Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so glad there is no Geno in Philly

Geno Smith hires Jay-Z's Roc Nation as agency

After weeks of presentations and meetings the Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith has settled on Jay-Z's Roc Nation sports, Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger reports. The agency has certified contract adviser Kimberly Miale on board to handle the football arm of their operations.

The tipping point for Smith, who let go of his previous agents following a Draft day slide, shaking loose a series of unflattering anecdotes about the QB, was the agencies connections around the area. Having the business headlined by a star rapper and business mogul was simply an added perk.

"When you talk about being in New York, from the standpoint of what they can do in the city, I think it's a good move," Smith said.

Smith downplayed the perception surrounding the agency.

"It's not that important to be, honestly," Smith said. Adding later: "That's perception, I don;'t worry about the outside world's perception when it comes to that kind of stuff. I'm strong in my faith, I know this isn't because of an image thing or marketing myself. It's more about being comfortable with the people representing me."
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Jay Z starting an agency is brilliant. All these athletes love him and he gives them the star treatment and they get to meet one of their musical idols.

But, that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

When Geno sucks in NY, will he fire Jay-Z too?

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
      Jay Z starting an agency is brilliant. All these athletes love him and he gives them the star treatment and they get to meet one of their musical idols.

But, that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

When Geno sucks in NY, will he fire Jay-Z too?
      Then why doesn't he make him his doctor too? Stupid move if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        Then why doesn't he make him his doctor too? Stupid move if you ask me.
        I'm all for beating down the idiot but Jay-Z has hired people with experience in the representation business, correct? He's just the name brand that draws the clients in, he presses some flesh everyonce in a while and moves on. I highly doubt that Jay-z does any negotiating on behalf of his clients and IIRC he is prohibited from doing so unless he is a registered agent.

It was a smart business savvy move to start his own agency and if he can build a good block of talent and get a big contract or two it will probably succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
          I'm all for beating down the idiot but Jay-Z has hired people with experience in the representation business, correct? He's just the name brand that draws the clients in, he presses some flesh everyonce in a while and moves on. I highly doubt that Jay-z does any negotiating on behalf of his clients and IIRC he is prohibited from doing so unless he is a registered agent.

It was a smart business savvy move to start his own agency and if he can build a good block of talent and get a big contract or two it will probably succeed.
          I'm sure not going to argue the fact that Z can make money (or pick wives!), but maybe ol Gino should have laid low for awhile. I mean, does Geno really think Z would have made him the #1 pick this draft?

Comment

I have been glad Geno isn't in Philly from day two of the draft.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post

Smith downplayed the perception surrounding the agency.

"It's not that important to be, honestly," Smith said. Adding later: "That's perception, I don't worry about the outside world's perception when it comes to that kind of stuff. I'm strong in my faith, I know this isn't because of an image thing or marketing myself. It's more about being comfortable with the people representing me."
              I don't have any strong opinions about Smith's hiring JZ's outfit to represent him. (To be honest, I pay so little attention to the world of rap/hip hop, that I couldn't pick JZ out of a 4 person line up.)

The problem I have with Smith is...he's just so full of shit. Whenever I hear him talk or read a quote of his, it feels like I'm hearing from some smug politician or televangelist who's been caught doing something he shouldn't. He thinks he's too cool for school and so fucking smooth he can get by on good looks and bull shit...like he's always done before.

Smith may turn out to be a decent QB, that's still to be decided. But I think it's already fairly clear that the guy is an asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                I don't have any strong opinions about Smith's hiring JZ's outfit to represent him. (To be honest, I pay so little attention to the world of rap/hip hop, that I couldn't pick JZ out of a 4 person line up.)

The problem I have with Smith is...he's just so full of shit. Whenever I hear him talk or read a quote of his, it feels like I'm hearing from some smug politician or televangelist who's been caught doing something he shouldn't. He thinks he's too cool for school and so fucking smooth he can get by on good looks and bull shit...like he's always done before.

Smith may turn out to be a decent QB, that's still to be decided. But I think it's already fairly clear that the guy is an asshole.

Which is why I'll be rooting against him. Call me a hater.

Comment

Who said that there is no Geno in Philly!

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Working...
                  X