Pass Rushing Prospect: DE Payton Turner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass Rushing Prospect: DE Payton Turner

Payton Turner said after Houston’s Pro Day availability on Friday that he has talked to all 32 teams, then rattled off seven teams he said he has spoken to at least three times.

He remembered one of the teams being the Eagles, though.

"I’d say the teams that stand out and have impressed me more than some others would be Jacksonville, the Browns, Saints, Cowboys, Texans, Chargers, (and) I’ve talked to Philly," said Turner. "I’d say the list goes one. That’s off the top of my head those are teams that stand out more than others. I’ve talked to those teams multiple times, at least three times."

If Turner was considered a sleeper in the 2021 NFL Draft, there are many teams wide awake on him.

“It’s funny because I tell you these teams, but everybody tells me it’s the ones that don’t talk to you that draft you,” said Turner.
    Turner has the size and versatility NFL teams like. He’s a 6-5?, 270-pound defensive end who can move inside to tackle, too.

“I’m a violent edge,” he said. “I got the length so I can stress (offensive tackles) with the quickness, and I’m big enough to bull rush them, long arm them
    The Houston edge rusher has the size NFL teams love and has likely made himself into a second-round draft pick

I wasn't very impressed with those highlights TP.
    Last edited by Eagle60; 04-11-2021, 02:00 PM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        I wasn't very impressed with those highlights TP.
        Are you getting a Mamula vibe?

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post

Are you getting a Mamula vibe?
          I think I'm the only Eagle fan who really thinks Mamula was a stud. He played with a bunch of stiffs and still was really good and was game planed for.

Comment

I agree 60... Mamula was not a stiff. He was a bit of a one trick pony for sure but he played with some average guys on the OL. Andy Harmon, William Fuller maybe... did he play briefly with Clyde Simmons maybe towards the end of his career? Maybe Jerome McDougle at the very end? I mean he didn't live up to his draft value for sure but he wasn't a stiff.

My biggest memory of Mamula however was the Dallas Monday night game when he jumped up and that ball went right through his arms but glanced off his arm and so the DPI on Bobby Taylor should not have been called. I believe we picked that pass off. If you guys remember that game, we jumped on them early and often with some corner and safety blitzes, got out in front, and then lost the game on that terrible fumbled snap down by the goal line on the last play of the game. Mamula always seems to have bad luck and that was one play that stands out as him just having bad luck. That should not have been DPI because Mamula tipped that ball.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Who could EVER forget Tommy Hutton? That play has been burning my ass for over 25 years. I would have choked him through my tv screen if I could have. I'll probably have a nightmare about it again tonight.

Last edited by Eagle60; 04-12-2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I hated the neck beard boys era
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I will never forget that night.... EVER. I watched that MNF game with my buddy and when the game was over I just got up and walked out of my apartment and was gone walking down the street for about 15-20 minutes. When I came back my buddy was gone. He called me the next day. He knew I needed some space.

I hate the Cowboys so much.
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                    I hated the neck beard boys era
                    I didn't know know it was a fad, I just thought that was Koy being weird.

Comment

I hated watching the Detmer boys

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        Who could EVER forget Tommy Hutton? That play has been burning my ass for over 25 years. I would have choked him through my tv screen if I could have. I'll probably have a nightmare about it again tonight.

One of the most painful sports games of my life

I miss those harrasing defenses of the past. Aikman has repeatedly said that he hated playing the Eagles defense, more than any other team in his career.

Comment

Back to this kid Payton Turner... I read a scouting report on him today and it said one thing I really like and that is he plays with "heavy hands." That is a really big deal.

I get that everybody wants that edge guy that can bend and run around the corner but against these spread offenses you have to be able to set the edge and hold it. You can't just race around the edge every time. That is why Brandon Graham remains a factor because he can lock on and redirect, flattening down the LOS. If Turner can do that too, I'm interested. The Rousseau kid can supposedly do that also and has been compared to more of 3-4 guy that can kick inside in obvious passing downs.

Don't get me wrong, it is fun to have an edge guy that can run and be quick twitch but you have to be able to do more than just run the edge. You have to play with some leverage and heavy hands or you are just going to get pushed outside of the play now.

Comment

This is not a great draft for Edge rushers. I like the kid from Pittsburgh Patrick Jones. I think Paye is going to be a decent end. But Paye is a high first round pick, Jones because of competition and the same with Turner is really hard to tell. Other than that you have a bunch of guys like the kids from Penn State. Both guys have great measurables but the production on the field last year simply didn't match. Rousseau is a tweener to me, I don't think his first step is fast enough for end, I think he developes into a pass rushing situational tackle
                            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Taz... I agree with you. I don't think any of these DEs are worth the 12th pick and my concern is the Birds moved back too far and they are going to be staring at either a DE that might not be worth that pick or they will have to take an OL man and if that is the case I'd be OK with the OL or a trade back. I would have zero issue with them taking a LB or CB at the 12 spot and then getting the Davyion Nixon kid at 37. I think he will be there and can be an impact DT with some speed. I just really hope they don't reach for Kwity Paye or Rousseau at 12. I actually don't think they will because they should have the money next year to sign Barnett long term and Sweat has shown some flashes. I think edge is a need but not a need that makes you reach.

Comment

Working...
                              X