-up McNabb
    By Andy Targovnik on October 4, 2006 02:41 AM

When the Dallas Cowboys play the Philadelphia Eagles this Sunday, it will be a difficult game for the Cowboys to win. The Philadelphia crowd will be in a frenzy, and be more hostile than any crowd the Cowboys have encountered in a long time.

But even more of a factor than an unfriendly atmosphere is that, due to Donovan McNabb's utter contempt for Terrell Owens, he probably wants to win this game more than any other he has ever played in - including the Super Bowl. This could be a problem.

This past Monday night against the weak Green Bay Packers , early in the game, McNabb stayed in the pocket and often threw the ball short of his receivers.

But then, the ex-Syracuse standout started to make things happen with his legs. Not only did he pick up a couple of key first downs and a pair of scores, but his passing got a lot better, too. When McNabb runs, it appears to trigger something in him that improves his total performance.

"I decided to go back to my style of play," McNabb said, "and if the opportunity is there, take full advantage."

And while McNabb can't throw caution to the wind for 16 games anymore, you can take it to the bank that he'll do whatever it takes to beat T.O.'s Cowboys.

So how can the Dallas Cowboys contain McNabb?

They should rush three players, keep a spy on him at all times, and keep the linebackers in the middle of the field more often than not. As a result, the 'D' won't overpursue, which will not only keep McNabb from running, but it will be easier to contain Brian Westbrook as well.

One reason that this strategy has merit is because the Cowboys' secondary is good enough to contain a beat-up Eagles receiving corps. (Donte' Stallworth's and Reggie Brown's status are unknown at this point.)

That's not to say the Cowboys should never send more rushers after McNabb. They should just pick and choose their spots. Because a long scamper might be the fuel that starts McNabb's fire. And why wake up a sleeping dog?

Get the hottest Dallas Cowboys insight at realfootball365.com
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

ah, the old spy defense. been a while since i've heard talk of putting a spy on mcnabb. makes me happy.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Only Rushing 3? Keeping a spy on McNabb (one less guy in coverage)? LBs in the middle of the field.

If the Cowboys play this scheme Donny Mac will be able to sit back in the pocket and pick their secondary apart. Westbrook will be able to eat them up in the flats and when he motions out to the slot he will almost always be matched up one-on-one with a safety or linebacker.

Comment

i doubt they'd put a spy on mcnabb if westbrook is playing. it's a luxury you might consider if the Eagles are missing some key offensive players. not just stallworth, but stallworth and somebody else really important, like westbrook.
        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

A couple of thoughts:

1) I am beginning to think this whole emotional edge McNabb and the Eagles supposedly have it being considerably overblown. So many people are talking about it and saying it will be a big factor that it makes me think it really won't be that big of a deal given how it seems obvious to everyone.

2) Spies rarely work so if Dallas does that, good luck. So I hope they do try that. It takes one LB out of the pass rush equation. Granted, it would be interesting to see if that spy was DeMarcus Ware. That kid is a freak of nature.

3) Dallas has the best secondary we have seen and may see all year. Regardless of how good McNabb is, our WRs are going to have to be on their game to get open against 7 man defensive backfield formations. And if Stallworth is out, that is a real blow IMO. He is a guy I think that Dallas respects and potentially fears in the passing game. For as much as we all like Brown, he isn't exactly scaring many defensive coordinators at this point in his career.

I suspect Dallas will do tons of different things to confuse McNabb. This goes back to the last Dallas game in 2004 when Dallas, a 4-3 team at that time, swtiched to a 3-4 during the game and confused our offense. I expect you will see the 3-4 and a 4-3 from Dallas this weekend. You may see all out blitzes and even 3 man pass rushes. There could be a lot of switching between man and zone as well.

How effective that will be is anyone's guess.

I am thinking 27-24, 24-21ish Birds.........

Comment

"Donovan McNabb's utter contempt for Terrell Owens...will do anything he can to win this game..."

I think he's got the names reversed.
            "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
            — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
            - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

The Cowboys stay in their lanes an don't give Donnie Mac an escape route.

You can't chase McNabb....You have to cut off his running lanes by being disciplined and giving him no where to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap

You can't chase McNabb....You have to cut off his running lanes by being disciplined and giving him no where to go.
                True. True. But, if you focus to much on McNabb's legs, he will kill you with his arm.

Comment

If he had utter contempt - why is he text messaging T.O. to make sure he's OK?

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
                    If he had utter contempt - why is he text messaging T.O. to make sure he's OK?
                    shhhh, stop clouding their judgment with logic

Comment

Where did that clip come from? That's a great strategy - to stop Michael Vick. It's nice to see that some people still don't see McNabb, the NFL leader in yardage and touchdowns, as more dangerous in the passing game.

Comment

It was posted on that cowboys forum that invited Philphans members to come join. I'm actually having some fun over there. I've racked up a wopping 11 posts already.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                          Originally posted by Cap

True. True. But, if you focus to much on McNabb's legs, he will kill you with his arm.
                          Dawg I never know how to refer to by screen names but

with Newman and Henry at corners I really don't see a lot of options for him to throw on the outside.

Weestbrook is a game breaker...I may be a Cowboy fan but I ain't stupid.

If I'm spyin...I spy Weestbrook.....You stop him the Eagles don't have a lot of options on offense

Comment

Cap sux cus hes a Cowpie fan, but hes OK therwise.

Cap, your Boys is goin DOWN!!!!
                            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                              Cap sux cus hes a Cowpie fan, but hes OK therwise.

Cap, your Boys is goin DOWN!!!!
                              as George C Scott said in Patton.

Tell him I do not wish to drink with a Russian Son Of a Bitch....The Russian looked at him and said

How about....One Son Of a Bitch To another Son Of a Bitch.

I lift my glass to you Fresh Cap

Comment

Working...
                              X