3 First Round Picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 First Round Picks

What do you do with them ? The Colts and Dolphin picks should be 15 or lower and ours should be 10-12 or lower.
    Everyone says 2022 is a better draft class than this year, but do you make 3 picks or Make 1 pick package 2 to get a better pick or try and package all 3 for a top pick ?
    I 'm not personally sure of the quality of players, but there are a bunch of OT and CB mentioned in the way too early mocks, so if indeed the depth is there and the quality is there, I am all for making 3 picks.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

MM... let's say you end up with

That would have gotten you potentially... Zaven Collins who I didn't really like but a lot of scouts did, Kwity Paye, and Greg Newsome.

All reports I am hearing next year's draft will be loaded with talent because a lot of kids came back this year because they didn't get a full year due to Covid. Plus this year "didn't count."

And QB-wise the Malik Willis kid from Liberty is a STUD. Plus, you have Spencer Rattler who I don't like but others do. And my favorite QB that I know of right now is the Brock Purdy kid from Iowa State. He is going to go in the first round and Iowa State is a team to watch next year. The kid is athletic, good arm, smart in the pocket, can run and throw. He has no holes in his game.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I’d like three first round picks but Howie won’t do that.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
        I’d like three first round picks but Howie won’t do that.
        not sure about what he will do, he does like to wheel and deal, but if the draft is indeed loaded, 3 first rounders could make us an impact team for a while
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
          MM... let's say you end up with

And QB-wise the Malik Willis kid from Liberty is a STUD. Plus, you have Spencer Rattler who I don't like but others do. And my favorite QB that I know of right now is the Brock Purdy kid from Iowa State. He is going to go in the first round and Iowa State is a team to watch next year. The kid is athletic, good arm, smart in the pocket, can run and throw. He has no holes in his game.
          I am crossing my fingers that it doesn't come to that. We really need Hurts to show that he can be the guy here, so that we can add roster depth next year.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
            What do you do with them ? The Colts and Dolphin picks should be 15 or lower and ours should be 10-12 or lower.
            Everyone says 2022 is a better draft class than this year, but do you make 3 picks or Make 1 pick package 2 to get a better pick or try and package all 3 for a top pick ?
            I 'm not personally sure of the quality of players, but there are a bunch of OT and CB mentioned in the way too early mocks, so if indeed the depth is there and the quality is there, I am all for making 3 picks.
            I'd like to see them take all 3 picks in Rd 1 too. There may be more reinforcements for the trenches and a top CB taken. The CB pick might depend on what they do this season and the following offseason. FA pick before this season? Nelson is still out there, but I don't know what kind of dough he's asking for...With a cover two type defense, it may be possible to employ the 2nd Rd pick on a CB that fits that scheme. So maybe three firsts will be OL, DL, and S. There's also an advantage to dealing one away for two 2023 picks (1st +low 2nd/high 3rd).

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post

I am crossing my fingers that it doesn't come to that. We really need Hurts to show that he can be the guy here, so that we can add roster depth next year.
              It could be a good thing and possibly necessary to draft a QB with 5 years of control, in case Hurts falters or we can't afford him

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post

Concur. And they have an alternate plan if the current one falters...

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post

Concur. And they have an alternate plan if the current one falters...
                  They have to. Don't forget that Indy is an excellent team with or without Wentz. They can make the playoffs with or without him but in either case that pick will be near the end of the round. Just a thought.
                  Last edited by Eagle60; 05-04-2021, 12:37 AM.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

It all depends on Hurts. If he flat out sucks and there is a true QB stud available you package all 3 and get the franchise player. If Hurts looks great you can use two on other positions (CB & OL) and trade the third for a 2022 1st & 3rd or a 2022 1st and a 2023 2nd. Same deal goes if Hurts looks OK but there is still some doubt. Having 2 first rounders and additional early round picks in the 2022 draft allows you to hedge your bets a bit and have the ability to make a move for a top QB in each of the next two seasons. Not something I would want to have to do, but better to be prepared.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                      It all depends on Hurts. If he flat out sucks and there is a true QB stud available you package all 3 and get the franchise player. If Hurts looks great you can use two on other positions (CB & OL) and trade the third for a 2022 1st & 3rd or a 2022 1st and a 2023 2nd. Same deal goes if Hurts looks OK but there is still some doubt. Having 2 first rounders and additional early round picks in the 2022 draft allows you to hedge your bets a bit and have the ability to make a move for a top QB in each of the next two seasons. Not something I would want to have to do, but better to be prepared.
                      Yep, this. Hurts is going to be given an honest chance, and they have given him some decent weapons most likely. It all depends on that. If he looks great, then you can fill out the team (a CB or two, etc.). If he looks bad, or maybe even a limited ceiling type player, then those picks could help a lot getting to a high pick for a QB (and if Hurts is really bad, and our pick is high to begin with, may not take all of them).

It's hard to imagine Howie being able to sit still and just take three players, though . I'd almost expect some wheeling and dealing either way.

Eagles last picked two players in the first round in 1993 (whiffed on both). Only other time was 1973. Had two first rounders in 2009 but traded one for Jason Peters before the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                        Yes it does come down to Hurts at this point, if he is even the starter. Wonder if Flacco does get a shot to start. He might. I wouldn't put it past this team. I think the % is very very low that that happens but Siarrani has no ties to Hurts. If he thinks Flacco is better he should get to make that call.

Now they also could look to trade one or two or even all three of those picks for an established veteran like DeSean Watson (Which will be real interesting considering his current legal situation). The thing with Watson is he has not been criminally charged, yet, so he could do a settlement and still get suspended by the NFL and most likely will. Is it half a season suspension a full season Don't know. I also wouldn't put it past Howie to trade for Aaron Rodgers. Now he isn't trading all three 1st round picks for Rodgers at 36yrs old he isn't worth that even though he was the MVP last year. I think it could be something like a 1st and a 3rd that could become as high as a 2023 1st etc. They could kick the can down the road with Rodgers who can probably play till he is 40. Who knows where things are in 4 years
                        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

He only gets a shot if Hurts craps the bed. He proved once again last year that he's lost his talent. Nobody is going to touch Watson.
                          Last edited by Eagle60; 05-04-2021, 03:53 PM.
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Taz you bring up an interesting point. If Watson does hold out and not play and Hurts proves to be not the guy 5-7 games into the season, I could see the Eagles saying here is our first, Miami's first, the second which could be a a first, and our first in 2023 which could become a second if the Colts becomes a first... something like that.

And then they resign Watson to a 2021 cap friendly deal that expands in 2022. This would also give Watson a chance to get his legal issues worked out.

I'm not sure I like that idea. I'd love to have Hurts prove he can play and invest and build around him.
                            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Watson is going to have to be way cleared before doing anything IMO but we know Howie doesn't mind risking high picks on long shots so maybe he does the stupid thing and goes for Watson while he is still under investigation. If he does he shouldn't give anything more than a couple seconds.
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X