Who Put Shrooms in the Koolaid ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Put Shrooms in the Koolaid ?

Did anyone see anything in Brandon Graham this season to pull this out of their ass ? The guy had 2 or 3 moments in a 17 game season, hardly anything to get excited about.

Graham on the Rise?

Posted: February 15th, 2014 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 29 Comments

Peter King’s new site, The MMQB, has been a good source of information since it began last fall. He hired smart, talented writers. They do their research and write informed pieces.
    That said, I’ve been scratching my head since reading this piece from Andy Benoit…his list of breakout defensive players for 2014. Benoit lists Cedric Thornton and Brandon Boykin, who I think both emerged in 2013. I realize that me being an Eagles fan makes me know the team better than the average fan, but both guys made big plays in nationally televised games. Okay, maybe I’m being picky here. It is nice to see Ced and the Boyking get some national publicity.
    Benoit also put Brandon Graham on his list.
    It wasn’t supposed to take this long for Graham to emerge; the Eagles drafted him 13th overall in 2010. But his development was halted by a late-2010 knee injury, and he never quite found a niche in the 4-3 schemes that Andy Reid’s defensive coordinators ran. In Billy Davis’s hybrid 3-4, Graham operates primarily as an outside linebacker (though he’s also been effective lining up with his hand in the dirt). He should see more playing time with Trent Cole coming off a somewhat inconsistent 2013 campaign. And if he can’t take snaps from Cole, he’ll take them from someone else. Simply put, Graham will be the Eagles’ most dynamic pass-rusher in 2014.
    I don’t get this at all.
    Benoit watches the All-22 tape on a regular basis. He knows his stuff. But sometimes he and I see things very differently. This apparently is one of them.
    Brandon Graham never showed me anything this season that would make me think “I can’t wait to see him in 2014.” Graham had his moments, but there is a reason I think OLB is the number one need for the Eagles this offseason. Graham didn’t show me enough to think that he can be the primary rush LB in a 3-4 defense.
    I hope I’m the wrongest wrong in the history of wrongs. I’d love Graham to be the answer at OLB. That would allow the Eagles to use their resources on other positions and overall upgrades. I just don’t think that’s going to be the case. If Graham had really caught the coaches eyes, he’d have gotten more playing time as the season went along. I don’t think his snaps went up in any significant way during the season.
    In terms of production, Graham didn’t show much. He had 3 sacks and 5 hurries, per the Eagles official stats. Vinny Curry had 4 sacks and 11 hurries.
    Graham did most of his rushing from ROLB or RDE. In the past, he was more productive when rushing from the left side. I don’t know that Graham, post-microfracture surgery, has the athleticism to consistently beat LTs. Going up against RTs can be far different.
    If the Eagles asked my advice, I’d tell them to trade Graham to a 4-3 team. The guy can play. No one disputes that. But he just doesn’t seem like a good fit for the Eagles anymore. Graham lacks the size that Chip Kelly prefers. Graham is awkward when he’s got to drop back, which is part of playing OLB in the 3-4. And he’s going to be a free agent at the end of 2014. Does it seem likely that the Eagles would re-sign him?
    Maybe Jerry Azzinaro and Bill McGovern think Graham will take a major step forward. If so, then hold on to Graham. He’s only going to net a 5th round pick or so. I just think you only keep him if you feel it is likely that he’s a better player this year. If not, move on and go find a young LB you want to develop or a veteran LB that is a better fit for the scheme.
    As much as I want Graham to pan out and become a key player for the Eagles, we have to be realistic. Just doesn’t feel like it will happen in this scheme.
    I will talk a lot about fit this offseason. To me, that is one overlooked part of player success. Guys must be in the right system. Mike Vrabel began his career as a Steeler. He played there for 4 years and never started a game. The Steelers know a thing or two about OLBs, but Vrabel just didn’t fit their version of the 3-4. Vrabel then went to the Patriots and had an amazing career.
    Carlos Emmons began his career with the Steelers. He started his final 2 years there, but failed to stand out. The Eagles signed him to be the SAM in a 4-3 and Emmons flourished.
    There are just going to be times when players don’t fit. That doesn’t mean your scouts did a bad job. That doesn’t mean your coaches did a bad job. Player evaluation involves a lot of projection. You’re going to miss. That’s true for all teams.
    If a lot of players that leave your team find success elsewhere, then you do have problems with scouting and/or coaching.
    The one X-factor is character. Look at the difference in Aqib Talib as a Buc and a Patriot. Everyone knew he could play. He needed to be in the right environment to pan out. Think about DRC. He started off pretty well in 2012, but fell apart when Juan Castillo was fired. By the end of the year, he was as useless as playing me at corner (hard to jam receivers while holding a PBR and bag of Funyuns). Then DRC goes to the Broncos, a stable, winning team and has a good season. He just doesn’t handle adversity well.
    Hopefully the Eagles will get back to being a team that has the environment that brings out the best in players.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I guess it was a breakout from the bench. The guy proved that he can play in this league, but I'd say that was it. He's not junk, that's for sure. But he's really not a great LB either. I think you're right about the DE thing in a 4-3.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Agree, he has been the guy who "should' be great but hasn't. Is he going to break out this year??? If he doesn't he will be a journeyman for his career.
      I have to agree about players fitting into the system. Another you can look at is Clemons for Sea. I saw or read somewhere from him where he said he just wasn't be used right in Philly. I think the loss of Johnson, the transition to McD, and others just kept him from being able to play his game.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Graham can play & seems to be a good locker room guy but just doesn't fit in the 3-4. He's strictly a 4-3 DE and a Team that'e looking at help in that position are the Atlanta Falcons. I see Graham being traded there for a 4th or 5th rd pick.
        Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
          Agree, he has been the guy who "should' be great but hasn't. Is he going to break out this year??? If he doesn't he will be a journeyman for his career.
          I have to agree about players fitting into the system. Another you can look at is Clemons for Sea. I saw or read somewhere from him where he said he just wasn't be used right in Philly. I think the loss of Johnson, the transition to McD, and others just kept him from being able to play his game.
          Clemons hurt his calf in TC with the Birds and never really recovered. Tough to shine from the bench. He was never in the hunt his year in Philly.

