Hard to replace Jackson ? Maybe Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to replace Jackson ? Maybe Not

DJAX not really that potent with Foles at the helm, among other things. If the offense is seeing a lot of man coverage, one would think the numbers would impress. 12 out of 16 games, we didn't get much from him. Coupled with the intense migranes he brings with him and the 10+ mil savings, maybe Chip has it right. Just saying

5 stats that may explain DeSean's departure

April 7, 2014, 9:00 am

In his career, DeSean Jackson has averaged 85 yards per game in September but just 66 the rest of the season. (USA Today Images)

Let’s forget the gangs for a minute. Let’s forget the rumors. Let’s forget the allegations, innuendos, and insinuations.
    And let’s just focus on numbers.
    The one thing nobody can dispute.
    DeSean Jackson caught 82 passes for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns last year, a career season. But a glance behind the numbers provides some potential football reasons the Eagles were willing to part with Jackson and get nothing in return.
    Here are five statistical factors that may have contributed to the Eagles’ decision to release Jackson:
    1. Second-half tailoff
    Jackson historically tails off as the year goes on. He has 20 career 100-yard games, and 10 of them -- half -- have been in September.
    Jackson in his career has averaged 85 yards per game in September but just 66 the rest of the year. That’s a significant dropoff, especially for an outdoor team in the Northeast that plays in a division with no domes.
    Does Jackson just not fare as well in cold weather?
    In nine dome games, he has averaged 102 yards per game, and outside he’s at 66 yards per game.
    If Jackson ever played on an indoor team, his numbers might be off the charts.
    2. The Foles Factor
    Jackson’s catches, targets and yards dropped significantly when Nick Foles replaced Michael Vick, and since Foles is going to be the Eagles’ quarterback moving forward, this is important.
    Jackson averaged 98 yards last year in games that Vick started and stayed healthy compared to 73 yards when Foles played the whole game. His targets dropped from 9.3 to 6.8 (including the playoff game and excluding the Giants game, when they both played).
    His receptions last season dropped from
    The second half of the year, once Foles became established as the starter, Jackson became less and less of a factor. He reached 60 yards in just one of the Eagles’ last six games.
    3. Lack of consistency
    Jackson had some huge games last year. He was over 190 yards against the Vikings and Chargers (both losses), and he had 150 yards vs. the Raiders and 132 in the first Giants game. But those four games accounted for more than half his season production. In his 12 other games, he averaged about 55 yards.
    Every receiver has highs and lows, but Jackson actually had only seven games with at least 65 yards, and 21 receivers league-wide had more.
    The most consistent receivers in the league don’t have as many down games as Jackson. Antonio Brown, for example, had at least 70 yards in 12 of 16 games.
    The Eagles could desire a receiver who may not have the drastic highs that Jackson has but also doesn’t have as many lows.
    4. Riley can go deep
    Believe it or not, Riley Cooper actually caught more deep balls from Foles last year than Jackson.
    We think of Jackson as one of the most dangerous deep threats in the league and Cooper as a modest mid-round pick. But while Jackson had eight receptions of 40 yards or more last year, half of them were from Vick.
    With Foles at quarterback, Cooper had six receptions of 40 yards or more -- more than Jackson.
    In fact, Cooper wound up sixth in the league with his six 40-yard receptions, behind only Jackson, Josh Gordon, A.J. Green, Torrey Smith and Alshon Jeffery -- and ahead of Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Vincent Jackson, Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown.
    Cooper may not stretch the field like DeSean because he doesn’t have his speed, but Cooper did prove that he can separate down the field and use his body to raise up and fight for the ball.
    5. The playoffs
    For whatever reason, Jackson has just not been a big-time postseason weapon. He caught that 62-yard touchdown from Donovan McNabb that gave the Eagles the lead in the fourth quarter of the 2008 NFC Championship Game, but that’s his only career postseason reception of 50 yards, and in six career playoff games he has only five catches of at least 20 yards.
    In the regular season, Jackson has averaged 4.1 catches and 70 yards in his career.
    In the postseason, he’s averaged 3.2 catches and 54 yards. In his last three playoff games, Jackson has eight catches, 114 yards and one TD.
    Granted, you’re facing better teams, better defenses, and better cornerbacks in the postseason. But among wideouts who have played at least three playoff games since 2008, Jackson ranks 21st with his 54 yards per game.
    For the sake of comparison, Jeremy Maclin has played two postseason games and has averaged 110 yards per game -- more than twice Jackson’s figure.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Umm, yeah. Lets see just how dangerous Riley is without a more dangerous WR playing across from him.

