WTF, How Did This Happen ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF, How Did This Happen ?

This has been a trying ,up and down and up season, but how do you explain the season Riley Cooper is putting together after so many screamed for his removal from the roster. He could be headed towards a spot in Eagles record books.

From Rueben Franks...
    9. What Riley Cooper has been doing the last month or so is truly remarkable. He ranks fourth in the NFL in receiving yards over the last five weeks, and with three more touchdowns he’ll join a select group of Eagles wide receivers to record 10 touchdowns catches in a season. Since 1970, only Harold Carmichael, Mike Quick (three times), Hall of Famer Cris Carter, Calvin Williams, Irving Fryar, Terrell Owens and Jeremy Maclin have hit double digits in TD catches for the Eagles. Seven guys in 44 years, and some of the top receivers in Eagles history. Elite company. And Riley Cooper is close to joining them. He’s second in the NFL in yards per catch. And if he can average 74 yards per game the rest of the year, he’ll hit 1,000 yards for the season. Riley Cooper. Who woulda thunk it.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I will say that i have expected Riley to produce, and I mean produce TOUCHDOWNS, since the day we drafted him. I thought he would be a great red zone target, and that he would be a good possession type receiver as well.

At long last he is producing touchdowns.

But I did NOT expect him to be a downfield target putting up huge yards. I have to believe it's a fluke, an aberration, a small sample size, whatever you want to call it. It won't last. Right? A lot of what we have seen is Foles just trusting Riley to get to the ball, and throwing the ball up. It has worked out so far, but some of these could have easily been picks as well.

Regardless, I will just pull for Riley and hope that this good fortune continues. Heck, I'd like to see teams start worrying about him to the point to where they lose focus on DJax. Now THAT would be something.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

If he can really be a legit threat it has to help open things for Desean and Lesean. As with Foles I am waiting to see if they are flash in the pan or legit players. I have always thought Foles was; I'm not so sure on Cooper. I think he is about like Maclin--pretty good but not great. Hopefully he develops to great
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
        If he can really be a legit threat it has to help open things for Desean and Lesean. As with Foles I am waiting to see if they are flash in the pan or legit players. I have always thought Foles was; I'm not so sure on Cooper. I think he is about like Maclin--pretty good but not great. Hopefully he develops to great
        the key is Foles vision IMO. Vick was never able to see the entire picture cuz he scrambled left or right and took away options. Foles standing in the pocket, eyes downfield is seeing everyone ,thus making everyone someone for the defense to be concerned about. When everyone is in play, you start seeing single coverage and a good QB will find someone open or as Foles has been doing,he throws Cooper open. Foles said of the TD to Cooper when he was near the goal line and rolled in , that with Riley's outfield background that he just threw it to a spot that only Cooper could make the play. When the hell has Vick ever thrown to a spot ? Or allowed a WR to make a play? Seriously, every throw he ever made was with velocity so that if the receiver didn't catch it no one would. Foles is playing the position more like a PG and he's leading the fastbreak. It's fun to watch for sure.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
          the key is Foles vision IMO. Vick was never able to see the entire picture cuz he scrambled left or right and took away options. Foles standing in the pocket, eyes downfield is seeing everyone ,thus making everyone someone for the defense to be concerned about. When everyone is in play, you start seeing single coverage and a good QB will find someone open or as Foles has been doing,he throws Cooper open. Foles said of the TD to Cooper when he was near the goal line and rolled in , that with Riley's outfield background that he just threw it to a spot that only Cooper could make the play. When the hell has Vick ever thrown to a spot ? Or allowed a WR to make a play? Seriously, every throw he ever made was with velocity so that if the receiver didn't catch it no one would. Foles is playing the position more like a PG and he's leading the fastbreak. It's fun to watch for sure.
          Well said, MM! Foles has been able to translate his basketball skills onto the football field. Like a PG, he distributes the ball to the open man. And, it is fun to watch. Hope it continues!
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I really think the rise of Riley is mostly due to great coaching (and probably a lot of hard work on Riley's and Foles' part). Let's face it, we haven't had a lot of good coaching around here for awhile. Riley gets open, and is a huge benefactor of option routes. For whatever reason it has finally happened for him, and my guess the answer is Chip Kelly and/or our receivers coach. He absolutely sucked the first 4 games of the season, and now he's a star. I sure hope he keeps it up!
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Talent on offense is noticeable as well. Good lord, when was the last time we had two very athletic TEs and they both thought blocking was a necessary part of their game,Avant and his sweet hands,Cooper and Jackson both pushing a hundred yard pg and Shady breaking ankles to go with a line that is allowing Foles 5-8 seconds in the pocket regularly. And the maestro of the whole thing comes up to the line,takes a snapshot and developes and processes the image without wasting timeouts,without total confusion .

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                Talent on offense is noticeable as well. Good lord, when was the last time we had two very athletic TEs and they both thought blocking was a necessary part of their game,Avant and his sweet hands,Cooper and Jackson both pushing a hundred yard pg and Shady breaking ankles to go with a line that is allowing Foles 5-8 seconds in the pocket regularly. And the maestro of the whole thing comes up to the line,takes a snapshot and developes and processes the image without wasting timeouts,without total confusion .
                It's kind of amazing that we have about 1000 plays with all kinds of options, yet we can get a play off in 20 seconds. We couldn't get out of the huddle in 20 seconds for the last 10 years. As for timeouts, thank goodness that BS is gone!!!
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                X