Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles vs the Redskins instant observations

Horrible loss. From beginning to end.

1. One of the most inept officiating performances I have seen in a long time. I say inept vs bad because they were inept. Washington was holding all night not a single call against them. Then they start with the bullshit CJGJ call for roughing, then they miss a major facemask that hurt Godert and caused the fumble. Now I understand you can't under review call the penalty but that reply offical should have damn sure gave them a tongue lashing for missing it. Then it just continued. That call on Graham at the end was technically a foul but he didn't call it until that bitch Heinke started crying. Heinke grounded a ball that they said was back to the l line of scrimmage it was not I mean the outcome of this game was determined by them. Did the Eagles deserve to win? I don't know but...

2. Hurts not a very good game in my opinion. Bad choice throwing deep to AJ Brown on that INT yes Brown had his hands on it but you are throwing into double coverage. Now the next thing was he was not seeing the whole field. First time this year I could see that. The last series before we punted he had guys open he just bounced backwards instead of stepping up in the pocket.

3. The next adjustment made by Gannon will be the first. He just didn't do anything to try and stop the run. Yes they ran for 3 yPC but at some point you have to get off the damn field. Blitz, run Blitz, slant your line run stunts try something. This just sitting back and playing passive. Up until the mid way through the 4th quarter they blitzed one time and it fucking worked. I just don't get it. This passive play. Washington didn't do anything special, they just kept running the ball for 3 and 4 yards and were in 3rd and short the hole night. We couldn't stop it. Because we just didn't do anything else.

4. Helluva catch by Watkins, he should have stayed down. That fumble cost them the game. He stays down they are at the 20 and they run out the clock while scoring and we are 9-0.

5. I am not going to harp on the turnovers because this is not a team that turns over the ball that much but the turnovers tonight were unacceptable. Except for the Goedert one the others were all avoidable.

6.I am not sure what pictures the special teams coach has but he should have been gone. This special teams is not even league average. Roughing punters, giving up fake punts, not blocking for Sippos at the end of the game so he has to run and punt and that gets you a penalty.

7. Somebody put out and APB for AJ Brown. He looked disinterested tonight. Not sure why.

8. Worst game for Darius Slay in an Eagles uniform. Not sure if he determines his depth or the coaches do (I think its the coaches but..) he was beaten pretty good by McClaurin tonight. \\

9. Nice play by Josh Sweat on the strip sack he also had a PBL and a few other stops. He kind of showed up in this game.

10. Fletcher Cox is stealing money.

Its one loss but let me tell you this if they don't figure out how to stop the run and quickly this season is going to quickly go in the toilet
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Missed face mask call was inexcusable but I won’t put this loss on the refs. The birds got outplayed.
    Wash is getting better. Wentz shouldn’t see the field again. The line is playing better and gave Heinicke time. their RB is playing better as his legs get stronger. Their run defense was better than the birds last night.
    Turnovers and ill timed penalties, as they always do, killed the birds. Run defense, as we knew was an issue, killed the birds.
    It’s a game of inches and inches killed the birds. That interception was in Brown’s hands as well as the defender. An inch would’ve made a difference. McLaurin made a damn good catch on the sideline on a ball that was an inch away from Slay knocking it away. The kicker made a 58 and 55, along with others. Breaks just went the skins way and they capitalized with long drives that kept the ball out of the Eagles hands for most of the game.
    Birds have good first half game plans although the second qtr wasn’t as kind last night as it has been. But they have not had the success that they need to have in the second half this year.
    The birds lost last night and Sirianni and the boys need to make sure other teams didn’t just see the ‘how to beat Philly’ blueprint.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

This felt like the Skins Super Bowl. They played almost perfectly other than the bad Heineke throw that CGJ picked.

I will never stop watching the NFL but there are millions of fans who will if they can’t get this PF issue cleaned up. The part of the last play that bothered me the most is Heineke gives himself up and the official doesn’t really recognize it very fast. He should be running in there and blowing the whistle. We probably still don’t win the game though honestly. We turned it over multiple times. The Quez fumble was ridiculous.

I am left thinking nothing else but maybe getting the undefeated season out of the way is a good thing. We better strap it up tho cuz the rest of the season is much more difficult. It’s not crazy to say we could go 4-4 from here on in. We could lose to the Titans, Giants, Cowboys and Packers pretty easily… Rodgers can beat you by himself sometimes. And road games at the the Colts and Bears aren’t gimmes. We are the best team in the NFC. I believe that. We just need to not make dumb mistakes.

