My Draft recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Draft recap

So I didn't want to put this one in the other thread for it as it probably more negative than most will like. I have a different take on drafts than most. Especially over the last 10-15 years when players come in and start right away. I don't think this draft for where they were drafting and the position they were in will produce enough starters by year 3, For this to be a successful draft and one that based on where they were drafting coming in it should produce 4 starters and at least one pro bowler. I just don' t see it but hope I am dead wrong on this.

So lets get into the players

1. Devonta Smith - No doubt this kid can play on the field. He is a polished route runner, he catches everything in site. Limited injury history (I think he only had a hand injury in college), and production against top college corners (which is huge). He is also only 165lbs at almost 6ft 1. Players of that stature tend to wear down over the course of a year. (DeSean Jackson is a perfect example) He has never played a 16 game schedule yet alone a 17 game schedule plus 3 preseasons games. To justify the trade up and the high pick he must be the number 1 receiver on this team and a Pro Bowl player. Which means 8-10 touches a game 6-7 catches a game. . Can he withstand the 150-200 hits he is going to take over the course of the year?. Can he withstand the blocking assignments? That is the problem with this pick. I think this is the wrong team for him. He needed to go to a team that had other weapons around him. A team that could spot him in and out. I am hope I am dead wrong and he becomes the one player who can do this at his height and weight. I really really do. I seriously doubt he can though. Before everyone says put weight on him. Many players of his statue have tried over the years and some people simply just can not put on weight. (Wish I was one of them ). He played at one of the best schools in college football with state of the art facilities and nutrition programs. Sure a little bump can come from getting to the Nova Care but I think for him to be successful he has to get to 180-185lbs and that weight needs to be muscle. His legs are like toothpicks, in fact he makes Todd Pinkstons legs look like the incredible Hulk.

2. Landon Dickerson - Absolute head scratcher of a pick. Nothing to do with his play on the field, he is an absolute beast when he is on the field. At pick 37 you needed to get a day 1 starter, you are pick 37 for a reason, you team sucked. Why did they suck so much last year, well injuries played a part for sure. But lets say he is completely healthy and say our interior line is completely healthy. He doesn't start over any of those players until one of them retires, or is traded etc. there is no opening for him. This is one of the better interior lines in football. Now lets say Kelce does retire after 2021 season, Dickerson starts at center in 2022. Now you only get three years of the guy on his rookie contract. That is not value at pick 37. Well we need depth. We have depth at guard, for a backup there is nothing wrong with Herbig who actually showed some good promise as a starter last year. This is just a position that didn't need to be addressed at 37.

3. Milton Williams - Kid can absolutely play. But what position does he play in the Pro's. Is he a DE at 280lbs, if so he does not have a quick enough first step and is a 1st and 2nd down run stopper. If he a DT, at that point his first step is workable and he becomes an undersized pass rusher. Now I think he can bulk up some, he seems to have the body type to. In round 3 I am Ok with this pick but again, how much playing does he get? He is a rotational piece and for a team that desperately needed CB and Safety help and in a really bad DT class this move isn't make a ton of sense. We have starters there, we have backups.

4. Zech McPherson - Finally a CB and a decent college one if that. He will most likely be a nickel in the Pro's but in round 4 this is a solid pick. He probably starts day one if nothing more but by default as he immediately becomes the second best corner on the team. I do think he is better than Avonte Maddox who has lost his MOJO.

5. Kenneth Gainwell - Fletcher Cox cousin. Actually I really like this pick. This kid can do it all out of the backfield. He opted out last year so I think that held him down some but RB in general didn't get picked in this draft. You had the two in round 1 but after that it was spotty throughout the draft. Excellent value in round 5. I again question the need here as you have Sanders, Scott and Howard already but am perfectly fine with the pick especially on day 3

6. Marlon Tuipulotu, - Another DT, Look I get the build through the trenches stuff but this is getting out of hand with these clowns running the show. I see nothing in Tuipulotu that says draft pick. He consistently is run out of the play. He did show some pass rush ability but I get it, its round 6. To me this is where you take flyers on LB, Safeties, CB and WR for special teams. I don't think this kid will even make the team.

