X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eagles targeted high character players in the 2013 NFL draft

The Eagles targeted high character players in the 2013 NFL draft

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/04/...aft/#more-9924

Clearly, one of the themes of the Eagles’ draft was selecting players with high character. The Eagles’ first 6 picks all received outstanding grades from ESPN’s scouting reports in the “intangibles” sections. They grade from 1 (“exceptional”) to 5 (“marginal”). I guess “marginal” is a nice way of calling somebody a jerk. Here’s what they had to say for each player the Eagles picked:

Lane Johnson: Rating: 1. Exceptional. Outstanding student. Academic All-Big 12 First Team in 2011 and 2012. No off the field incidents to our knowledge. Hard worker and determined football player. Versatile athlete with experience at QB, TE, DE, ROT and LOT. Human relations major at OU.

Zach Ertz: Rating: 2. Above average. Accountable on and off the field. Active in community service. Not a partier and not a drinker. Continues to mature and develop as a leader.

Bennie Logan: Rating: 1. Exceptional. Outstanding football character. Earned right to wear prestigious No. 18 as a junior in 2012. Tradition goes back to QB Matt Mauck, who wore No. 18 during 2003 national title run. Jersey is handed down to a player best representing what it means to be a Tiger on and off the field. Coordinator John Chavis on Logan: ‘It’s important to help your young guys learn how to practice, and leadership is not just in the games. It’s every day. It’s every minute you’re on the field, and when you’ve got a guy like Bennie Logan in your room, he’s going to set the tempo’.

Matt Barkley: Rating: 1. Exceptional. Disciplined individual. Showed good leadership during transition from Pete Carroll to Lane Kiffin, in addition to severe sanctions levied on USC football program prior to the 2010 season. A three-time team captain and was the first sophomore in USC history to be named team captain. Understands the necessary sacrifices on the field, in the film room and weight room in order to be successful at the most demanding position in professional sports. Holds a career mark of 34-13 in 47 starts. Matt and his family have spent recent Christmas’ volunteering with orphans in third world countries.

Earl Wolff: Rating: 1. Exceptional. Excellent intangibles. Young man of high character. Grades out very high in terms of football character and intelligence. Graduated with a degree in sport management in December, 2011 (in three-and-a-half years). His mother, Sharon Davis, is a master sergeant in the National Guard. Davis was deployed in Kuwait, with the 113th Sustainment Brigade, for a year. She worked in logistics and acquisitions.

Joe Kruger: Rating: 2. Above average. Son of Paul and Jennifer Kruger. Father played football for Oregon State. Oldest brother Paul is 3-4 outside linebacker who won a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens last year and signed with the Cleveland Browns during the off-season. Older brother Dave played defensive tackle for the Utes last year. Brother-in-law Tony Bergstrom is a backup offensive tackle for Oakland Raiders. Hard worker.

Jordan Poyer: Rating: 4. Below average. Involved in an altercation this past May at a bar in Corvallis and was charged with misdemeanor criminal trespassing.

David King: No information given.

So no chance we were taking honey badger?

Comment

I don't know. Poyer had an issue and Wing, FA punter, missed his last college bal game due to failed drug test.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
        I don't know. Poyer had an issue and Wing, FA punter, missed his last college bal game due to failed drug test.
        Poyer didn't sound like much of an issue -- tried to get back into a bar he got banned from. From the sounds of it, the combine numbers more than anything probably sunk him, mostly, unless there are other unreported things or teams got a bad feeling in interviews or that sort of thing. Kinda surprising he fell that far, but I can only guess teams felt he was the kind of athlete who could be a college standout but could not compete in the pros. Hopefully they are all wrong.

The UDFA Wing has major red flags to be sure, although he was not exactly drafted

Comment

I think Poyer is an immense talent who made a youthful mistake and Chip knows the kid. This is a steal of a pickup and I applaud it. Wing I know little about but it sounds like he can pound the ball. Overall, I see athletes with + potential and I don't see anyone labeled tweener or project. I wanna see how camp pans out,but I like what I see so far.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

If Joe Kruger is 80-90% as good as his older brother Paul, the Eagles have a solid football player. I've long thought Paul Kruger was a highly underrated player for the Ravens in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
              I think Poyer is an immense talent who made a youthful mistake and Chip knows the kid.
              I simply cannot understand how these kids so often get in trouble in trouble while attending college. They are there to study and prepare for adulthood...and that's it, damn it!

I, for one, never misbehaved during my teens and twenties. NEVER!!

I never consumed alcohol before I was 21, and after attaining legal drinking age, I always imbibed in moderation and unfailingly conducted myself in a manner that would have made my parents and neighbors proud to know me.

I flatly deny any and all rumors even hinting at several alcohol related arrests for underage drinking, disorderly conduct, and disturbing the peace. Yes it is true that a young man living in Merchantville NJ, with the same name and birth date as me, was arrested several times while attending Temple University...which by coincidence is my Alma Mater. And it's also true that he lived at the same address as I did and drove the same model car as did I...at times rather irresponsibly, I might add.

But beyond these easily explained random similarities, I have nothing in common with this bad actor. Well, other than the fact that we both married the same woman and have the same Soc Sec number.

Kids!!!

Comment

If anyone watch Chip's draft wrap-up conference, he repeatedly claimed that no recruiting Poyer when he was at Oregon was a big mistake that he had made. And now he has had a chance to rectify that mistake. He obviously thinks highly of the kid and made NO mention of any concerns about his character, etc.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                X