No announcement yet.

Maybe we see a new Vick this season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JMO.but here is another nail in Vick's coffin.I don't see Vick as a spot passer.

Option Routes and Other Stuff

Posted: May 15th, 2013 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 4 Comments and 0 Reactions

Sheil Kapadia wrote a very good piece yesterday about something new that is coming to the Eagles offense – option routes. .yns4{position:absolute;clip:rect(472px,auto,auto, 407px);}
    our site

The first time I remember reading about option routes was with the Run ‘n Shoot offense. That offense featured 4 WRs that were spread out, which led to defenses having to play some creative coverages. Rather than having the WRs run static routes, the coaches had options built into plays so that receivers could adjust based on what the defense was doing. In theory, this should lead to a receiver always being open or having a favorable situation.
    From a logic standpoint, this is a no-brainer. Coaches should always do something that gives the offense an advantage.
    From an execution standpoint, this is very, very tricky. The QB and the WR have to read the same thing on every play. Eagles fans love to pick on Eli Manning for some of his bizarre INTs. Some of those are due to option routes, plays where the WR read one thing and Eli saw another. At that point, the QB is throwing to a spot, not a player.
    The QB must have the confidence to throw to a spot. Too often QBs want to throw to a player. It takes discipline, trust, and confidence to throw the ball in anticipation of a receiver being in a certain place. Young QBs struggle with this more than veterans.
    How will the Eagles QBs do? I have no idea if Michael Vick will be good at this. We have seen him anticipate some pass plays over the years, but it isn’t something he’s done on a regular basis. Vick certainly has the most experience and should be the most advanced at reading defenses and knowing what’s going on. We’ll find out if that’s the case. From what I’ve read, option routes were a part of Nick Foles offense at Arizona. He and WR Juron Criner were very good with them. Matt Barkley and USC used some option routes, but I don’t think they were a major part of the offense.
    How about the Eagles WRs? Option routes will probably be new to DeSean Jackson and Jason Avant, maybe Riley Cooper. Jeremy Maclin may have used them at Missouri. Damaris Johnson should know them from Tulsa. I have no idea if Arrelious Benn has run them. I doubt Ifeanyi Momah did much with them at BC. Basically, this group has a lot of learning to do.
    You must understand there will be mistakes. Option routes are a calculated risk. You know sometimes they will lead to incompletions or even INTs. You accept that since the expectation is that they’ll benefit you much more than they’ll hurt you.
    What we’re talking about is adjusting to what the DB does. If the DB plays 10 yards off, the WR should run a short route. If the DB presses, the WR should try to get by him deep. If the DB has inside leverage, the WR should break outside. And so on. You are essentially taking what the defense gives you.
    I am curious to see how the QBs and WRs execute this.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Why are you just concerned about Vick with this? I can see any of them having difficulty with it. Our receivers have to be intelligent enough to run it as well. Bunch of braniacs there, right?

I also wonder about how difficult it may be for a QB to see if a corner has inside leverage on a WR who is spread out wide....stuff like that concerns me. But as I said above, it's going to be fascinating to watch how this all develops.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
        Why are you just concerned about Vick with this? I can see any of them having difficulty with it. Our receivers have to be intelligent enough to run it as well. Bunch of braniacs there, right?

I also wonder about how difficult it may be for a QB to see if a corner has inside leverage on a WR who is spread out wide....stuff like that concerns me. But as I said above, it's going to be fascinating to watch how this all develops.

Fascinating might be an overstatement Fresh, more like interesting I think. Outside of the SEC, college teams don't even attempt to play defense. In that PAC 10, teams just sit back in zones and Chip picked them apart. But what the hell, I'm as excited about it as anyone else.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

start with Vick's extremely happy feet and a lack of ability to focus downfield as he's running and add in the fact that I don't think Vick can read 1 WR much less know what 4 will do in up to 4 combinations. Don't forget that Chipper is expecting all this stuff to happen presnap and the ball to be heading downfield in 1.5 seconds.IMO none of this is part of Vick's game and all the coaching in the world will not help.He has his moments,but is basicly a schoolyard baller who will not conform to a strict program,IMO. Basicly (once again IMO) he's not smart enough to do all that . If he proves me wrong and beats out the other 2, I'll eat crow and cut him some slack,but I doubt it will happen.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

From what you describe, NONE of our QB's will be sucessful this season. Do you think the relatively inexperiences Foles, or the ROOK can handle doing that come September?

Barkley might have the best shot at being the guy to handle things down the road, but that is going to take a god while. As for Vick, he's either going to follow the program, or he'll be gone.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
              From what you describe, NONE of our QB's will be sucessful this season. Do you think the relatively inexperiences Foles, or the ROOK can handle doing that come September?

Barkley might have the best shot at being the guy to handle things down the road, but that is going to take a god while. As for Vick, he's either going to follow the program, or he'll be gone.
              I wouldn't be shocked if Barkley won the job.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised either to see Barkley be the most successful of the lot. but I do NOT want to throw him to the wolves on opening day.

Comment

If Vick is bypassed during the QB competition IMO Foles gets the nod before throwing Barkley to the wolves, unless Barkley's performance is far superior to that of Foles. Should this play out, Vick may be dealt. Jets perhaps, in light of Garrard's surprise retirement. There he'd start while Smith is groomed for the future. Mere speculation.

Comment

Working...
                  X