7. Tarron Jackson, DE - So getting a 4th DE was a sneaky need for this team. Jackson has some upside. Productive college career and knows how to get to the QB. Probably makes the team as a 4th DE. Overall not a bad selection in round 6.

8. JaCoby Stevens, S, LSU - Favorite pick of the draft, he will be a hybrid player in the Gannon scheme He is an in box type player but is very good within there. His issue is he is tight in hips in pass coverage. A this point of the draft to get somebody who can contribute right away on Special teams and could give you snaps on defense is very good value.

9. Patrick Johnson, OLB, Tulane - Saw him more as a 3-4 outside linebacker, so I am not sure of the fit here. I am assuming he is going to slim down a little and play the SAM. Didn't see much tape on him in pass coverage. Looks to be a decent pass rusher. Again at this point of the draft you can't agrue taking guys like this. He should at least play on special teams.

Overall I just don't get this draft. Day 1 Smith definitely starts, McPherson most likely starts but that is by default. By year three if the tea leave align Smith, Dickerson and McPherson are starters, Gainwell is a major contributor and the rest of these guys are situational defensive players. That is the upside of this draft. Is that enough for a 4 win team last year? Probably not. I

Also as the time of this posting the UDFA is underwhelming. Newman is a good camp arm and this point is QB3. I really like Grimes and think he wasn't drafted because a ton of teams WR rooms are filling up with last three WR classes flat out stacked with WR. Grimes probably makes this team. A 4 win team should have been able to sign more and better UDFA guys. Look at Jacksonville's class. The fact they have not signed a single CB or Safety is a flat out crime.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Hey Taz as always I appreciate your analysis and your consistency. You’re always there given your opinion and I value it. And I also believe you love this team so much that you hope you’re wrong. I agree with you on Dickerson I just don’t like the risk at 37 it’s almost a first round pick I have no clue why you take a guy with that much of an injury history. Especially when creed Humphrey was right there. And I like Williams a lot but what position is he going to play? I mean I guess an obvious passing Downs you could put him in a defensive tackle what isn’t that why you have Javon Hargraves? I’m happy to see you like the Stephens pic I don’t know a lot about that kid but I’ll take your word for it you think he can play that hybrid position which is so critical now. And I also just disagree with you on Smith. It’s really hard to tear up the SEC like he did as a fluke. Something just tells me the kid is going to figure out how to get open my only real concern with him Is someone just lights him up over the middle and he starts to have injury and/or concussion concerns but he’s seem to be able to avoid big hits over the middle in college and the SEC is pretty much the NFL light when it comes to violence over the middle.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

The Eagles have drafted guys in the past who's value was depressed due to injury concerns. I honestly cannot remember a single time where it has worked out. The Dickerson pick is the one pick in this draft that I really don't like. This kind of thing simply never works out for the Eagles. If someone can remember a situation like this in the past where the guy actually got healthy and made the pick worthwhile, refresh my memory, because I can't.

