Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Random Thread (when you just don't feel like starting a thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we talk Housewives here? Anyone else have a spouse into that crap??????
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

• With infrequent exceptions, I really try to avoid exposure to information about the lives of people upon whom the media shines it's light, whether they be entertainers with actual talent, athletes, or politicians. I try even harder to seal off my consciousness from ANY exposure to useless and utterly contemptible trash like the Kardashians, the Trumps or the Hiltons...people/families of less than zero consequence to mankind. This avoidance, however, is not easily accomplished.

Sadly, a significant portion of the American population would seem to have lives so empty and devoid of meaning that they follow with great interest the lives of people in the media spot light. And whether it is responding to an existing public appetite or acting to create that appetite, the media...even the evening network news... is positively awash with trivial and inane information regarding 'celebrities'. It becomes impossible to avoid totally.

So FWIW, I'm most offended by the people who work the hardest to get in my face/ears. And, other things being equal, the less talented or worthwhile they are, the more offensive I find them. And when such dip shits are blatantly and repeatedly dishonest in order to gain some advantage...well then they get on 'my list'.

And finally, I'm not QUITE as disturbed/angry/morbid as some of my posts might suggest. However, I do have a VERY dark sense of humor that is sometimes mistaken as serious mental illness.

If I were Catholic, Michael O'Donoghue would be my patron saint.

Comment

• More like Michael Myers...

I find "celebrities" and the people that cover them to be completely useless. I especially hate reality shows and get pissed off every time I walk into a room and something shitty like Mob Wives or Jersey Shore or Real Housewives of Whatever is on. I'm not a nielsen household but I feel like even having it on contributes to these fucking shows multiplying like these skanks.

However, I do like actors and musicians with real talent. Unfortunately, our society celebrates the most useless ones and they get the most airtime. There's an inverse relationship between talent and media coverage.

I read something recently I thought was perfect: we've (d)evolved from a culture of character to a culture of personality. It used to be the most respected and popular people were the smartest and the bravest. (think founding fathers, think mark twain) Now the most popular and worshipped (yes, there are tons of idiots out there who think Paris Hilton is a role model and their idol OMGZ~!!) are simply the people with the most "personality"... so little girls and little boys (because of their fucktard parents) think that in order to be liked, you have to have attitude like those dumbass mob wives women or shake your tits all day long like Katy Perry.

Basically, we'll all be glad we're dead in 50 years.

Comment

• A few thoughts...

I hate reality television. Really HATE it. For Christ's sake, I don't give a f'ck about any of you, your lives, or anything else. It amazes me how prevailant it's become on TV. I'm hoping that it will eventually run out of steam and disappear altogether.

The only thing I like about Kim Kardashian is her butt. She has a nice butt. But, I'd bet good money that she's not good in bed. Lousy, as a matter of fact, even if she does have a nice butt.

Katy Perry is pretty damned hot, but she's over exposed, and I'm tired of her schtick.

Kate Upton is freakin gorgeous, and I love how the fashion industry originally felt that she wasn't high fashion enough, only to find out that men don't give a shit about high fashion. She was too popular for them to downplay.

All that said, the bottom line is that pop culture in 2012 is a stinking, festering, sewer. It's ugly, it stinks, but people lap it up. I think that kinda says something about our society today.

It sucks.

Comment

• Stick to AMC and FX, and away from the major networks and you'll feel better.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

• I get up at 5:00 every day but on the weekends I usually sleep in until my son starts to jump on me around 7:00. Last Sunday I woke up at 5:00 and couldn't get back to sleep so I went down stairs and eventually ended up looking for something to watch on TV. I'm not sure why but I ended up watching "An Idiot Abroad" from On-Demand and I found it pretty amusing. If you get a chance to see it it's worth watching. Not all of the episodes are great, but most are very good.
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

• HBO and Showtime are producing some great shows.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                  HBO and Showtime are producing some great shows.
                  on HBO - Gervais' "Life's too Short" is hilarious.

I'm 9 episodes into "Homeland" on Showtime. Great twists & turns at this point.

Comment

• i've got to check out homeland. I'm watching Shameless and House of Lies. House of Lies cracks me up.

The first episode of Life's Too Short cracked me up. The rest were ok.

Comment

• I had been getting HBO for free for the last 4 months and hardly watched it. The free trial ended and I happened to call to check something on my cable bill and asked about adding HBO again. I was shocked to hear that Comcast now charges $30 a month for their premium channels!! My wife and I have been "renewing" with Comcast every 6 months for the last 3 years. As long as we call before our "new" customer deal expires they will give us the current promotion for "new" customers. If we don't renew with them we lose the "new" customer status and would get their regular rates. At $30 for HBO they can keep it! I'll get it for free in June or go without it. I'm not paying these leeches anymore than I already am!
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

• That Liam Neeson scene was ridiculously good. I've played it for at least 3 people now.

Comment

• Mad Men starts up again on March 30th!

Other current fav's are Walking Dead, and Justified. My guilty pleasure is Revenge. that's about it for the "free TV"

As for the pay channels, of course Game of Thrones(Season 2 is on it's way).

There are actually a few reality shows I check out on occasion. Miami/NY Ink, and Sons of Guns.....oh, and Swamp People. Not sure if it is being continued, but Deadliest Catch was a damned good reality show, as well. They don't ALL suck.

Comment

• Actually Mad Men starts back March 25th and Game of Thrones is back April 1st. There is some good TV coming up.

Comment

• Anyone listening to 97.5? Trent cole is a terrible interview

Comment

• The Eagles have assured Evan Mathis that they’ll beat the Ravens’ contract offer for the veteran free agent guard, who blossomed playing for the Eagles last year.

Mathis, an unrestricted free agent, took one visit, to Baltimore, and received an offer for a long-term multi-year deal before he left late Friday morning.

According to a league source, Mathis informed the Eagles of the details of the offer, and the Eagles told him they would not only match the offer but beat it.

Mathis left Baltimore and was scheduled to fly home to Arizona to weigh the two offers. He is not expected to take long to make a decision.
                                One of the things I've never found out is how exactly they do this. Does Baltimore make a formal binding offer in writing and Mathis' agent certify a copy of it for the FO?

Otherwise not sure how they don't fudge it (OK, lie out their stinkin agent asshole), or why the Ravens couldn't renege if Philly doesn't match (Umm, sorry Evan, we had some cap changes...)

Anyone know how it works for sure?

Comment

Working...
                                X