Pete Jenkins Impact on the D-Line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Jenkins Impact on the D-Line?

This may have been discussed already. I'm curious to see how Pete Jenkins does with the D-Line. Did any of you catch this blurb from NFL.com?

An Eagle stays landed,

By Adam Schefter
    NFL Analyst

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(June 9, 2006) -- They started working together in 1999, Eagles coach Andy Reid and defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, and now they are tied together through 2010.

This offseason, very quietly, the Eagles exercised their option for the final two years of Johnson's contract, tying him to Philadelphia through the 2010 season. It is the exact year that Reid's contract also runs through.

The defensive coordinator's deal keeps Johnson amongst the three highest-paid defensive coordinators in the game, along with the Washington Redskins' Gregg Williams and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Monte Kiffin. There never was much of a question that the Eagles would exercise the option, but this was the offseason in which they did it.

But Johnson is a lot more concerned with reviving the Eagles' pass rush than landing contract guarantees. Eagles officials believe the team's biggest problem last season was the lack of pass rush. It is why the team poured much of its offseason salary-cap space into free-agent defensive end Darren Howard and used its first-round pick on defensive tackle Broderick Bunkley.

Now Johnson can be the master schemer that he is, devising more ways to get increased pressure. One is expected to come with a more active rotation. The Eagles can have a rotation because of their surplus of defensive ends. In addition to signing Howard, the Eagles also are getting back former first-round pick Jerome McDougle, who has recovered from the gunshot wound he suffered before last season.

With rookie Broderick Bunkley manning the middle, the Eagles can get more creative.
    Eagles officials say McDougle has shown up at their Organized Team Activities with a new attitude, a new energy, a new urgency he lacked before. It's almost as if the 27-year-old McDougle feels he has been given a second chance to reach the potential the Eagles saw in him when they drafted him in the first round in 2003.

And what also has helped McDougle, and each of the other Eagles linemen, is the presence of new defensive line coach Pete Jenkins. Reid was able to coax Jenkins out of retirement after the defensive line coach had worked under Nick Saban at LSU. Jenkins is considered a superb technician, and those techniques now are being transferred to McDougle and Howard and each lineman on the roster.

So now the Eagles have a new defensive line coach in Jenkins, a deal in place with their defensive coordinator Johnson, and the hopes that this will be a very different season from the last one.

Comment

Frankly, and embarrassingly so I guess, I was not aware of the change. Nor was I that aware of the name or reputation of Jenkins.

On paper it sounds like a match made in heaven,,, JJ thinks up the schemes and Jenkins prepares the guys to be able to execute them from a technical standpoint.

I think the most positive thing I keep hearing about is the positive attitude that almost every single player has been showing, not just talking about. It's almost as if the TO thing was a much much much bigger negative then we even thought it was--- and also being 6 and 10 and losing all six in the division will do that to you also.

Comment

Of course, nobody's hired as a defensive line coach unless they know a lot about defensive line technique. I know nothing about the guy, but then again I also couldn't name a single d-line coach in the entire NFL. So basically what I'm saying is it'd be great if this guy's amazing technique suddenly transformed our d-line into the Purple People Eaters, but really this article doesn't amount to much more than any other minicamp puff piece around the NFL.

Comment

LOL..I keep telling you guys that it's our year. It's all about the Karma, see my signature. All good stuff, no bad. I've never quite seen it like this before. It's like a huge black cloud of stench has been lifted from the team, and it's all blue skies and warm sunshine.

Yep, TO is going to help us win the Super Bowl fellas. Just not in the way that he, or anyone of us thought.

Comment

I am a believer in change so I certainly see this with optimism. I've heard his name bandied about before although I have not followed his career by any means. From this article I can see him as the type who makes head coaches appear so much better than they are and, while fans may not know him, good players know how good he is. Hopefully, that pans out.
            As for the positivity....I don't think it is possible for fans (or others who were not present in the locker room) to understand the depth of the negative dynamics that Owens caused. There were a number of us (and I thought you were one MD when his named first surfaced as a potential Eagle) that were not enamored with him and didn't really want him. He may succeed in dallas but going money has to say that he will be a problem there also. I will always see him as tarnish on the franchise.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

I'm sure he'll like working for Andy. I've heard Saban was brutal to work for.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

a little more on Jenkins, from Eckel;

Rejuvenated, Jenkins set with Eagles
                Thursday, June 01, 2006
                Pete Jenkins coached 34 years on the college level -- mostly on the major-college level -- and never thought or dreamed about being in the NFL.

Then he retired. Now, he's in the NFL as the Eagles' defensive line coach, perhaps the team's most important addition this offseason.

