Who will Houston deal with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will Houston deal with?

Seeing as though the world is in love with Clowney and Houston needs a QB, it only makes sense that they try to deal the first pick. But how far down can they drop and still be assured they get "their guy", whoever that is? Do they risk going out of the top 3? 5? Or 10? I doubt that they go out of the top 10. I really think all this time they've been trying to choose between Manziel and Bortles. Maybe Bridgewater, but if they are thinking deeper they might as well go ahead and take Clowney. I'm guessing Johnny Football myself.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I don't follow them that closely so my opinion isn't that relevant. However, what I do know is I wouldn't want to be in their position. Like you said, they NEED a qb, have the #1 but the QBs in this draft aren't as good as other years. Perhaps it will turn out well but bad timing for them.

Comment

JMO, but O'Brien can coach up a QB and put him in a position to do well, Clowney and Watt would make that D pretty solid ,I think they go with Clowney.
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

If I was Houston as soon as Goodell says they are on the clock I run that card up there with Clowneys name on it. Then see how things fall, worst case trade back into the 1st round for a qb but if not they could do much worse than taking an AJ McCarron or Zach Mettenger to start round 2
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
          I don't follow them that closely so my opinion isn't that relevant. However, what I do know is I wouldn't want to be in their position. Like you said, they NEED a qb, have the #1 but the QBs in this draft aren't as good as other years. Perhaps it will turn out well but bad timing for them.
          I don't know what else Manziel or Bortles have to do to convince people, but I'd take either one of them in Houston's shoes.

Comment

Ummm, I'm pretty sure the best philosophy is the you don't draft for need or at least that is what I hear. Take the best player and the best player isn't a QB. Now, at the top of the second you may want to take a QB. If you really want a QB you don't fall behind Minn.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Clowney and then grab a guy like McCarron, or the kid from LSU or Georgia late.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
                Ummm, I'm pretty sure the best philosophy is the you don't draft for need or at least that is what I hear. Take the best player and the best player isn't a QB. Now, at the top of the second you may want to take a QB. If you really want a QB you don't fall behind Minn.
                I agree, but let's face it-QB's are different. I don't understand how some people don't see that. Just look at the playoffs-the teams with the best QBs make it. When their contracts are up it costs $20million a year to keep them. Did you ever hear of a franchise guard? Your whole offense depends on how he performs. And if Houston takes Clowney, they have a great chance to be picking first again next year.

Comment

take Clowney and hope one of the top QB's falls to the middle of round 1 and trade the 2nd and whatever it takes to get back into the middle of the round and get the QB. Having Clowney and Watt would make their D more than a little formidable. Giving up a second and third rounder to get back into the first to get the franchise QB is worth it. They would basically be giving up a third rounder for their QB of the future and that's an easy call IMM.
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                    take Clowney and hope one of the top QB's falls to the middle of round 1 and trade the 2nd and whatever it takes to get back into the middle of the round and get the QB. Having Clowney and Watt would make their D more than a little formidable. Giving up a second and third rounder to get back into the first to get the franchise QB is worth it. They would basically be giving up a third rounder for their QB of the future and that's an easy call IMM.
                    That's not a bad strategy Juk as long as you get "your guy". To me it's a real gamble. QBs go fast every year. There might not be a Luck this year, but these top QBs have been getting no love from the media and I think they are very wrong-as usual!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      That's not a bad strategy Juk as long as you get "your guy". To me it's a real gamble. QBs go fast every year. There might not be a Luck this year, but these top QBs have been getting no love from the media and I think they are very wrong-as usual!

That's why I think at least one of them will drop into the middle to late first round. Houston can make their defense a juggernaut for years to come by taking Clowney. They just have to trust that they can get back into the middle of the first to get one of the QB's - who will of course be "their guy".
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                        That's why I think at least one of them will drop into the middle to late first round. Houston can make their defense a juggernaut for years to come by taking Clowney. They just have to trust that they can get back into the middle of the first to get one of the QB's - who will of course be "their guy".
                        If they don't get Manziel there could be a revolt down there!

Comment

Agree that QBs are a special case but I would also submit that a bad QB is a bad QB no matter where he is picked. History will tell us that an average to good QB can handle your team if you have other players that take you above the grade. Give me a top flight OL and defense with a good QB every time compared to a great QB without the supporting cast.
                          Going into the draft it is easy to score your QBs high if you need one. If you are honest though you can't take a QB that you have rated 12 or 13 when you have others rated 1, 2, or 3. Take a chance if player ratings are close. I just don't think these QBs are nearly as highly rated by teams as some other players
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
                            Agree that QBs are a special case but I would also submit that a bad QB is a bad QB no matter where he is picked. History will tell us that an average to good QB can handle your team if you have other players that take you above the grade. Give me a top flight OL and defense with a good QB every time compared to a great QB without the supporting cast.
                            Going into the draft it is easy to score your QBs high if you need one. If you are honest though you can't take a QB that you have rated 12 or 13 when you have others rated 1, 2, or 3. Take a chance if player ratings are close. I just don't think these QBs are nearly as highly rated by teams as some other players

I think a lot of that is media driven and smokescreens by interested teams ND. And taking a lineman for big bucks is a lot safer pick no doubt. I think it just depends on how much Houston wants to gamble. Hell, they've sure had enough time to think about it this year!

Comment

Scratch this thread!!

Comment

Working...
                              X