• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Positive the End is Near

Shutdown Corner
    Mon May 03, 2010 9:04 am EDT
    Michael Irvin talks with Dez Bryant about responsibility

By Chris Chase

Tax tips from Wesley Snipes, hair care advice from Donald Trump and career-planning management courtesy Lindsay Lohan are a few of the things I'd value more than a talk with Michael Irvin about how to be a responsible football player. This is the guy who once slashed a teammate's neck with scissors and was the subject of this excerpt from the Aug. 5, 1996 issue of Sports Illustrated:
    On the night of March 3 Michael Irvin was caught in a Dallas hotel room with 60 grams of cocaine, about three ounces of marijuana, two topless dancers and an array of sex toys; he pleaded no contest to a felony charge of cocaine possession; he and several of his party-boy teammates were found to have frequented the infamous White House, rented by several Dallas Cowboys players and used as a haven for extramarital liaisons; he flouted the law in Texas by ignoring a grand jury summons until the Dallas County DA threatened to arrest him; and he shrugged off inquiries by NFL officials about the incident, defiantly proclaiming that he "definitely" didn't have a substance abuse problem.
    Yet there was Irvin this weekend preaching to newest Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant about the responsibilities of wearing the hallowed No. 88 in Dallas. (A number worn by Irvin and Drew Pearson, among others.) The Hall of Famer met with Bryant in front of cameras for about five minutes to give him some words of encouragement after his first practice sessions with the team. Said Irvin:
    "[It's] the responsibility of wearing Drew Pearson's number. A lot of people have worn that Cowboys helmet before him and the honor it is to wear a Cowboys uniform. He plays for everybody that has played before him and for everybody that is going to play after him.
    "I just wanted to give him a sense of the enormity of it all. And I think he understands that. And he remains humble, and that's a good sign."
    Yes, because if there's one player who remained humble while wearing No. 88 for the Cowboys, it was Michael Irvin.
    I'm very glad that Irvin seems to have straightened out his life. He's actually become pretty good on television, mainly because he still has that charismatic showman flair which made him impossible to ignore on and off the football field during his heyday. But this holier-than-thou con he likes to perpetuate is a joke. Irvin probably has plenty of good advice for Dez Bryant about what and what not to do during his NFL career. Being honest with one's self is probably a good start.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY View Post
    But this holier-than-thou con he likes to perpetuate is a joke.
    Seriously. He should've done jail time for almost killing Everett McIver. Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in Texas gets you, what, two years minimum, 20 years max?

Him? No jail time, probably a couple million in hush money to McIver (care of Jerry Jones), and he's in the Hall of Fame with a regular TV gig.
    Last edited by balto-eaglefan; 05-04-2010, 10:49 AM.
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

There were a number of times he could have done jail time during his playing days. I wish he had spent some time in a cell - it might have allowed him to understand just how lucky he was. He (along with Dion) remain my most hated Cowboy players of all time.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

As total a piece of shit as I have ever seen in person. He incorporates all the worst traits a human can have...hypocritical, a liar, phony, irresponsible, arrogant, flagrantly immoral, self-absorbed and one more that he really has no control over...very, very stupid.

We'd all be richer people if he had just had the common decency to die there on the field that day at the Vet. Followed by no funeral or burial. Just put him in a dumpster with the rest of the game-day trash.

Comment

OK TP, tell us how you really feel. What an eloquent rant!
          Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
          Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

All the philly fan defenders always say something like "no, we were cheering because the cart came to get Irvin off the field."

Meanwhile, tino jumps in and says "fuck that, I was cheering cause I thought the crackhead was dead!"

Comment

The good news is...I'm being serious...this is the guy giving Dez Bryant guidance.

That should mean he'll be absolute headcase my week 8 of his rookie season.
              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
              Playoff Appearances:
              NFC Title Games:
              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                There were a number of times he could have done jail time during his playing days. I wish he had spent some time in a cell - it might have allowed him to understand just how lucky he was. He (along with Dion) remain my most hated Cowboy players of all time.

Yup. To this day if I see either face on the tube--- I changer the channel. (Unless of course I was watching COP'S)

Comment

... He's actually become pretty good on television...
                  Really?
                  "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

The good news is...I'm being serious...this is the guy giving Dez Bryant guidance.

That should mean he'll be absolute headcase my week 8 of his rookie season.

Didn't stop Irvin from getting his rings. Just sayin....
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Agreed. I try to be a good Christian but I gotta say I had zero problems with his career ending on the Vet turf. He is a MONSTER and IMO is still capable of anything and everything to get what he wants off the field. I wouldn't call 911 if I saw him laying in a ditch.
                      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

See, the problem with Irvin as a mentor is that Irvin actually won and he also is just going to make him an asshole. That in an of itself won't ruin Dez or the Cowboys.

We need TO to tutor him so that he is batshit crazy and has serious psychological issues and also throws the QB under the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                          Really?
                          So we are clear - that original post was from a website. I think irvin is awful at everything he does and is.
                          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                          Playoff Appearances:
                          NFC Title Games:
                          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

So we are clear - that original post was from a website. I think irvin is awful at everything he does and is.

BP,
                            Have to strongly disagree with you. He does a superb job of being an obnoxious asshole.

Comment

Michael Irvin's mother was a prostitute, and he should definitely be tazed.
                              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Working...
                              X