We better pray that Maclin comes back on fire.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
      Umm, yeah. Lets see just how dangerous Riley is without a more dangerous WR playing across from him.

We better pray that Maclin comes back on fire.
      Fresh, it's not just Maclin. Sproles is going to play a role. They also have some other weapons to work with. I could be wrong, but if Kelly thought there was going to be a drop off, if he couldn't keep the offense running without the #1WR they had in Jackson, I think he would have tolerated him. My money is on Kelly being right about this.

I know some people are bent out of shape on this, and they're worried about how big of a hit it's going to be losing Jackson. It will hurt, but I don't think it's going to be near as big of a deal as most, apparently. Kelly will adjust.

Comment

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. One thing that I liked about Jackson was that he wasn't a gagger. I can't say that about Cooper or Maclin. In fact, Maclin gagged his friekin brains out at crunch time the last season that he played. And Cooper probably cost us the playoff game against N.O.

I think that we'll move the ball just fine without Jackson, but we of course will miss the suddenness that he brought. You can't expect to lose a talent like that and not expect things to not change. I think that we'll just move the ball differently.

I'm expecting the defense to improve this season and would be very surprised if it didn't. So combining better defense with more ball control should mean a better overall team.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          I'm keeping my fingers crossed. One thing that I liked about Jackson was that he wasn't a gagger. I can't say that about Cooper or Maclin. In fact, Maclin gagged his friekin brains out at crunch time the last season that he played. And Cooper probably cost us the playoff game against N.O.

I think that we'll move the ball just fine without Jackson, but we of course will miss the suddenness that he brought. You can't expect to lose a talent like that and not expect things to not change. I think that we'll just move the ball differently.

I'm expecting the defense to improve this season and would be very surprised if it didn't. So combining better defense with more ball control should mean a better overall team.
          Jackson never showed up in crunch time so I guess he couldn't gag. I know he returned a punt to win a game, but that was how long ago ?
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
            Jackson never showed up in crunch time so I guess he couldn't gag. I know he returned a punt to win a game, but that was how long ago ?
            He made that big catch on the jump ball against NO in the 4th quarter. And he didn't drop passes. He didn't Gag. But he really wasn't the go to guy either. That was usually Avant and Maclin until last year when Nick turned to Cooper.

Comment

Please. DJ was/is a talent! People still seem to want to minimize the potential loss and HOPE that it is over come. I HOPE they are right. But it certainly is an area where the move needs to be questioned.

And all this well they now have Sproles and Maclin back is crap-- they had Sproles and Maclin back AND had DJ.

Again maybe it was the right move, but certainly it leaves room to question it.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                Please. DJ was/is a talent! People still seem to want to minimize the potential loss and HOPE that it is over come. I HOPE they are right. But it certainly is an area where the move needs to be questioned.

And all this well they now have Sproles and Maclin back is crap-- they had Sproles and Maclin back AND had DJ.

Again maybe it was the right move, but certainly it leaves room to question it.

OK, I'll let it go. We can't argue this until September Bud. But I think you're questioning the wrong party.

Comment

Huh?

OK DJ is an asshole, shouldn't be on the team, hurts more than he helps-- OK?

Still question the timing and some of the back story. Not sure what party I should be questioning when it comes to the timing and control of where he goes.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    Huh?

OK DJ is an asshole, shouldn't be on the team, hurts more than he helps-- OK?

Still question the timing and some of the back story. Not sure what party I should be questioning when it comes to the timing and control of where he goes.
                    If all this is only about timing I can agree. But anything else I'm very obviously adamant about.

Comment

One of the things that we will miss is Jackson's stretching of the field and his drawing out of a safety. Neither Cooper nor Maclin will stretch the field or draw double-teams the way DJax did.
                      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Working...
                      X