From 2 People Who Actually Know Something About Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From 2 People Who Actually Know Something About Football

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Come on man. No one doubts he is tough. No one doubts he is a good football player. No one doubts his dedication. But the very first friggin thing they talk about is the only problem is his injury history and if he didn’t have that he would’ve been too twenty. But he does have that and if he has that at the NFL level he will be gone from the team in three years as a guy with all the potential in the world.
    I pray he doesn’t get injured and is a hall of fame stud. But it is a pick 37 gamble in my mind.
    "Don't look between the lines for stuff that isn't there" Schwartz
    RIP

Comment

he has the potential to be a generational talent, he does things that remind me of the Nelson kid in Indy. If you get 3-4 years of him at that level you won. He has heart, dedication and leadership skills off the charts to go with the talent. Every single player in the draft is a gamble. His upside is probowl for years at either interior position, his downside is a quality fill in at any position . Football players get hurt, this guy keeps coming back stronger, I'd wager a second round bet on that type of player. No one expects anything of this team for a few years except maybe me. Good time to take a shot
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from and your unwavering dedication. I will disagree though in that I also expect the team to be successful and posted I thought they could be relevant next year with the right draft. I don't see it so far. What I see so far is Wentz is right - get out of Philly; it is a mess and the GM is an idiot
        "Don't look between the lines for stuff that isn't there" Schwartz
        RIP

Comment

They are going to be relevant just by being healthy IMO

Comment

This reason why this is a bad pick has nothing to do with what Dickerson can do on the field or type of person he is. Those are factors and the only factors that got him to 37. . Its very simple he can't stay on the field. I will say it again you can't make the club in the tub. For a team that has had so many injuries the last few years it just doesn't make sense. Essentially we have taken to two undersized boom or bust players and a medical reject. Hardly a formula for rebuilding a team. I mean lets face it we have all been calling for Howies head, we all think they have issues in their medical staff so how could you expect this to work out well? I sure hope it does but the history with this kid is really bad injury wise. If he had played 3 years before he tore his ACL with no injuries I think this would make more sense. This guy is basically going to play on two repaired acls and ankles at age 22. Its too much of a risk to take at 37. At 73 sure.
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I would have taken Creed Humphrey. But Stoutland might have inside info on the kid regarding how he is healing.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                I haven't seen a bull like him since Mike Poncy, and to tell you the truth he might be better. He's boom or bust pick but he is a difference maker.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

By all accounts he was a mid-first round talent or higher, if it was not for the injuries. He definitely fits a need (backup across the interior OL, starting talent once player move on etc.). And sounds like a terrific guy to have in the locker room. Most injuries happened in the first three years of his career there. Looks like he played his full junior year, then most of his full senior year, but then tore an ACL (again) late in the SEC championship game. The optics would be completely different without that last injury, of course (two healthy years after struggling early). But that did happen.

If you're trying to look at the bright side, at least it was not a second ACL injury to the same knee, but rather the other knee. And maybe Stoutland still has enough contacts at Alabama to get some info that made the team feel more comfortable. Hopefully he doesn't have to play much this year to allow him to heal up as much as possible. If he stays healthy, it's a beyond-awesome pick. That "if" however is a huge one, especially for this team, which has an extremely poor record when drafting guys who fell due to injury, and has also shown an ability to get guys who never get injured elsewhere to be injured as soon as they get here.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                    I would have taken Creed Humphrey. But Stoutland might have inside info on the kid regarding how he is healing.
                    I agree with you. The biggest concern with Dickerson is two acl tears on both knees and the rope based ankle surgery on one ankle and an injury to the other ankle. He is only 22yrs old that is a helluva a lot of injuries for a 22yr old player. The chances this kid can stay healthy enough for a 10yr career are slim and none and slim just left the building. When you take offensive lineman that high you want them to have 10 yr careers.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

The Injury prone tag is mostly a myth, especially when you talk O line. We lost our whole line and subs last year to injury. Center is the toughest because you're always in the middle of things. People falling on you is the most dangerous concern. Torn ACL is a term that covers a lot of ground. It means that part or all of the ligament is seperated from the bone. Not all of them require surgery. I rember a real good RB from Georgia was drafted top 5 and he didn't even know that he had a torn ACL until his draft physical.
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                      X