Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win was a conspiracy

49ers player thinks NFL conspired against team after Purdy got hurt

On more than one occasion in Sunday’s NFC championship game, the 49ers beat themselves — whether it was multiple drive-extending penalties on the same drive, or a roughing the kicker on a punt, or dumb, late-hit penalties that fired up the crowd.

But at least one 49ers player believes it wasn’t a case of dumb mistakes from the visiting Niners, but rather a conspiracy at the highest levels to make sure the Eagles — and not the 49ers — advanced to the Super Bowl. Here’s more from Michael Silver’s story in he San Francisco Chronicle, which picks up right after Christian McCaffrey scored the Niners’ only points, tying the game at 7-7 in the second quarter. (Bold emphasis is my own.)

The Eagles responded with a 14-play, 75-yard touchdown drive facilitated by three defensive penalties that negated potential stops. Suffice it to say, the Niners weren’t thrilled with the officiating.
    It felt like once Purdy got hurt, someone at the league called down and said, ‘Make sure the Eagles get to the Super Bowl, and not them,’” one Niners player told me. I’m withholding his name because he would prefer to keep his money, rather than paying a fine to the NFL.
    That may be a bit over the top, but let’s just say he wasn’t the only frustrated person in that locker room.
    Johnson, thrown into a tough situation, fumbled a shotgun snap on the second play of the next possession, and Reddick recovered at the Niners’ 30 with 1:11 remaining in the half. When running back Boston Scott scored Philly’s third rushing touchdown with 21 seconds remaining, the 49ers were in a hellacious hole.
    Michael Silver, The San Francisco Chronicle

Whatever helps you sleep at night, anonymous 49ers player.

— Matt Mullin

ADVERTISEMENT

7 hours ago
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Right
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Just someone frustrated at the loss.

Comment

Not being able to admit you got beat by a much better team is a massive character flaw.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Sorry, my guess is that there was never a player that said this---- only the writers' frustration.

Comment

gotta agree MDFan. And if it actually is a player, they got some serious issues they need to fix. Or Shanahan will continue to be a regular season dynamo and playoff choker

Comment

My money is on Bosa. His brother is a bitch too

Comment

Three red zone rushing TDs where the RBs were untouched from 6, 13, and 10 yards. Oline was dominant and we weren’t losing that game if Purdy played or not.
                Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                  You're Gay and I'm rich
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Or a whiner
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I think you may be correct!

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me how no one is ever responsible for themselves anymore. It’s so much easier to blame someone else for your shortcomings and failures, than to man up and take responsibility. If MD is right, and the writer is making this up, he should be fired immediately, and blackballed from ever writing again. If it’s a player, they need some serious help and maybe a good ass kicking along the way to help them get their head out of their ass.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                        X