X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap Casualties Thread

Seahawks release Red Bryant and Sidney Rice

Posted by Josh Alper on February 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
    Getty Images Both moves have been reported for a while now, but the Seahawks went ahead and made the releases of defensive end Red Bryant and wide receiver Sidney Rice official on Friday.
    “We want to thank both Red and Sidney for their effort, commitment and contribution to the Seattle Seahawks over the last few years,” executive vice president/General Manager John Schneider said in a release fromt he team. “These are extremely tough decisions, but we wanted to give them a head start on free agency. We wish them well in the future.”
    Bryant was due a $3 million roster bonus in March and is coming off a year that saw him slide down the defensive line rotation in terms of playing time. Bryant is still an effective player against the run, though, and shouldn’t have much trouble finding suitors for his services. Rice is recovering from a torn ACL, the latest in a series of injuries that marred his time in Seattle.
    The two moves will clear more than $12 million in cap space for the Seahawks to use in the 2014 season. They were able to make several smart free agent pickups last year using not much more money than that. That extra cash this year could be used to re-sign defensive end Michael Bennett, who was one of those reasonably priced pickups that helped the Seahawks win the Super Bowl last season.

6'4 323 lbs, Don't know a lot about him. Could he anchor the DL ?
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

'pukes Released DE Everette Brown, G Ray Dominguez, DT Corvey Irvin and G Jeff Olson.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Browns Released LB D'Qwell Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        Good player, but a 31 year old LB.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          Good player, but a 31 year old LB.
          saw in the Washington Post that the foreskins have interest.

Comment

Pats Released S Steve Gregory. Another 31 year old

Comment

CB Champ Bailey and WR Devon Hester

Comment

Looks like he did OK!

Originally posted by musicman View Post

Colts sign ILB D'Qwell Jackson to $22M deal

The Colts have started reinforcing their defense by agreeing to terms with D'Qwell Jackson, Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star reports.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Jackson's deal is a four-year, $22 million deal with $11 million guaranteed.

Jackson, 30, started 96 games with the Cleveland Browns in eight seasons before having his contract terminated last week. He visited the Colts earlier this week after also meeting with the Tennessee Titans, Denver Broncos and Miami Dolphins.

Jackson projects as an inside starter alongside returnee Jerrell Freeman. He takes the place of veteran Pat Angerer, who will not be re-signed.

The deal reunites Jackson with Rob Chudzinski, who was Cleveland's head coach in 2013 but fired after the season. The Colts hired Chudzinski as a special assistant to coach Chuck Pagano.

Comment

Saints appear to be releasing Lance Moore.

Comment

Saints also release Darren Sproles. That's a guy I would think Howie & Chip would like to talk with. Would be a huge ST's upgrade IMO.
                    Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by j-bird View Post
                      Saints also release Darren Sproles. That's a guy I would think Howie & Chip would like to talk with. Would be a huge ST's upgrade IMO.
                      The Birds won't be the only interested team! I'm really surprised the Saints didn't try harder to keep him.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        The Birds won't be the only interested team! I'm really surprised the Saints didn't try harder to keep him.
                        The Saints need the jingle to take care of Jimmy Graham & releasing Sproles frees up @ $4mil in cap space. I'm hearing that the Saints are trying to trade Sproles but if they get no takers, he will be cut. Pretty good player that got caught up in cap hell.

Comment

The Saints need the jingle to take care of Jimmy Graham & releasing Sproles frees up @ $4mil in cap space. I'm hearing that the Saints are trying to trade Sproles but if they get no takers, he will be cut. Pretty good player that got caught up in cap hell.
                          I just saw $3.5 million. If they are trying to save money they'll most likely want a late round pick rather than a player.

Report: Saints to release Darren Sproles if no trade

Mar
                          3/7/2014 6:37:29 PM

The New Orleans Saints will continue their roster overhaul by releasing running back Darren Sproles if they're unable to trade him, Mike Tripplet of ESPN.com reports. This according to multiple media reports.

Sproles, 30, has been one of the Saints' most dynamic offensive weapons the past three years. His release would come as an even bigger surprise than the recent decisions to part ways with receiver Lance Moore and defensive veterans Will Smith, Jonathan Vilma, Roman Harper and Jabari Greer.

However, Sproles' production started to dip last year, and the Saints might be banking on a steeper decline in the near future. Sproles was due to receive $3.5 million in salary and bonuses this year, the last of his contract -- all of which can be saved against the salary cap.

Sproles alluded to a potential departure from New Orleans on Twitter.

Thank you New Orleans for your support over the past 3 years! I will always be forever grateful. #WhoDat

Sproles set the NFL record for all-purpose yards in a season with 2,696 in 2011, when he first joined the Saints as a free agent from the San Diego Chargers. During his three years in New Orleans, he has amassed 1,067 rushing yards, 1,981 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns.

Comment

We do have two 5th rd picks (no 6th rder) and one 7th rder. Would you offer a 5th or 7th for Sproles Today?

Comment

We do have two 5th rd picks (no 6th rder) and one 7th rder. Would you offer a 5th or 7th for Sproles Today?
                              Maybe the 7th, but not 5. My guess is that he just gets released. I would think whoever gets him would want a 2 year deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X