Defensive Line Provides a Beat Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive Line Provides a Beat Down

sacks, hurries, tackles for loss, QB hits, pretty much across the board. What a performance
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I am completely convinced now that first round picks should almost always be DE/DT or OL. To watch the Birds dominate the LOS on both sides most of this season has been eye opening. With this Saints pick, I will have zero issue with any player along the defensive front and with a second round pick taking a RT to prepare for Lane to retire.

You absolutely need a QB but we have one now. You must protect him and run enough to threaten the defense and you must be able to pressure the QB with 4-5 players at the LOS.

if Howie is using that logic now and just sticks too it we will have an amazing run here.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I’m certainly an advocate for the DL/OL philosophy and I think Howie gets this from Andy. I would say however that you have to be open to a generational type talent at CB or maybe WR although I’m not sure a WR can be a generational talent. And you always have to consider QB as a first round talent. But LB S RB etc should not be a first round focus unless you
      just can’t get out of your slot. The birds are in good shape really because they have some talent in the wings in Jurgens and Dickerson. Sign Seaumalo and see what transpires with Dillard. Firm believer first pick and maybe first two are edge and DT.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

I don't realy care what we get in the first, we should be getting a generational talent. Hit on the pick and it won't matter the position
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Not all drafts have a generational talent. Just hope we get a very good player. Think the Saints will win another game or two, so hopefully we get a top 10 pick out of it.

But yeah, I think DL somewhere is the most glaring need. The guys we have are getting old. The other one I think we may go for is a CB, since Bradberry is most likely going to walk.

If we get a really high pick, a small trade-down might be a possibility, unless one of those generational talents is available. On the other hand, there are other teams that are going to have high draft picks they got via trade, and not all may be looking for QBs. Seattle has the Broncos pick, and they could well be looking for a QB, or maybe they will roll with Geno Smith for a bit. The Lions have the Rams pick, and unsure if they want to roll with Goff or grab a QB either. Both of those likely to be better picks than the Saints.

Comment

I think we will still have some of our older guys back on the DL next year. If we win the SB we actual IMO have some leverage. Suh, Joseph, Cox, Graham and Hargrave may see the rotation as a way to stay around, continue to possibly collect more jewelry, stay in the locker room that they all love and play for one of the best coaching staffs in the league. They are more likely to need a CB or S in round 1.

Comment

MM… very possible but Quinn is gone and I think BG retires. Maybe Cox and Hargrave stay because they love it here but players ALWAYS want to be paid. I think an edge rusher and a CB makes sense. They are gonna have to pay Hurts. And Edwards, White, Bradberry and CGJ are going to want money too.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Quinn hasn't done enough that I even considered him, But these other guys love the game and playing at a high level and only getting 30 some reps has to be intriguing. Cox, and Graham have theirs, I could see them staying another season. I would be trying to talk Joseph into another season, he doesn't miss games. At the same time, I could see more older, quality vets wanting to play for hardware and knowing they can dominate with reduced reps. Things are gonna be interesting for sure

Comment

Long way to go but it will be an Edge guy or if there is a stud OT it will be him.
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

IMO it will be edge rusher, DT, hybrid DE/DT or OL.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                      sacks, hurries, tackles for loss, QB hits, pretty much across the board. What a performance
                      They left Dodge with their tails between their legs!
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                      X