Comment

Like Smith a lot, but he needs to show big things. Hope he stands up to the pressure of playing here.
        I really like Dickerson and yes he has to stay healthy. IMO he will compete with Dillard, Mailata and Seumalo this year. His ability to play anywhere is why he was picked over Humphrey.
        Williams I know very little about, but heard on one of the sites that some had him as a mid to late second rounder.
        McPhearson sounds like someone who is average/+ at a lot of things and not great at any one thing.
        Gainwell I really like, he is Boston Scott with more size.
        Tuipulotu looks like someone who will eat up blockers, but not sure he will ever do more than that with an occasional flash.
        Jackson looks like Brandon Graham to me. That would be a real sweet result for the rd picked.
        Stevens is very interesting. A sure STer and could be a nice in the box S/LB
        Johnson sounds like Avery, who I didn't think much of. Hope he can contribute, but he could just as easily be nothing more than a practice squad player.
        UDFA
        Newman sounds like the 3rd QB, hope he has some game
        Stroll I find interesting, hope he is at the least a very good blocker
        Awosika sounds like he could be good under the tutelage of Stout
        Bailey could be someone to watch, but the DE room is fairly full
        Grimes could very well push Ward or JJAW off the roster. He looks pretty good for an UDFA
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Don’t think you can be more negative about this draft than me taz. They should get a couple players but overall initial take is terrible draft. We can talk in three years but by that time Howie might’ve screwed two more drafts
          Eagles came in with four of the top 84 picks and had draft capital to make that four of the top 70 but came away with four of the top 123. Smith was a solid pick but people are right to have some concern about how he will hold up. His college career says he will be fine but lots of guys can dominate college but not the NFL. I am okay with the pick but not happy they gave up pick 84 for him. Howie says the team will always build from the line out while I am here and always goes for BPA. Well he moved up solely and fully for need here and didn’t wait for BPA and didn’t build line out. Howie also said hope is not a strategy concerning injuries. Right. Sell your shit somewhere else Howie.
          Dickerson dominated college players but even against them his body couldn’t hold up. there is no immediate impact with a pick that should provide immediate impact even if he can make it in the NFL. I could go on but my thoughts are well documented on here.
          I agree on Williams. My guess is he winds up a rotational guy who gives you some playing time but I don’t see him ever being “THE” guy on the DL. The rest of the draft can give you players we already have. I do think Gainwell will be a good rotational guy but they needed a big body to get yards. Maybe Howard still has something in the tank. Our CBS are so poor I think anyone drafted could compete for a spot so I think Mc might contribute this year. But I don’t see pro bowl talent there. The others are fairly pedestrian however I am interested to see what Jackson and Stevens can do at the NFL level.
          but give it time. In May of 2023 you should know if Howie is still the smartest man in the room
          As for the other teams in the division...... I think they smoked the Eagles and I hate that
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Howie also said hope is not a strategy concerning injuries. Right. Sell your shit somewhere else Howie.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
              Hey Taz as always I appreciate your analysis and your consistency. You’re always there given your opinion and I value it. And I also believe you love this team so much that you hope you’re wrong. I agree with you on Dickerson I just don’t like the risk at 37 it’s almost a first round pick I have no clue why you take a guy with that much of an injury history. Especially when creed Humphrey was right there. And I like Williams a lot but what position is he going to play? I mean I guess an obvious passing Downs you could put him in a defensive tackle what isn’t that why you have Javon Hargraves? I’m happy to see you like the Stephens pic I don’t know a lot about that kid but I’ll take your word for it you think he can play that hybrid position which is so critical now. And I also just disagree with you on Smith. It’s really hard to tear up the SEC like he did as a fluke. Something just tells me the kid is going to figure out how to get open my only real concern with him Is someone just lights him up over the middle and he starts to have injury and/or concussion concerns but he’s seem to be able to avoid big hits over the middle in college and the SEC is pretty much the NFL light when it comes to violence over the middle.
              Appreciate the words Andrewaters. I do try to stay consistent and if I am wrong you have heard me say I am wrong

Yes I do love this team more than anything. I grew up around the Eagles, My Dad had three brothers I can remember sitting on the floor probably 8 or 9 years old and listening to them all laying down the wisdom with my Grandfather. I loved the game and its grown ever since. This past draft was number 42 in my life. I was there with my son and his two friends. They were recording some podcast for this. I sat in on it and gave my opinions. It was great football talk. What I loved is these 20 and 21yr olds were showing the same passion as we all show. It was GREAT. Especially with all the political shit and Covid etc going on. To escape for a weekend for the Birds was amazing.

I never said Smiths college production was a fluke, No way it was not. The thing is college and the Pro's is so much different, even on a National Championship team. Not every week is he facing a Pro prospect across from him, although with Smith when he did he burned them. The college season is shorter. Less rigorous than the NFL season. Slight of build receiver's tend to disappear as the season goes on. Look at Desean for instance. HIs first run through this town he almost always faded towards the end. Really I know everyone is reaching to try and compare Smith to someone coming out of college and honestly you can't. I saw a Calvin Ridley Comparison. Ridley was 6ft 1 190lbs Not a comparison. I saw a Marvin Harrison comparison, he was 6ft 185lbs. coming out of college. The closest thing I could find was Pinkston body type was but Pinkston was 175 coming but also 2 inches taller. Pinkston did not have Smiths college production but he often faded as the season went on. Oh the big thing is as much as they tried they could not get any weight on Pinkston. His body type just didn't have it. I am afraid that Smith has the same thing. You can't tell me the kid wasn't trying to put on weight. I am sure he did. Alabama has a state of the art facility. There just has been no one who has come out in the modern area who compares.

