Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some new music

anyone got any suggestions?

Anyone have the Grant Lee Phillips album nineteeneightees by any chance?

VIN - what are you in the mood for?

although not really new - might I suggest:

Editors - The Back Room

Matt Pond PA - Several Arrows Later

I also have the Gnarls Barkley release if that intrigues you.

Comment

What are the Editors and Matt Pond like?

I'm not really into the whole Gnarls Barkley thing.

Comment

Try:

Built to Spill's You In Reverse..

Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins's Rabbit Fur Coat

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals (everything)

Sufjan Stevens's The Avalanche (Extra tracks from Illinoise)

Tom Petty's Highway Companion (Out July 25th)

Oneida's Happy New Year

Guster's Ganging Up on the Sun

Rilo Kiley's The Execution of All Things

Keep you eye out for Dylan's first studio release in 5+ years
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Here are some fun bands to check out:

Tragically Hip - Trip-hop

Of Montreal - Poppy rock, sorta similar to the Kings of Leon

Danger Mouse's Grey Album is pretty cool (cross between Beatles white album and Jay-Z's black album)
          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
            What are the Editors and Matt Pond like?

I'm not really into the whole Gnarls Barkley thing.
            Editors are a little more harder edge with a sound very similar to old U2.

Matt Pond is more melodic with some catchy pop tunes.

Comment

Hey VFK - i love Jenny Lewis and Rilo Kiley.

I dont have that album though so I'll check it out.

Comment

Me too Vin...I know Rilo Kiley better, but this new one is Jenny solo with these two female backup/harmony singers and a backing band in some cases...pretty decent.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                  Me too Vin...I know Rilo Kiley better, but this new one is Jenny solo with these two female backup/harmony singers and a backing band in some cases...pretty decent.
                  I have Rabbit Fur Coat. It's a great album.

Comment

Gotta put a plug in for my favorite NYC-centric band, The Walkmen.

I'm guessing if you like Editors (great band) you might enjoy them as well. Great live sound, great songs, they do convincing slow and fast numbers. Lots of use of piano, classic reverberated direct-to-amp guitar fuzz, etc. that doesn't get in the way of great songwriting. I always likened them to a garage-rock take on U2 without all the world-saving pomposity.

Of the 3 they have out, I'd recommend "Bows and Arrows" as the best to start with. They're putting out an entire covers album of Harry Nilsson's "Pussycats" later this year, which is hilarious and just the kind of offbeat thing the band always does every few years.

Comment

Vin, do yourself a favor and try something different. Go and get Thievery Corporation's Mirror Conspiracy and Zero 7's Simple Things. Melodic, versatile trip-hop with some incredible female vocals. It's not much of a departure from what you've been recommending to me.

Thanks, BTW for pointing out Rabbit Fur Coat to me, I went on a road trip recently and cemented my love for that album.
                      I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by trufresh17
                        Vin, do yourself a favor and try something different. Go and get Thievery Corporation's Mirror Conspiracy and Zero 7's Simple Things. Melodic, versatile trip-hop with some incredible female vocals. It's not much of a departure from what you've been recommending to me.
                        I love both those albums.

Comment

Zero 7 is very good...I am just getting into Thievery Corp. and have to let it sink in a bit more...

-Andy Reid

Comment

I'm a huge fan of trip-hop. Massive Attack, Portishead, Thievery Corporation, Esthero, Zero 7, Air, Goldfrapp, Gotan Project are some of my favorites.
                            I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

No Protection is an all-time classic album IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X