Two things I'd like to mention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two things I'd like to mention

1. I'm fully onboard with Jalen Hurts. That has been established. However, you only have a 3-year window with him to see if he can play not a 4-year window because he was a second round pick and you don't have the 5th year option. The issue that makes that problematic for me is Hurts didn't get a mega huge first-round QB bonus and so if he looks like he can play a team might buy him away. This actually accelerates the window you have to pay him that much more. If he looks good in 2021 and better in 2022 you have to sign him then because you can't let him get to free agency in a QB starved league. Think about all the teams that could be looking for a QB then... Falcons, Rams, Bucs, Packers, Seahawks, Steelers, plus all the other teams that just have shitty QB play. The window to be right on Hurts is narrow.

2. As for the controversy with Donahoe in the War Room. After hearing what Howie said what if Donahoe is just being kind of a cunt. That's a harsh way to put it but what if Donahoe is the bad guy here. The rest of the room looked excited that they got their guy. And then Howie spun it and got value for picks later associated with this move.

I am going to say Howie did pretty damn good value wise in this draft. He got out of six to 12 and then went back up to 10 to get a guy I personally would have had no issue with them taking at 6. Yes, they had to give up a third rounder to do it but we also got Miami's first rounder next year. So we gotta hope Miami sucks right. And hey the Bills are going to be good and Miami is going to have a much more difficult schedule I believe.

I don't know about the picks but on the moving around and getting value plus what appears to be some consensus in the War Room I think Howie did pretty damn good.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Yea I don't buy it. After hearing how scout input was devalued by Howie most of the time and then to see his scout input overlooked again pissed off Donohoe. Who knows he may have sat there stewing from the second round on. That's the bottom line. Every year, every single year I have heard how well Howie did in the draft. Go back and look because I don't remember people saying how bad the draft was every year yet here we are in 2021 and, up until last week, people were saying Howie's drafts have sucked. Yet we get a batch of new players that we have no idea how they will turn out and people are saying how great he drafted. I don't buy it. Maybe it will be the greatest draft in NFL history but let's not put the s*** on someone else because we like Howie. I'll wait to see how it turns out before bowing down to Howie because he has yet to produce a good draft. I was on record as saying the Eagles had a chance to be relevant next year depending on the draft but I don't think this draft provided that. I hope I am wrong
    As for Hurts I said long ago I am all in on him and didn't want a high draft pick QB to come in. I personally think he has talent. Not Brady/Rodgers talent but certainly not bottom of the barrel talent.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I like Hurts and really like the fact the kid has character and has proven doubters wrong at every level. I really hope he works out. I hated this draft and feel about it the way I felt at the end of the season - Meh. I like the movement and having capital next year will help. I don't think we judge this draft until after next year's draft. I believe the franchise knew they were going no where this year with the Cap issues and planned longer term. I get that the WR room is terrible, but I just cannot get excited about Smith. I hope I am wrong, but we burned two picks on an undersized WR that we hope can get open beyond the outside and a battered OL. I just don't see the value and wonder if we learned our lessen taking injured players in 2nd rd.

I also believe Dallas and New York will be dramatically better next year. Dallas loaded up their D and will have Dak back. They have a LB corp of VandEach (if healthy) Smith, Parsons, and Cox. NY built around Jones and will be much improved.

Comment

I'm not commenting on Howie as a whole I just think if you look for angst you find it. That looked to me like a simple disagreement in the War Room. I'm sure it was forgotten quickly but with the Eagles and Howie it gets amplified. And yes, I agree... we grade this draft in 2024.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Hey AW, this might sound a little harsh but I disagree on a couple of points that you made. I don't think Hurt's contract is going to be any problem after watching him for 2 years. It's certainly not something to worry about now anyway.

As far as the Donahue pick reaction I didn't see anybody else with an enthusiastic reaction to his picks. They looked more like polite responses to me except from a couple of low level scouts kiss the bosses ass. The only one running around crazy was Whoie who got his way again and Donahue has obviously had enough of the little turd.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

2021 is the make or break year for Hurts. Either he shows he can be accurate as a passer and put up points, or I think they move on from him pretty quickly. Maybe Watson. Maybe Rattler in the draft. I feel like we all know Hurts is a leader and is a running threat. I also am not all that up in arms about his bad completion percentage last year because there were alot ot good throws that didn't get caught by a sub average group of targets and smart throwaways behind a brutally bad O-Line.

I expect him to prove he is the starter, and will be here in 2022 and 2023. When that happens, we can deal with resigning him then. Until then many fellow fans and his new coaches will need to see it.

as for Donahoe. It sure seems like all experts say these sort of disagreements happen all the time in the war room. It's simply overblown in Philly because of what recently happened and how Howdy seems to stay in place through his bad track record drafting. I will say this though, I'd take the DC's reaction over the Sr Advisors any day of the week. Time will tell on those two DTs though

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
              2021 is the make or break year for Hurts. Either he shows he can be accurate as a passer and put up points, or I think they move on from him pretty quickly. Maybe Watson. Maybe Rattler in the draft. I feel like we all know Hurts is a leader and is a running threat. I also am not all that up in arms about his bad completion percentage last year because there were alot ot good throws that didn't get caught by a sub average group of targets and smart throwaways behind a brutally bad O-Line.

