Article is too big to fit in the post:

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/a/ho...-20210312.html
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Thanks 60
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Thanks for posting that. After reading it, my suspicions are confirmed. Howie keeps his job by being the gatekeeper to Lurie, thus ensuring Howie's point of view and opinions are always "right".

Comment

I read it all. This was interesting IMO.

It stands to reason in my view that ubiquity would increase the probability of becoming indispensable. That's not a hard and fast rule of course, but the more stuff Howie does, the more he would become the go-to guy:

Roseman is Lurie’s liaison on almost all football-related areas, and because he is ubiquitous, as one source put it, his point of view has become indispensable.

Few in the organization ever voiced concern about Wentz, for instance, even during intermittent struggles, for fear of being shunned by Roseman.

“At almost no point in personnel meetings the last couple years did anyone say anything negative about Carson,” said a team source who was part of personnel discussions . “Even when he would actually look [bad] in practice, almost nobody was willing to say anything because they knew it would be their death sentence....”

"...The apolitical Schwartz, in a rare moment, sounded the alarm during a get-together Lurie hosted at his Main Line estate in June 2019 when he criticized the quarterback after a lackluster spring, said two sources who were there. But it was too late anyway: Wentz’s extension was announced later that week. (Schwartz declined an interview request.)
        On the alleged disconnect between the coaches and the scouting dept:

Both scouts and coaches grouse that there isn’t enough transparency between the departments when it comes to prospect gradings, and that has been one reason why there have been some notable recent mistakes.

Roseman has to ensure that information isn’t leaked to reporters or other teams. But, to some sources, his secrecy goes back to his desire to control the narrative.

“Everything is so secretive,” said a team source who worked in personnel, “and Howie is so paranoid about things getting out that terrible mistakes happen.”

Picking wide receiver Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson in the first round last April was a prime example. Roseman favored the coaching recommendation that Reagor would be better suited to the offense, vs. the scouts, who preferred Jefferson, but Roseman was all in on Reagor, too, sources said.
        And this, about the coaches/players:

Franchise-caliber players across the league, especially quarterbacks, may be given sway on their teams. But many sources believed that the opinions of Wentz and defensive tackle Fletcher Cox on coaches and personnel factored too much into decisions.

Wentz butted heads with offensive coordinator Mike Groh. He favored Press Taylor. The former was fired and the latter promoted. Wentz wasn’t picking players, per se, but Roseman kept him too involved in the process, sources said.

The same could be said of Cox and his influence in coaching decisions. Did the six-time Pro Bowler make the final call on the hiring and firing of assistants Chris Wilson and Phillip Daniels? No. But his thinking weighed heavily on the resolutions, sources said.

There were likely other reasons for their departures, but based upon production, the defensive line was consistently among the Eagles’ top-performing units.

Pederson technically made the final decisions on his assistants. But in many of the firings he first told the coaches they were returning until Roseman and/or Lurie stepped in to either argue their cases or provide context, sources said.

Comment

I’m going to go against the grain here guys and just say if the Eagles would not have been subjected to a series of injuries unlike anything I’ve ever seen in professional sports this wouldn’t be an issue.

The glaring mistake for Howie is JJAW instead of Metcalf. But Lurie wanted JJAW. Lurie also wanted Reagor. What if Roseman’s staying power is he realizes Lurie is the owner and is a shield for decisions that don’t work out? There is something to be said for that. Maybe Lurie is more meddling than he should be and Howie is the willing fall guy. Would other GMs allow that?

lastky... we finally won a Super Bowl in 2017 and did so despite a ridiculous amount of injuries even that year. Howie ran the franchise beautifully in 2016-17. He seemed to make all the right moves.

now he is on the clock starting this season for me but with the injuries of the past few seasons and that Lombardi I am willing to forgive quite a bit.

I also think this year we are going to be way better than people think if we can just stay healthy and make a few good picks in the draft.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
            I’m going to go against the grain here guys and just say if the Eagles would not have been subjected to a series of injuries unlike anything I’ve ever seen in professional sports this wouldn’t be an issue.

The glaring mistake for Howie is JJAW instead of Metcalf. But Lurie wanted JJAW. Lurie also wanted Reagor. What if Roseman’s staying power is he realizes Lurie is the owner and is a shield for decisions that don’t work out? There is something to be said for that. Maybe Lurie is more meddling than he should be and Howie is the willing fall guy. Would other GMs allow that?

lastky... we finally won a Super Bowl in 2017 and did so despite a ridiculous amount of injuries even that year. Howie ran the franchise beautifully in 2016-17. He seemed to make all the right moves.

now he is on the clock starting this season for me but with the injuries of the past few seasons and that Lombardi I am willing to forgive quite a bit.

