No announcement yet.

Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You must be more tolerant of the audience than I am. I had a great view though. direct center balcony. Unfortunately there was a lady behind me coughing the whole time.

I thought his rendition of Gold was spectacular. Then some asshole has to yell in the middle of it. Hopefully we'll get some bootlegs of this tour with a clean version of that.

Comment

• The audience was annoying overall but the dude who told people to "pipe down" was pretty funny especially when RA commented on him.

The new tunes sounded great and flowed together nicely with his other work. All the tunes were great but Everybody Knows, Two & Crossed out Name were standouts for me.

Comment

• I'll be interested to see others "Best of" lists as I feel it was a bit of a down year for music. I hope to take some gems from others' lists to hear more. Here's my stab at a top 10.

1) Bon Iver - Bon Iver
        2) The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
        3) The Black Keys - El Camino
        4) Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire
        5) My Morning Jacket - Circuital
        6) Real Estate - Days
        7) Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Mirror Traffic
        8 )Radiohead - The King of Limbs (one of the bigger disappointments of the year for me but it still qualifies)
        9) TV On the Radio - Nine Pts. of Light
        10) Washed Out - Within & Without

Comment

• Kind of a down year for music, if you ask me.
          Steve, you listen to a lot more new music than I, so I can't really provide much more than you...but,
          I'm sorry, can't have 'The King of Limbs' on a 'Best of' list. Big, big disappointment. They are on cruise control.
          Fleet Foxes' Helplessness Blues' deserves to be on the list (particularly ahead of Radiohead).
          Just began listening to Ryan Adams (thanks to Pandora), and really like what I'm hearing. I'll have to check out 'Ashes & Fire' (Or is it 'Fire and Ashes???')
          Saw Beirut at 9:30, and have to add 'The Rip Tide' to the list! Zach Condon is great!
          Bon Iver produced the best album and best concert of the year for me!

Have to add Gillian Welch: The Harrow & The Harvest
          Last edited by stocknowledge; 12-21-2011, 02:15 PM.
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

• you know more "new music" than you let on stock. Yes, Radiohead was disappointing and that album was really way too self indulgent but to me, it was still one of the 10 best. I guess I'm a little burned out on Fleet Foxes. I appreciate the tunes but they are all blending together to me in the sound they've created so I haven't enjoyed it as much.

Vin turned me on to Ryan Adams. A great starting point is his album "Gold" which is the most tangible. Then try "Easy Tiger" and then explore. He's such a prolific songwriter that he has a ton of music. The latest album "Ashes & Fire" is very quiet and is probably more easily appreciated once you have an ear for his music.

Bon Iver was great in concert!

Comment

• We need to get Vin's ideas on the year 2011 in music!
              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

• yeah, like steve said, start with Gold. It's a LONG album and nearly perfect all the way through (even the bonus disc) except for a horrible song called "Enemy Fire".

Heartbreaker is great too. And then Ashes and Fire would be my next recommendation. Then followed by Demolition, which is a bunch of demos yet turned out to be a great album.

Steve - have you heard the old Whiskeytown stuff? There are some gems on those old albums. he performed a few at the Academy of Music.

Ihaven't thought much about the best of 2011 but I gotta say I'm very happy to have discovered Tom Waits Heart of Saturday Night. Only a few decades too late.

Comment

• I've listened to a little bit of Whiskeytown and liked what I've heard.

My newest earworm is M83. I liked his/their last album - this one is electronica magic.

Comment

• I've liked everything I've heard from Whiskeytown that I've heard on Pandora. Where should I start?

Comment

• I made out my top 10 list without having gotten to know M83's new album. It's definitely in there somewhere. What a great double album!

Comment

• Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                        I made out my top 10 list without having gotten to know M83's new album. It's definitely in there somewhere. What a great double album!
                        it is now #2 for the year for me. It's fantastic!

Comment

• Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                          I've liked everything I've heard from Whiskeytown that I've heard on Pandora. Where should I start?

The one with Jacksonville Skyline on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by musicman View Post
                            quality not too great,but you get the idea
                            Anyone with Paladia on their cable,Black Country Communion is on tonite at 8
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

• Got a nice little bonus last night when I went to see Kathleen Edwards and Justin Vernon showed up to play with her for like 5 songs.

Voyageur is a fantastic album.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                                Got a nice little bonus last night when I went to see Kathleen Edwards and Justin Vernon showed up to play with her for like 5 songs.

Voyageur is a fantastic album.
                                Wow!

Comment

Working...
                                X