Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a friekin world!

Richard Sherman: Would be 'almost racist' to ban N-word

One of the biggest debates this offseason is the proposal to ban the 'N-word' by the NFL and penalize a team if a player uses it on the field.

“It’s an atrocious idea,” Sherman told Peter King of Sports Illustrated. “It’s almost racist, to me. It’s weird they’re targeting one specific word. Why wouldn’t all curse words be banned then?”

Sherman emphasized that the n-word ending in “-er” is racist, but the n-word ending in “-a” is not, when used among African-American players.

“It’s in the locker room and on the field at all times,” Sherman said. “I hear it almost every series out there on the field.”
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

If they are only banning that word, then I have to agree with Sherman. Either you ban all racial epithets or you don't.

Now Sherman's defense (its in the article on ESPN) that it is a part of culture to use the word is where he fails. Let's use another scenario for comparison. If it is NFL culture to gay bash and that's the way its been does that make it ok?

The problem will be in the execution. Instead of the league handing something down like this that is close to unenforceable, I'd would rather like to see a team's player leadership (the captains) take it upon themselves to clean up their own locker room as leaders. Genuine change will only happen if it comes from your leaders, your peers, not some irrational edict from a guy you don't relate to.

Comment

Hmmm, If they banned the "N" word and then went a step further and banned the usage of "Mother F'er" --- about 75% of those guys couldn't talk anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
        Hmmm, If they banned the "N" word and then went a step further and banned the usage of "Mother F'er" --- about 75% of those guys couldn't talk anymore.

LOL! Fuckin - A!
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          Richard Sherman: Would be 'almost racist' to ban N-word

One of the biggest debates this offseason is the proposal to ban the 'N-word' by the NFL and penalize a team if a player uses it on the field.

“It’s an atrocious idea,” Sherman told Peter King of Sports Illustrated. “It’s almost racist, to me. It’s weird they’re targeting one specific word. Why wouldn’t all curse words be banned then?”

Sherman emphasized that the n-word ending in “-er” is racist, but the n-word ending in “-a” is not, when used among African-American players.

“It’s in the locker room and on the field at all times,” Sherman said. “I hear it almost every series out there on the field.”
          I was actually really starting to like Richard Sherman, but that's pretty silly. If you have to break it down to "-er" is racist and "-a" is not racist, then I think we've reached the point where it's just a word, and it's silly, and sticks and stones, etc etc ...and the world needs to stop being so sensitive about every little thing.

Comment

How about this? Let these guys call each other whatever they want. Who the heck gives a crap? The fake commissioner? Nobody cares!!! Get it??
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
              If they are only banning that word, then I have to agree with Sherman. Either you ban all racial epithets or you don't.

Now Sherman's defense (its in the article on ESPN) that it is a part of culture to use the word is where he fails. Let's use another scenario for comparison. If it is NFL culture to gay bash and that's the way its been does that make it ok?

The problem will be in the execution. Instead of the league handing something down like this that is close to unenforceable, I'd would rather like to see a team's player leadership (the captains) take it upon themselves to clean up their own locker room as leaders. Genuine change will only happen if it comes from your leaders, your peers, not some irrational edict from a guy you don't relate to.
              Yeah, ok Richard.

One other thing, I want players penalized when they say "aks" instead of "ask" in a sentence.

Comment

Yeah, it would be pretty damned difficult for a ref to discern the difference between an -er, and an -a in a noisy stadium. But how do you just pick out this one word? Somebody calls me a c*cksucker or a mutherf*cker, I am going to want to throw down as well.

So....what should the new rule be? no foul language(Based on George Carlins definition? Or perhaps no raised angry voices?

This is pointless.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                  Yeah, ok Richard.

One other thing, I want players penalized when they say "aks" instead of "ask" in a sentence.
                  Isn't it "axe" ? Damn I am behind the times.

Comment

Working...
                  X