How exactly did this happen again?

"I love the game. I love coaching the game," Jenkins, 64, and a Buddy Ryan sound-a-like, said. "I missed it. I'll tell you what I missed, three things: I missed the relationship with the players. I missed teaching the little things that become a part of the big picture. The other thing was the competitiveness. I just felt like I was out of the fight."

Jenkins retired in 2002, his last stop being at LSU where he helped head coach Nick Saban build what became a national co-champion.

"My wife Donna and I retired together," he said. "At that point, I had just had enough. I told coach Saban `I'll help you get going, but I don't know how long I'll be here.' I was tired. I just didn't have it in me any longer."

While Jenkins and his wife went off to their home in Santa Rosa Beach, Fla., retirement just didn't fit him very well.

But the NFL?

"Never," Jenkins answers in a rare one-word response, when asked if in all his years at Southern Mississippi, Oklahoma State, Florida, LSU or Auburn, he thought about the NFL. "I'm just a college guy at heart."

College coaches, especially assistant college coaches, are known for their teaching abilities. Jenkins is considered one of the best teachers in the game. The Eagles' defensive line, the team's most under-achieving unit a year ago, and bolstered with the addition of free-agent Darren Howard and first-round pick Brodrick Bunkley, is going to school.

Still the question begs. Why the NFL after all this time and why the Eagles? "Andy Reid is a coach I respected," Jenkins said. "I didn't know him, never met him. But in the coaching ranks he is very well respected. He's held in very high esteem.

"Then there's Juan Castillo (the Eagles' offensive line coach). Juan and I go back a long way. He used to come to visit me at my camps when he just started coaching. He continued to come when he got the job at Texas A&I (now Texas A&M-Kingsville). He called me and asked me if I would be interested (in coming to the Eagles)."

Jenkins talked it over with his wife and what he thought would be a good, free meal turned into a job he never thought he wanted.

"We were in this together," Jenkins said of his wife. "We retired together. So if I was going back, we had to go back together. I felt I owed her that. I told her I'm going to take the trip up there and see. I figured I get a good meal out of it."

When Jenkins called home that night, his wife knew there was more than a good dinner in this deal.

"We've only been married 39 years, so she knows me a little bit," Jenkins said. "She told me I sounded different than when I left."

Jenkins accepted the job to replace the retired Tommy Brasher, one year his junior, and will now try to teach youngsters Bunkley and Mike Patterson the proper technique of playing inside on the line, and also attempt to get the most out of veterans Howard, Darwin Walker and Jevon Kearse.

This guy might even get Jerome McDougle to produce.

Really.

"I was lying in the bed the other night," Jenkins tells one of his great stories. "I don't know if I was dreaming, or what it was. But I'm thinking about Jevon Kearse coming off the edge getting after the quarterback and some little things I can help him do. I couldn't sleep. I had to call him the first thing the next morning."

So Jenkins, in his words "burned out" a few years ago, is rejuvenated. He admits he is not sure how long it will last. But for now he's ready to go to work.

"This has been interesting," he said of his first taste of the NFL. "For a guy who has been around as long I have, I've had a lot of firsts. I went to my first Combine, first minicamp, first draft, I even saw the Phillies play, that was my first professional baseball game. It seems like every day there is something new."

Comment

Interesting story... no NFL expereince, so no actual working knowledge of the difference in the "teachability" between the pros and college-- but ya gotta love the respect and admiration he has for AR and Castillo.

This could be great or could be bad! I hope it's great and this second wind he caught will last another 4 or 5 years!

Comment

NoDak,, I was in the group that never thought they would go after him based on his antics.

I loved that talent that he brought on Sundays, and since I had harped on them needing to upgrade that position for 5 years-- I felt I had to support the effort to get him,,,, just didn't think they would.

But I also knew that if it went bad he could ruin a team. I just never thought that it would happen after the year both he and the team had--- it was like a Cinderella story----------- that got cancer of the foot!

Comment

Also,, let's not forget the main thrust of that article-- JJ is gonna be here till 2010!

And quite frankly,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm good with that.

Comment

If he's good enough for Juan he's good enough for me!

Comment

Jevon Kearse said that Jenkins walked in on day 1 with complete analysis of his technique and has been overhauling the Freaks moves and approach.

It's wonderful.
                          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                          Playoff Appearances:
                          NFC Title Games:
                          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                            Playoff Appearances:
                            NFC Title Games:
                            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Anything to help this dline get better is good news for me. They struggled last year and everyone knows that this defense relies on those four to be able to get to the QB.

Comment

Working...
                              X