I also think this year we are going to be way better than people think if we can just stay healthy and make a few good picks in the draft.
            This is true. The Eagles did indeed get so chewed up by the injury bug. I guess it's just that people are wondering why the wheels came off so spectacularly this past season, hence this 'deep dive'. Injuries no doubt played a huge part of it. If everyone stayed healthy last year, I believe that things would have gone differently. Maybe the 'office politics' might/might not have short-circuited it all. They probably would have won more games regardless...

I do think that Howie deserves credit for the 2017 run and that he should get the chance to right the ship this season (and beyond, if the team shows positive progress). Let's see what he does...

Comment

Thought process that’s exactly what I’m thinking. Very few teams can contend this by the second month of the season they are down to back ups on for a five offense of line positions. By October this year we were without Dillard Ln., Brooks and Isaac. And yet JM came in and played very well. How he hast to be given credit for JM, Driscoll, and Herbig.

And I will finish by saying I truly believe that Carson Wentz is a broken quarterback. Maybe we broke him I’m not sure. But I don’t think our wide receivers and tight ends are as bad as they appear. I think Carson had guys open he just didn’t have the balls to throw it and I don’t know why that was. I’m 100% in on hurts and I think he’s going to play at a much higher level than Carson did last year and this offense is going to look a lot different.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

The injuries certainly cant' be overlooked, but the starting talent can. In the playoffs I saw every team throw perfect passes to receivers who were blanketed by dbs yet passes were complete more times than not. I was truly amazed this year in the playoffs watching the perfection that we just didn't have with any consistency from our skill people. Winning in the NFL is just becoming too hard and our drafting sucks. And to add to that you just can't have a meddling owner who doesn't see this but understands analytics and thinks that he won a SB with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  The injuries certainly cant' be overlooked, but the starting talent can. In the playoffs I saw every team throw perfect passes to receivers who were blanketed by dbs yet passes were complete more times than not. I was truly amazed this year in the playoffs watching the perfection that we just didn't have with any consistency from our skill people. Winning in the NFL is just becoming too hard and our drafting sucks. And to add to that you just can't have a meddling owner who doesn't see this but understands analytics and thinks that he won a SB with them.
                  Yep. I believe that it's all of the above. A perfect storm of suck, injury, confusion/ineptitude, and palace intrigue. The article opens up a lot of possibilities re: the palace intrigue angle, and I would venture to guess the ineptitude angle also. Many people have wondered why it seems that other squads can develop prospects into serviceable contributors at WR specifically but the Eagles seeem to always be running backwards uphill in that regard.

Comment

There certainly is lots to untangle this off season. I don't believe the birds are the 'elite' franchise in the NFL by any means however, they are no slouches. They pay players well, they have good facilities, etc. But they make lots and lots of mistakes from letting Dawk go or dealing with Trotter/DJax/McCoy or giving insane contracts like Jeffrey or the whole Pederson/Wentz problem to maybe being too meddlesome from the owners box. And let's not get started on the draft picks. It isn't all recent IMM so I have little doubt that, organizationally, they are questioning a lot this off season. I'll go so far as to say that SB team wasn't a great team or the most talented team. Certainly we had a QB playing at an MVP level in Wentz through the year. People may be beating the hell out of him now but they were spewing all over themselves back then. And when he went down the coaches geared the game plan to the new QB, a career backup really, rather than trying to have him do something he wasn't capable of. While Howie had a good roster I don't think it was great. I think they had a lot of things go their way. The next year, had Jeffrey not dropped that pass, they may have won the SB. Just didn't go their way.
                    When things started to go south last year I said things like Lurie needs to ask who the hell made the draft pick of JJAW and Reagor and then said that person shouldn't be allowed in the room anymore. And I said if I am Lurie I am asking everyone what the problem is. I ask Wentz why he went to hell, I ask Pederson if it is Howie, I ask Howie yada yada. Well maybe he should ask himself what the problem is or ask Andy or some other outsider what they see from afar. Unfortunately I have found that people who make it to Lurie's level are selective who they listen to
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

I'd really like to know why Pederson was fired. That "didn't have a good vision of the team" crap sure didn't fly with me. Seeing as though he had no control over the roster WTF difference did HIS vision have to do with anything?

Comment

Working...
                      X