X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny Gainwell tidbit

One analyst's opinion:

Kenneth Gainwell: honorary From Here guy

During the pre-draft process, I didn’t even spend a ton of time looking at Memphis’ Kenneth Gainwell (he now wants to be called Kenny) because I assumed he’d be gone by the late second round or early third round and the Birds wouldn’t even be in a position to take him.

Getting Gainwell with the 150th pick was a steal and the reasons for that go beyond just the playing field. The dude grew up an Eagles fan!

Gainwell loved Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick growing up. He was a fan of the Birds even before his cousin, All-Pro defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, came to Philly:

Gainwell is a supremely skilled back who I am now designating an honorary From Here guy.
    The Eagles are recreating the Colts’ backfield setup

In 2020, the Colts used three different runnings back that had 96 offensive touches: Jonathan Taylor, Nyheim Hines, and Jordan Wilkins. As Nick Sirianni brings some of those Indianapolis ways to Philly, it’s starting to look like the Colts’ running back situation is one he may replicate.

With Miles Sanders taking the place of Taylor as the feature back, Gainwell can fill the Hines role. Gainwell is more Austin Ekeler than Hines to me, but he fits that mold. Hines had 63 catches out of the backfield last season. While at Memphis, Gainwell had 51 catches as a redshirt freshman in 2019 while also spending some time lined up as a slot receiver.

The addition of Gainwell will keep Sanders fresher, and better, as the 2021 season goes along. Don’t discount Giants killer Boston Scott from having a big game or two either, as Eagles fans know well.
    Last edited by Eagle60; 05-03-2021, 12:08 PM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"
Working...
X