I expect him to prove he is the starter, and will be here in 2022 and 2023. When that happens, we can deal with resigning him then. Until then many fellow fans and his new coaches will need to see it.

as for Donahoe. It sure seems like all experts say these sort of disagreements happen all the time in the war room. It's simply overblown in Philly because of what recently happened and how Howdy seems to stay in place through his bad track record drafting. I will say this though, I'd take the DC's reaction over the Sr Advisors any day of the week. Time will tell on those two DTs though
              Good point

Comment

Gannon’s reaction is more important. I agree totally. I think that’s the point I was trying to make.

as for Hurts and the contract what I mean is we signed Wentz to a long term deal after or during year 4 and I think we did that because we wanted to go before Trubisky, Goff, Dak and Mahommes because the bar was expected to be raised every time. The point I’m making is we really have a 3 year window... possibly just 2... to decide on Hurts so he had to look good to very good by the end of 2021 and I actually think he will. What you won’t get with Hurts is a hometown deal or any sort of a discount if he looks any good at all because he didn’t get a first round QB bonus so if he looks like a starter in 2024 there will be a bidding contest for him. That’s my point.

and hey by then we should know but look what happened with Carson. What looked like a good deal after year 4 ended up an albatross that is choking the team all of 2021.

if the Eagles have a line of sight to a kid like Malik Willis it might be too good to pass up because a full five years of control unless Hurts looks like Russell Wilson

Comment

I see that you're onto something there AW about Hurts. I remember that EB was the only guy here that was against Wentz's deal and he turned out to be right. This QB hell sucks. At least we'll have a lot of ammo next year I suppose if Hurts craps the bed. I'm hoping that all those QBs look promising that were drafted meaning there won't many teams if any looking for a QB.

Comment

don't forget the fact that we are a QB factory, one will always be a priority
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

On the WIP interview with Howie, he said there were two DTs on the board that they liked, with different skill sets, and one got taken in the interim, and they took the other. While he avoided saying the name, that means it was likely not the CB but DT Alim McNeill that Donahoe wanted. Howie did say they had a second-day grade on the other DT they took, who is also more the NT-type that McNeill is, so in the end they got both types of DT they were looking for, apparently.

Howie did say they traded down *two* spots, and since the team trading up was going for an offensive player (he checked), he said he knew one of the two was still going to be there. Of course in reality we traded down *three* spots, so if he was telling the truth on the players there, there was a possibility they could have missed on both.

Anyways, this is definitely a trial year for Hurts. They likely have the ammo to get another QB next season if it looks like Hurts will not be the guy. They are definitely giving him a fair shot though, with an additional couple of weapons, so I'm fascinated to see. Last year was such a debacle I don't think you can take much from it, other than it's still very possible Hurts can be quite good (but also loads of questions). If he does turn into a stud, deal with the contract timing then.

The fifth-year option is going to be a bit less valuable going forward; if the guy is a full-time starter for most of those first three years the amount goes up a bit, and even making one Pro Bowl means it will be quite expensive (transition tag price), while 2+ Pro Bowls means it's the franchise tag price. I guess you could still franchise him after that. But you could also franchise Hurts; there is always that route to extend the time until free agency, making an earlier contract more attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                        On the WIP interview with Howie, he said there were two DTs on the board that they liked, with different skill sets, and one got taken in the interim, and they took the other. While he avoided saying the name, that means it was likely not the CB but DT Alim McNeill that Donahoe wanted. Howie did say they had a second-day grade on the other DT they took, who is also more the NT-type that McNeill is, so in the end they got both types of DT they were looking for, apparently.

Howie did say they traded down *two* spots, and since the team trading up was going for an offensive player (he checked), he said he knew one of the two was still going to be there. Of course in reality we traded down *three* spots, so if he was telling the truth on the players there, there was a possibility they could have missed on both.

Anyways, this is definitely a trial year for Hurts. They likely have the ammo to get another QB next season if it looks like Hurts will not be the guy. They are definitely giving him a fair shot though, with an additional couple of weapons, so I'm fascinated to see. Last year was such a debacle I don't think you can take much from it, other than it's still very possible Hurts can be quite good (but also loads of questions). If he does turn into a stud, deal with the contract timing then.

The fifth-year option is going to be a bit less valuable going forward; if the guy is a full-time starter for most of those first three years the amount goes up a bit, and even making one Pro Bowl means it will be quite expensive (transition tag price), while 2+ Pro Bowls means it's the franchise tag price. I guess you could still franchise him after that. But you could also franchise Hurts; there is always that route to extend the time until free agency, making an earlier contract more attractive.

Agree...I was thinking to myself that this thing is a bit overblown, after thinking about it with less emotion. As for any percieved preference for either player...I'm sure the scouting dept accounted for scheme fit when looking at McNeill, but he played in a 3-3-5 defense as the nose tackle. That's not to say that he wouldn't be able to adapt to a 4-3, single-gap defense. He's super strong, as is Williams and Tuipulotu who the Eagles selected. Looking at the scouting reports of Williams and Tuipulotu, I sensed a common thread of scheme versatility, high football character and athleticism. Not to say McNeill lacks any of that. I don't know. I didn't like the trade back at the time, but like you said, they did get both types of DT.

Comment

Tuipulotu can play both nose and three-technique. He really raised his profile in 2020 with more consistent tape relative to his total number of games played in the Pac-12. He’s a little undersized to be an interior run stuffer but makes up for it with excellent use of hands and twitchy upper-body power to jostle and shed blocks. The sack production looks OK but he is lacking a go-to move and a counter to get quick wins needed along the interior. He will need to add more mass to play nose in the pros but does have the strength and toughness to find reps at the position. Tuipulotu will check all the boxes for personal and football character and could become a solid rotational defender in an even-front scheme.
                          All Combine and Draft-Related Analysis, News, Video, and Biographical Information for Marlon Tuipulotu

Comment

All Combine and Draft-Related Analysis, News, Video, and Biographical Information for Alim McNeill

Comment

All Combine and Draft-Related Analysis, News, Video, and Biographical Information for Milton Williams

Comment

Working...
                              X