Hurts is still a young QB. I am not that concerned. Im
      more concerned with the lack of a run game in the first half. The coaches could have easily called more runs and maybe the first INT doesn’t even happen.

the Skins should cut Wentz today. And if I don’t miss my guess Wentz will never play another NFL game. Who is gonna want this guy? He has money and a ring. Go away. Cannot remember another fall from Grace like this kid.

our great DL sure struggles sometimes. That said when Gannon finally brought the corners up we started to slow them down. Off coverage doesn’t work in a game where the officials decide not to call holding on one team.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
        1. One of the most inept officiating performances I have seen in a long time. I say inept vs bad because they were inept. Washington was holding all night not a single call against them. Then they start with the bullshit CJGJ call for roughing, then they miss a major facemask that hurt Godert and caused the fumble. Now I understand you can't under review call the penalty but that reply offical should have damn sure gave them a tongue lashing for missing it. Then it just continued. That call on Graham at the end was technically a foul but he didn't call it until that bitch Heinke started crying. Heinke grounded a ball that they said was back to the l line of scrimmage it was not I mean the outcome of this game was determined by them. Did the Eagles deserve to win? I don't know but...
        The CJGJ roughing call and the missed facemask were horrible. Sure wish some of those thing were reviewable -- the first to show he was in fact in bounds, and of course the facemask being blatantly missed. Did not think it was a terribly officiated game overall but those two hurt. The Graham one was a pretty obvious foul in my opinion. Heinicke gave himself up when Reddick was two steps away and Graham four, and still took too much contact from both guys. Graham was so far away he might not have seen the knee go down (play is over right then), saw Heinicke kinda sort of start to get up (was on two knees, then went to one knee) and reacted, then realized too late and didn't quite hold up. Heinicke sold it well too, but it can't be that close.

https://twitter.com/NFLUnlimited/sta...68267439800321

The rule on grounding says it has to get back to the line of scrimmage -- but that can be out of bounds (the line of scrimmage is extended out of bounds as far as it needs to make that determination). It did, as that was a 1st down play and the ball landed beyond the yard marker. So that was correctly called.

2. Hurts not a very good game in my opinion. Bad choice throwing deep to AJ Brown on that INT yes Brown had his hands on it but you are throwing into double coverage. Now the next thing was he was not seeing the whole field. First time this year I could see that. The last series before we punted he had guys open he just bounced backwards instead of stepping up in the pocket.
        I thought Hurts was very good. On the INT, Aikman said he saw it, in that the safety looked flat-footed when the throw was made, but he made a great play to get back there. And the throw was perfect, and hit Brown in the hands. He's going to win those most of the time. Unfortunately it bounced right back up into the defender's hands. Kind of fluky really. We had two bad three and outs earlier in the game; the first one Gainwell had a terrible drop and AJ slipped on another play. Second three and out, we had 3rd and 2 and Washington made a good play. That one late series I might give you, but the offense played well all game, other than the turnovers.

3. The next adjustment made by Gannon will be the first. He just didn't do anything to try and stop the run. Yes they ran for 3 yPC but at some point you have to get off the damn field. Blitz, run Blitz, slant your line run stunts try something. This just sitting back and playing passive. Up until the mid way through the 4th quarter they blitzed one time and it fucking worked. I just don't get it. This passive play. Washington didn't do anything special, they just kept running the ball for 3 and 4 yards and were in 3rd and short the hole night. We couldn't stop it. Because we just didn't do anything else.
        This. Ugh. Gannon adjusted at halftime and we were much better afterwards, but Washington ran *51* plays in the first half. You have to adjust way sooner than that. One drive like that, OK. Two... shame on you. Four!? They couldn't do much but Gannon was fine letting them do what they could for far too long.

4. Helluva catch by Watkins, he should have stayed down. That fumble cost them the game. He stays down they are at the 20 and they run out the clock while scoring and we are 9-0.
        We'd have crucified him if he stayed down after not being tackled He just needs to be more aware of who might be coming when he does, or make sure he's wrapping up strongly. Really unfortunate, as I completely agree with you that if he stays down we win the game (after everything else that happened).

5. I am not going to harp on the turnovers because this is not a team that turns over the ball that much but the turnovers tonight were unacceptable. Except for the Goedert one the others were all avoidable.
        Turnovers are what cost us the game, for sure (same as they are what won us a couple of the other games). The INT was kind of fluky -- lucky bounce for Washington. Throwing into double coverage increases the chance of bad luck of course, but when the ball was thrown I think he saw single coverage but the safety made a great play. Can't hate on Goedert, getting dragged down with the facemask and all. The Watkins one was crushing, and avoidable. That was bad. Fourth one avoidable but meaningless to other than from a stat perspective.