As I have said I want to be DEAD wrong on this one. I will start a thread and take my lumps . I just think for this team at this time it was not the right pick as most of the others were also.

Comment

I agree that Smith is another Pinkston in that he will never gain any weight, it's just not in his DNA. I don't remember Pinky getting injured much either. As for going across the middle I don't think that he'll be exposed to a concussion anymore than any other receiver going over the middle.

As for being DEAD WRONG that might be a good thing. Getting excited about our drafts haven't done us much good in the past.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

True 4 sure 60. Gotta give it time!!
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    I agree that Smith is another Pinkston in that he will never gain any weight, it's just not in his DNA. I don't remember Pinky getting injured much either. As for going across the middle I don't think that he'll be exposed to a concussion anymore than any other receiver going over the middle.

As for being DEAD WRONG that might be a good thing. Getting excited about our drafts haven't done us much good in the past.
                    Only had a 5 year career and the ACL tear he had pretty much ended it. So yes he was not oft injured. Andy also protected him. He never went over the middle. I remember the 50 yard jump balls down the field to him once a game sometimes on the first play. He often outjumped the corner and caught it.

Now how many number 1 receivers don't go over the middle? He is going to have to go over the middle at times in order to be a number 1 wide out.

Again I will put the caveat I hope I am dead wrong on this. I also hope I never have to say this about another top 10 pick we have. Those should be no brainers.

Comment

Taz... I read something today that I thought was interesting regarding Smith's power and strength. Apparently, in 2018 Bama was pressed in the secondary number wise and for a few weeks they moved Smith over to CB. Saban reportedly said he could have been an elite corner as well and was strong enough to press. They tried adding weight to the kid at Bama and it never took but yet he kept getting stronger. There are just freakish athletes sometimes that look lean but play bigger and more powerful than they appear. I also read Smith's catch radius and arm length is larger than Calvin Johnson's was. And he has an innate ability to track and high point the deep throw. We have been begging for that type of player for a while. Last year both Hightower and Watkins I think got deep but couldn't track and catch the ball. I think Hurts can get the ball 65 yards downfield... maybe Smith can catch it?

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                        Taz... I read something today that I thought was interesting regarding Smith's power and strength. Apparently, in 2018 Bama was pressed in the secondary number wise and for a few weeks they moved Smith over to CB. Saban reportedly said he could have been an elite corner as well and was strong enough to press. They tried adding weight to the kid at Bama and it never took but yet he kept getting stronger. There are just freakish athletes sometimes that look lean but play bigger and more powerful than they appear. I also read Smith's catch radius and arm length is larger than Calvin Johnson's was. And he has an innate ability to track and high point the deep throw. We have been begging for that type of player for a while. Last year both Hightower and Watkins I think got deep but couldn't track and catch the ball. I think Hurts can get the ball 65 yards downfield... maybe Smith can catch it?
                        I think the big thing you said there is they tried to put weight on him and could not. We really are not going to know with this until two seasons. If he fades down the stretch this year, it may not be because of his stature it could be many things. But if he does it two years in a row that is where it my concerns come in. Especially in a division where its not going to be won very often by December. You are going to need him most in December as the number 1 wide out.

My doubt once again is less about can he catch a 65 yard pass down the field better than Hightowner and Watkins. No doubt he can, My doubt is can he hold up year in and year out for 17 game schedule plus 3 preseason games and hopefully 4 playoff games. That is the issue. Adding strength is something all college players have to continue to do. Even the strongest guys coming out of college can continue to do that.

BTW he is ours now. I am not going to continue to harp on the negative. I want to switch to the positive.

Comment

Great point there Taz too. Smith is ours now and that's that.

Look at 2019 Tyreek Hill... 56 catches, 860 yards 7 TDs. Mecole Hardeman hasn't had more than 50 catches so far but makes huge impact plays down the field that change field position and are impactful. The biggest benefit of this whole deal might be Goeddert and Ertz. Ertz should come back. Both those guys if they can stay healthy might catch 80 balls for 900 yards and 9-11 TDs. The middle of the field could be wide open.

Comment

Working...
                          X