Is Chemistry More Important ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Chemistry More Important ?

An interesting read from Mark Saltveit. What do you think ?

The Importance of Keeping Riley Cooper

By Mark Saltveit@taoish on Feb 26 2014, 8:00a 2
    Ed Szczepanski-USA TODAY Sports

Statistics and combine times don't win Super Bowls. Team chemistry does.
    Tweet Share on Twitter (2) Share Share on Facebook  Share Share with Eagles friends 2 Comments

Now that the NFL Combine's statistical orgy is over, let's remember what wins Super Bowls. It's not your 40 speed or vertical jump, or even the 3 cone.
    Teams put together players to fit the various needs on a roster, and the Eagles are clearly in the gap-filling stage. But they're already a playoff team, and you don't win the Lombardi Trophy by spackling. A different kicker or a dominating nose tackle may have defeated New Orleans, but it wouldn't have gotten the Birds past San Francisco or Seattle.
    The final competition is between teams without major gaps. The one that wins is the one with that X-factor, the whole that's greater than the sum of its parts. Specifically, team chemistry.
    You can't build this by spending money, as the Eagles found out in 2011. The high-priced free agents often hurt as much as they help, because of their attitude. Players who find their talent and their niche on your team are the best bet for building a superior franchise.

Must Reads

Report: Riley Cooper Will Be in Significant Demand

Brandon Lee Gowton

Eagles pending free agent wide receiver Riley Cooper is expected to draw an active market.

Report: Eagles Favor Maclin Over Cooper

Brandon Lee Gowton

According to a report from Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Philadelphia Eagles have prioritized their in-house options at wide receiver this offseason.

Must Reads

Report: Riley Cooper Will Be in Significant DemandReport: Eagles Favor Maclin Over Cooper

That's how Seattle won a ring with so many UDFAs and low draft picks. They're like a girlfriend who doesn't realize how pretty she is, except that they make themselves pretty through hard work and emotional growth.
    The Eagles are probably a couple of years away from scaring Pete Carroll, but they're on the right track. And that's why it's so important that they keep free agent wide receiver Riley Cooper.
    Nick Foles and Riley Cooper are two unheralded players who just came into their own under the new coach, Chip Kelly. As many have noted, they have that chemistry between them. And who would have predicted it?
    Foles was a third round pick who had, let's face it, a very rough rookie year filling in for the injured Michael Vick. Cooper was considered a third-rate talent even before his disastrous racial incident. He was very lucky to even stay in the league. Chip Kelly saw something there and did what was needed to keep Riley on the team. That effort turned out to be, in many ways, the key to this year's success.
    A lot of people are skeptical about this much-discussed chemistry between Foles and Cooper. You can be analytical and say that Foles knows how to throw Cooper open, or that Riley anticipates Nick's progressions. Hell, maybe they meet before games and plan it all out with diagrams and memorized moves. As long as they connect on passes that DBs can't predict, I'll take it.
    I think it's a true intuitive connection though, like that between Clyde Drexler, Jerome Kersey and Terry Porter -- three unheralded NBA players who found their talents together on the Portland Trailblazers team that beat Michael Jordan's Bulls in Chicago in the 1992 NBA finals. In game two, anyway. OK, it went bad after that, but still.
    Think back to the Snow Bowl last year against the Detroit. Philadelphia was down 14-0 deep into the third, and nothing was working. All plans were out the window. If there was ever a game where you needed intuition and chemistry, this was it.
    Coach Kelly decided to take Cary Williams' advice on the difficulty of defending deep passes. With five minutes left in the third period, Foles basically hucked the ball up 44 yards into the raging blizzard, and Riley Cooper pulled it in out of the void. That wasn't luck -- it was the connection that they showed all year.
    Cooper didn't even score a touchdown in the game, though he did catch a 2-point conversion, and the Birds' first TD was aimed at him -- but went over his head, right into DeSean Jackson's hands.
    But that first reception swung the whole momentum of the game, and Philadelphia ended up scoring 34 points in the game's final 20 minutes.
    Now maybe Jeremy Maclin, or Mike Evans or Brandin Cooks will connect with Foles the same way. But we have no way of knowing that without spending a draft pick or a lot of money for those players, and there are no refunds if it doesn't work. That's why the Eagles need to make sure Cooper stays on the team. And at 6'3", Riley is only an inch shorter than Oregon's self-declared free agent Colt Lyerla, who would bring a different kind of chemistry to the team.
    That early 90s Blazer team went to the Finals twice, but never got a ring. They had the team chemistry among their big three, but never quite filled the gap at center, and lost to two great teams -- Isaiah Thomas' Pistons and Michael Jordan's Bulls.
    The Eagles have a great start on filling their gaps, and also have a solid core of chemistry with Foles, Cooper, DeSean and Shady on offense, and the front line, Barwin and Boykin on D. Obviously they need to add a couple more pieces.
    But it's just as important that they don't throw away the extra spark that brings it all home. With Cooper and Foles, it fell into their lap in a way no one could have predicted -- and that makes it all the more important to hang onto it.

