Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This will piss you off and may send 60 over the edge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This will piss you off and may send 60 over the edge!

Apparently the Eagles had a deal in place to get Kaepernick from the Niners and someone (Howie? Andy? Banner?) nixed the deal at the last minute. What would it have cost us to get one of the top young QBs in the league you ask? Just a 2nd round pick.

Here's the story from CBS Sports....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ore-2012-draft
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Yea I saw that yesterday
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

A little bit of hindsight since Kaepernick certainly was not a sure thing at the time, but the bigger mistake IMV was not being more aggressive to move up and grab Wilson if that was the guy they wanted badly....

Also realize that Kendricks was taken with that 2nd rd pick
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        Yea I saw that yesterday
        I read it last night while both the QBs that had under consideration by the Birds in 2012 (Kaepernick and Wilson) were playing in Seattle. I thought about posting it but decided there had already been enough pain for one day.

Brief Summary:

- Before the 2012 draft, Birds came close to trading a 2nd for Kaep
        - Birds backed off because they planned to draft Wilson, whom they liked better.
        - Before the Birds could use their #3(88th pick) on Wilson, Hawks took him at #77.
        - Birds then settled for Foles
        - Fuck me!

What is left unexplained in the piece is, that if Birds liked Wilson more than Kaep, for whom they were ready to trade a '2', why didn't they use their 2nd '2' in the draft (#59) to get Wilson. (They took Curry with that pick)

We all may speculate that we know the answer...Because they're just so much smarter than everyone else, they figured on stealing Wilson with a '3'.

One thing of which we may be certain...Boy Genius Howie had no part in this fuck up!

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
          A little bit of hindsight since Kaepernick certainly was not a sure thing at the time, but the bigger mistake IMV was not being more aggressive to move up and grab Wilson if that was the guy they wanted badly....

They could have still taken Kendricks at #46 and used their 2nd '2' (#59 from the Pack) to take Wilson. But the brain trust was too cagey for that move. They planned to 'steal' Wilson at #88 and use #59 on Curry.

And so Carroll, who was roundly ridiculed as a fool but who has built the Hawks from shit to one of the best teams in the NFL in 3 years, took Wilson at #77.

Comment

I plan on drinking very heavily in about 5 fucking minutes..........
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Why procrastinate?
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                Don't you understand by now that it's always about the fucking value!!!!

Comment

That's what pissed me off too 60. How do you go t through the whole damned process of working out a trade for Kaepernick -- only to second guess themselves with Wilson and assume that they could get him in the 3rd round -- and have NO FALLBACK POSITION incase things don't work out the way you think they will? That's the killer - they were so damned sure they would get him when they wanted him that they had no backup plan!!

If they had ANY common sense the logical thing to do would be to look at the player and NOT the position for the round. It really sounds like they decided that their 3rd round pick would go for a QB regardless of who that QB was.... Kaepernick/Wilson/Foles whoever.

If they liked Wilson they should have said we're taking him in the second round and if he goes before we can get him then we trade the pick to SF for Kaepernick. Instead they rolled the dice and came away with neither of the two players they wanted and settled for the best guy that was available for the pick they earmarked for that specific position. Even my fantasy football leagues knows that you can't draft a team like that! Someone should tell Howie, Andy and the rest of the idiots running this team.

Great job identifying the talent and a piss-poor job of executing the moves to get that talent!!
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

The thread title says it all. This pisses me off. Absolutely stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                      They could have still taken Kendricks at #46 and used their 2nd '2' (#59 from the Pack) to take Wilson. But the brain trust was too cagey for that move. They planned to 'steal' Wilson at #88 and use #59 on Curry.

And so Carroll, who was roundly ridiculed as a fool but who has built the Hawks from shit to one of the best teams in the NFL in 3 years, took Wilson at #77.
                      They had two 2nd rd picks? I did not remember that which makes it certainly harder to understand why they did not give up one for Kaepernick...they knew they had to go heavy D since that was their weak spot, but QB is the primo position regardless and they knew Vick's time was at least winding down....that would have been an amazing draft if they had gotten Kendricks, Curry and Wilson + Cox, Boykin and Brown...wow

I think you're right they thought Wilson would slip further, but still if you are sitting at #88 and he is still there at #74-5-6 you've got to go get him if you believe he is a stud...
                      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I'm not sure if I prefer this type of news after a tough and sloppy loss or after a win. One makes the week worse and the other ruins a good week.

Oh well, getting to Thursday is all more important...unless that idiot who made that decision beats us.
                        Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                          I'm not sure if I prefer this type of news after a tough and sloppy loss or after a win. One makes the week worse and the other ruins a good week.

Oh well, getting to Thursday is all more important...unless that idiot who made that decision beats us.
                          It's going to be a total kick in the teeth when Nate Allen spins around and falls down on the game winning TD.

Comment

Gotta say... I'm not sure I buy that SF was willing to trade Kaepernick for a second round pick. They had just used #36 overall on him the year before; he was Harbaugh's pick, and they would have been willing to let him go for just #46 (or was it #59) a year later? Obviously if anyone realized he'd be the player he looks like he's becoming, he would have been a top #10 pick, and a year ago he hadn't really proved it, but Harbaugh must have seen the potential in practice -- I mean, he benched a QB with a 100 rating for him just a few months later. I just don't buy it, unless there was a lot more to the trade than a #2 pick, or there was something off-field which hasn't been reported.

I'm sure Reid liked Wilson, probably even over Foles, but he wouldn't have been starting over Vick either (unless there was injury). And if he was that important to Reid, he would have taken Wilson in the second round. I'd guess Reid was willing to trade up in the third, which may not have happened, but didn't like Wilson enough to spend a second rounder (not that recent second round history has been all that great). And in the end I'm not convinced yet that Wilson is better than Foles. When your other option is Matt Flynn, that's an easier battle to win.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                              Gotta say... I'm not sure I buy that SF was willing to trade Kaepernick for a second round pick. They had just used #36 overall on him the year before; he was Harbaugh's pick, and they would have been willing to let him go for just #46 (or was it #59) a year later? Obviously if anyone realized he'd be the player he looks like he's becoming, he would have been a top #10 pick, and a year ago he hadn't really proved it, but Harbaugh must have seen the potential in practice -- I mean, he benched a QB with a 100 rating for him just a few months later. I just don't buy it, unless there was a lot more to the trade than a #2 pick, or there was something off-field which hasn't been reported.

I'm sure Reid liked Wilson, probably even over Foles, but he wouldn't have been starting over Vick either (unless there was injury). And if he was that important to Reid, he would have taken Wilson in the second round. I'd guess Reid was willing to trade up in the third, which may not have happened, but didn't like Wilson enough to spend a second rounder (not that recent second round history has been all that great). And in the end I'm not convinced yet that Wilson is better than Foles. When your other option is Matt Flynn, that's an easier battle to win.
                              Maybe SF realized that Smith was ready to breakout and they were ready to commit to him. He was having a terrific 2012 until he was injured.

Comment

Working...
                              X