6.I am not sure what pictures the special teams coach has but he should have been gone. This special teams is not even league average. Roughing punters, giving up fake punts, not blocking for Sippos at the end of the game so he has to run and punt and that gets you a penalty.
        We are definitely bad. Unsure if it is the coaching or the talent -- we don't allocate a couple of lineup spots to special team studs the way Kelly and even Pederson did. Covey is fairly reliable catching balls but that's about it -- seems to be tackled by the first guy down most of the time. They aren't killing us with turnovers, and Elliott has been good. Siposs made a good play to get the punt off but the poor blocking cost us the two-minute warning and 40 seconds of clock time as a result. Special teams is below-average on everything other than kicking. Coverage teams have been OK-ish but that's about it -- Dallas game we gave up some bad returns.

7. Somebody put out and APB for AJ Brown. He looked disinterested tonight. Not sure why.
        He was injured early, and played through it, seemed to me.

8. Worst game for Darius Slay in an Eagles uniform. Not sure if he determines his depth or the coaches do (I think its the coaches but..) he was beaten pretty good by McClaurin tonight. \\

9. Nice play by Josh Sweat on the strip sack he also had a PBL and a few other stops. He kind of showed up in this game.

10. Fletcher Cox is stealing money.

Its one loss but let me tell you this if they don't figure out how to stop the run and quickly this season is going to quickly go in the toilet
        Generally agree. Slay had at least one good PBU, and maybe Gannon just positioned him poorly, but McLaurin had a great night, especially on plays that really mattered. The run defense... wasn't too bad in that they were not getting gashed. 3.1 yards per carry against, and a long run of 11. That is usually "winning" vs. the run. But it was consistent, and we did nothing to disrupt it until the second half. The 3rd down defense was atrocious in the first half. Granted, many of those were 3rd and very short due to long runs on 2nd down. Washington got into a comfort zone and Gannon was fine letting them stay there. Not sure that we make any adjustments (offense or defense) before halftime but it was painfully obvious long before then that something was needed.

This was the type of game I feared. Our defense is only great once you add in the turnovers (and they got two more last night). The passive run defense is great when you are up 2-3 scores, since the other team is killing the clock for you. In tight games or when we are behind, it can kill you, so games were we have bad turnover luck it can be an Achilles heel. It's the same defense as last year, except we have the pass defense horses this year to shut down passing games, but rushing-oriented attacks can still do that, where we depend on the other team making mistakes (either penalties or turnovers). Washington played clean in the first half.

Jordan Davis is the one guy who can let that scheme work, maybe. I don't think they are running up the middle the same way if he's in there. So he's pretty important, and without him Gannon is going to have to adjust. Both the Colts and Titans likely need the same game plan against us, and if we aren't careful, they could do the same thing. Titans especially.

Comment

Back to the Hurts INT. Technically it did hit AJ in the hands but he had a defender draped on him from behind and the safety was right there. It simply was not the place for that throw. AJ never was really open on that it would have taken a perfect pass and scenario very low percentage pass to complete. If AJ was playing hurt as everyone said he was then why is he running go routes? The whole play bothers me. Still there were other times where Hurts bailed instead of staying in there and delivering the ball. There was one that really bother me, if he steps up in the pocket he has clear vision to a wide open Watkins instead he steps back tries to run to his right and is sacked. Just wasn't his night. Going to happen. Not saying he didn't make some good plays the throw to Geodert for the TD was something new and something to put on tape to get defense to back off stacking the line on them.

Losing Geodert for the year on that horrible facemask while the ref Helverson was looking right at the play still is really grinding my gears. Its beyond the 3 points it stalled a drive and that is not good. If he is not being yanked down by his facemask he doesn't get hurt. That is why the rules are in place and the officials have to call them. The play on Graham was technically a foul said that earlier the problem I had was this, the official never blew the whistle, the way Heinke went down he kind of took a knee but didn't. Its really hard to let up in that situation. I think the ref should have swallowed the whistle in that situation. Now I don't think that determined the game. I don't think the come down and score after that anyway.

What determined the game was the Hurts INT. yes it was earlier in the game, but we were up 14-7 and driving. We put another score on the board there and, now you are up by two scores and if Washington wants to play run the ball for 3yrd and a cloud of dust so be it. It would take half the game to draw even. By that point we probably would have put more points on the board. Then if the refs continue there BS it really doesn't matter to much.

Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

A J wasn't open last week either and he scored a TD on a bomb. I guess that's what you do with a # 1 receiver these days.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

That first TD in Brown's 3-TD game was a bad decision that turned out well -- that was obviously double coverage, with a safety looking back at the throw. Fitzpatrick was likely so surprised at the decision to throw it back there he wasn't truly ready to make the play. I think Smith was coming wide open underneath (though still deep) on that play -- there was a clip of Hurts apologizing to Smith on the sidelines afterwards.

This throw was more defensible, but yes, Brown was not open on this play. But if you get Brown one on one deep, you probably take that shot. The defender was right there so it may well be incomplete, but the INT was fluky and not something you would normally expect. Brown would at least normally prevent the interception if it was a contested ball, but didn't need to here because it got to his hands -- it went wrong after that. That all said, yes that INT did change momentum, at least for our offense, since our defense refused to adjust their approach. And maybe having Brown run that route while a bit injured wasn't the best idea, but that was the play call. It was a more risky throw than normal, but the payoff would have also been pretty high. You might also hope for a pass interference call on a play like that. Didn't happen. In a close game, you can point to any number of plays which could have changed the outcome, of course. The Watkins fumble was the last one -- he doesn't fumble, I think we score. Heck he probably didn't need to dive for the ball; he stays on his feet he scores the TD right there. Hurts made some mistakes, sure, but every QB always does. Usually the scrambling instead of being patient still results in a somewhat positive play and doesn't kill us, but there were a couple plays he wanted back for sure. But he wasn't in the top 5 or even 10 reasons we lost.

The Goedert non-call was supremely frustrating. Of course, calling it wouldn't have helped the injury, but it would the fumble, which may have been enough. I sure hope they fine that guy. That was just a devastating result all around, and it's hard to believe all the refs missed it. Going to hurt us for quite a while. Reports are that Goedert's season is not over though. Sounds like he'll go on IR and open up a spot for Tyree Jackson though.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                A J wasn't open last week either and he scored a TD on a bomb. I guess that's what you do with a # 1 receiver these days.
                we have a WR who gets most of those 50/50 balls, I don't have a problem with trying it
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I thought Hurts was fine. He looked like someone who was certain he would get the game winning TD until Barnett screwed the pooch. I love his approach to the game.

my biggest concern is Gannons inability to scheme up a run stop. It feels like teams can get 4-5 yards every run play.

Comment

Gannon adjusted in the second half. But you can't wait until halftime once you see the other side's game plan, and that game plan is working. We only gave up 3.1 yards per rush -- that requires perfect execution by the other team to make sustainable, i.e. no penalties or drops or things of that nature. The Redskins did that in the first half, so credit to them, but we didn't try to disrupt that one bit until the second half. But yes, we got precious few tackles for loss in their running game. They all seemed to fall forward. Just torturous to watch.

Comment

Aikman said Brown was the right read?
                      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

The problem I had was we came out flat for a big game. Division games are huge and mean everything when playoff schedules come around. Damit! Too much listening to how good you are.
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                          Aikman said Brown was the right read?
                          Aikman at the time said he saw what Hurts was seeing, in that the safety looked flat-footed and it appeared he had Brown 1-on-1 over the top. But the safety made a good play to get back in time. So not necessarily the right read, since the intent was to find Brown 1-on-1 and did not, but it looked that way for the split second Hurts made the decision. So maybe credit the defense some for that. The ball was thrown in a spot it could not really be intercepted though, since the defender would have had to go through Brown, but he jumped over him as the ball arrived so when it bounced up off of Brown's hands, he got a fairly lucky INT. Given the safety got back there, that is probably a PBU well more often than not, but would very rarely be an INT.

Comment

I don't think we can out flat. It looked early on like we were going to run away with this game. Strip sack, TD. Next possession, TD. 14-7 lead. The only thing flat was Gannon's defensive approach that let them march down the field and take all the time of possession in the first half. His entire philosophy makes no sense to me. If you have the better team, and the better offense, give them as many opportunities as possible. If they make a big play and score a TD, your offense if back out there and can go to work.

Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              The problem I had was we came out flat for a big game. Division games are huge and mean everything when playoff schedules come around. Damit! Too much listening to how good you are.
                              I think this is the main reason too. Came out flat after reading too many press clippings

Comment

Working...
                              X