Last edited by musicman; 02-26-2014, 10:04 AM.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I'm fully in agreement with that article. I think Cooper has more value to us, and to Foles, than he should to anyone else. I EXPECT us to try to keep him around. I lack confidence in Maclin's return, but would like to see him back as well, and stepping up HIS game. Bt to me, Cooper is a known. he works well with Foles. Foles has confidence in him and he is a security blanket for our young QB. He also blocks his ass off.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Cooper is still a mystery to me. I could buy that article until he gagged bigtime in the NO game. 2 things we really don't know are how much the Eagles "forgave" him for being an asshole. And the other is just how big any asshole he really is. It's offseason now and what is he doing? Did he come to grips with the fact that HE OBVIOUSLY CAN'T DRINK? If he hasn't, there is no way that the Birds will commit to him.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I agree totally with Fresh's comments. Cooper stepped up big time for us last year - to the point where we really didn't miss Maclin. He apparently does have a good connection with Foles.

Cooper just needs to stay away from country music (a prescription I hand out to everyone! jk)!
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          Did he come to grips with the fact that HE OBVIOUSLY CAN'T DRINK?

I disagree...I think he drinks real good!

But seriously, I want Cooper to stay. He's tough (unlike Maclin), blocks well and and Foles trusts him to go up and fight for the ball (unlike Jackson).

Unless he wants really big money, I really hope he stays.

Comment

IMO Team Chemistry is important in all Pro Sports. We tried bringing in high paid "Studs" back in 2011 & it was a goatfuck. Obviously Foles & Cooper do have good chemistry & only want to get better at their craft. Keep Coop & Maclin (Avant is out clearing $4mil in cap space). Don't rock the boat on O & go heavy on D in FA & the draft.
            Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post

I disagree...I think he drinks real good!

But seriously, I want Cooper to stay. He's tough (unlike Maclin), blocks well and and Foles trusts him to go up and fight for the ball (unlike Jackson).

Unless he wants really big money, I really hope he stays.
              The guy has been trouble since he's been in high school. And with this language crap coming down from the fake commits don't be surprised if Lori wants to wash his hands of him. Nobody is going to give Cooper big money. Especially with all the young talent in the draft.

Comment

I'm on board that chemistry is important and they showed last year that they click together. That doesn't mean it wouldn't happen with Maclin but it makes you a little nervous. Chip & Co have a decision that can be tracked. We'll see how it works out
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Howie JUST said in an interview that they will try to keep players that fit into our team chemistry. Funny to hear that just now.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                    Howie JUST said in an interview that they will try to keep players that fit into our team chemistry. Funny to hear that just now.
                    Yup. All this stuff makes me think Cooper is out of the picture. And it's not like Foles has any clout yet if he wanted to keep him around.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      Yup. All this stuff makes me think Cooper is out of the picture. And it's not like Foles has any clout yet if he wanted to keep him around.
                      I don't really agree there Popper. I think Cooper has a lot to do with the chemistry of the team. It was a bump in the road that they all went over together and Chip was big on wanting Cooper around by all accounts. This had the potential to be a big problem ,yet they came together and dramaticly improved upon last year in every way, shape and form without hearing anything about it after the fact. (accept from the media not wishing to let it go)
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                        I don't really agree there Popper. I think Cooper has a lot to do with the chemistry of the team. It was a bump in the road that they all went over together and Chip was big on wanting Cooper around by all accounts. This had the potential to be a big problem ,yet they came together and dramaticly improved upon last year in every way, shape and form without hearing anything about it after the fact. (accept from the media not wishing to let it go)
                        I hope you're right Bud. It's strange that the emphasis seems to be on signing Marlin though.

Comment

seems to me you would want someone to compete with the bigger DBs

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                            seems to me you would want someone to compete with the bigger DBs
                            Those guys are pretty rare. Personally, I hope they both come back. I think that is going to be doable too. Who is going to break the bank on either one of them? Both have issues.

Comment

I don't think it's chemistry with Cooper and Foles. I think it's Nick Foles acting like he thinks he's Tom Brady, where every WR that plays with him suddenly becomes a better player. I think the Eagles feel that Foles can anticipate and throw Maclin open just as well. Or a draft pick if that happens. I'm not bashing Cooper. I don't have a problem with bringing him back. But, I think you can stick Maclin out there, heck, isn't Eric Decker a FA? I don't think it's Cooper, it's Foles.

Comment

Working...
                              X