Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can We Ever Expect A Classic Eagles D Again ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can We Ever Expect A Classic Eagles D Again ?

Looking back at the 1991 crew, and hoping, dreaming and wanting the ferocity that defense brought each week. I know the NFL of today would throw a flag on that team every other play, but damn that was fun to watch as they pounded teams into submission. Watching a great Eagles defense was one of the high points in my 50 years, I really hope to relive that feeling soon.

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Well, as I recall, Buddy used to use the first four picks in each draft on defense- that certainly helps.

Comment

We might as well do the same. Seems whenwe do get a top level offensive weapon, we just dump his ass.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
        We might as well do the same. Seems whenwe do get a top level offensive weapon, we just dump his ass.
        The only thing I'm thinking is this is a Chris Carter thing and years from now Chip will be doing an interview reflecting on his time coaching and the discussion of Jackson will come up and something will come up.

If not, than Kelly is being a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
          Well, as I recall, Buddy used to use the first four picks in each draft on defense- that certainly helps.
          Old age must be setting in, 1986 Keith Byars was his first round pick, 1988 Keith Jackson, he traded away a 1st round pick for Ron Solt. Now he did take Jerome Brown and Ben Smith in the first round. Eric Allen was a 2nd round pick.

Now what Buddy did great was get guys like Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner etc later in the draft. And he took guys like Reggie White, Wes Hopkins, Andre Waters and molded them into beasts
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Buddy did it with athletic big guys that could intimidate with explosiveness. Joyner, hopkins, reggie, allen, evans, JB, all could blow plays up with atleticism. That is what this defense needs.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I still think defense is what will drive the fan's crazy. Seattle's 12th man man would not come close to the philly fans with that type of D. I not sure Chip values D as much as points. He would rather you try to outscoure him. At least, that seems to have been his apprach to date. with a slary cap the way it is, i think you can build a strong D for a few years and then the pieces are pulled apart. Seattle lost some depth this year and we will see how that goes. I have to think having a servicable and not top QB helps as well. The rest of tht team's skill mix suffers when players cannot be retained due to $100 million dollar QB's and the weapons they need to warrant that kind of salary.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                Buddy did it with athletic big guys that could intimidate with explosiveness. Joyner, hopkins, reggie, allen, evans, JB, all could blow plays up with atleticism. That is what this defense needs.
                Boy, that was fun to watch wasn't it? I miss those days and those guys....

Comment

Originally posted by chickyoung View Post
                  Boy, that was fun to watch wasn't it? I miss those days and those guys....
                  Bud Carson was a genius.

Comment

Working...
                  X