Comment

I still say Graham is going to be a great player in this league IF the Eagles ever let him go to a team that plays more of a 4-3 defense. I really wouldn't be surprised if they trade him before the draft, but they'll be giving him away for pennies on a dollar most likely because every team knows he's not a starter here and doesn't fit the scheme very well. But he is useful coming off the bench, so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
              I still say Graham is going to be a great player in this league IF the Eagles ever let him go to a team that plays more of a 4-3 defense. I really wouldn't be surprised if they trade him before the draft, but they'll be giving him away for pennies on a dollar most likely because every team knows he's not a starter here and doesn't fit the scheme very well. But he is useful coming off the bench, so who knows.
              He could be moved on draft day. I really don't know how I feel about that.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                the old regime botched this up and wasted draft picks, Kelly shouldn't worry about return of investment , he doesn't fit the 3/4 and the picks are gone. Don't waste the roster space. If you can get a 5th for him, make the trade and use it for someone like Colvin.
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  Clemons hurt his calf in TC with the Birds and never really recovered. Tough to shine from the bench. He was never in the hunt his year in Philly.
                  I don't know about that 60. He was there two years and played 16 games both years. He also had his lowest sack total in each of those years of any years he played. I read an interview on philly com around SB time where he said he was never used right in Philly.
                  Either way I agree with the point of the post that players are not 100% interchangeable. They have to fit the system/coach if they are to flourish
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                    the old regime botched this up and wasted draft picks, Kelly shouldn't worry about return of investment , he doesn't fit the 3/4 and the picks are gone. Don't waste the roster space. If you can get a 5th for him, make the trade and use it for someone like Colvin.
                    The thing is, I'd probably rather keep him around as a situational role player than give him away for a 5th round pick. I think he adds more value that what a 5th round pick is historically going to give you, even if he doesn't fit the scheme as a full time player.

Comment

Working...
                    X