Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I expect this guy will be trouble again this year

Redskins Offensive Coordinator: RGIII 'looks extremely explosive'

Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay was asked about Robert Griffin’s running burst on ESPN 980 in Washington DC, Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post reports.

“I don’t think there’s any question: he looks explosive,” the first year coordinator said. “He looks like he is exactly what he was in the 2012 season. I think people underestimate when you have a brace on your knee how much that truly restricts you….So I think being able to take that off, he looks extremely explosive.

“And when you’re a quarterback that has the ability to kind of buy time with your legs, keep your eyes downfield and then if guys are playing with their back to the quarterback, now he’s got a chance to take off and run it and create yards that way,” McVay said. “So I think that’s going to be a big part of what he does. And he’s continuing to get more and more comfortable feeling some of those soft spots in the pockets, and being able to remain a passer while also understanding that hey, I do have this elite trait with my legs and athleticism, that if things do break down I can create that way also.”

“I think the thing that’s great about Robert is he’s one of the most charismatic people I’ve been around,” McVay said. “He’s got a great energy. Kind of one of those guys, he’s a natural leader where people are just drawn to him. When you look at when he first came in 2012, he brought an immediate spark to our organization as a whole, not just our offense.

“And you saw that this whole offseason. He did a great job picking up the new terminology that we’re using — and we will still do some similar things that we’ve done in the past that have been able to give us some success these last two seasons. But he did an excellent job, and I think he and Jay have a great rapport that they’re getting ready to continue to develop as the season moves forward and as we go into the future. We’re really excited about him, and really happy with what he was able to accomplish this offseason.”
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

He's going to be threat this year... until the next season ending injury in mid-October. He is just too fragile to be too much of a problem IMM. He's great when he gets on the field but spends so much time on the trainers table that I don't worey about him too much.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I don't think the Redskins are going to let him run that much for fear that he will have another season-ending injury.
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
        I don't think the Redskins are going to let him run that much for fear that he will have another season-ending injury.
        Gruden's offense doesn't need a running QB or at least it didn't in Cinncinati. It was Kyle Shanahan's horseshit that got him hurt.

Damn, I wish he was still in DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
          He's going to be threat this year... until the next season ending injury in mid-October. He is just too fragile to be too much of a problem IMM. He's great when he gets on the field but spends so much time on the trainers table that I don't worey about him too much.
          I tend to agree but DMac gave us many a happy day when he scrambled. I just don't think you can do that (esp when you aren't DMac's size) in the NFL. Just too many big, fast guys who can hurt you. That is Vick's problem; maybe RG is smarter and will work the pocket hard before he runs
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
            I tend to agree but DMac gave us many a happy day when he scrambled. I just don't think you can do that (esp when you aren't DMac's size) in the NFL. Just too many big, fast guys who can hurt you. That is Vick's problem; maybe RG is smarter and will work the pocket hard before he runs
            I would expect that Gruden will be smart enough not to feature the read option in those situations where RG can barely walk.

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
              They need to keep him in the pocket and put a good line in front of him to limit his exposure to hits, because the simple fact of the matter is that he throws a mean face. His propensity for taking painful hits is surpassed only by Mike Vick.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                I would expect that Gruden will be smart enough not to feature the read option in those situations where RG can barely walk.
                Yea he can tell him all he wants but if RG's fall back is to run when his first read isn't there he will do that. It is tough to get the runner to sit in the pocket; they tend to revert to their running skill as opposed to waiting for the receiver to make something happen. If Gruden can convert him to a pocket guy who maintains his option to run then he will be difficult to face
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Yea he can tell him all he wants but if RG's fall back is to run when his first read isn't there he will do that. It is tough to get the runner to sit in the pocket; they tend to revert to their running skill as opposed to waiting for the receiver to make something happen. If Gruden can convert him to a pocket guy who maintains his option to run then he will be difficult to face
                  I hearya ND. He's not really built to take punishment, but he is a tremendous talent when healthy. No way we see a repeat of lay year.

Comment

Him being able to improvise, and Desean's ability to burn it deep could make for some highlights for the Skins this year. RG3 has the arm to get it out there, too.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                      Him being able to improvise, and Desean's ability to burn it deep could make for some highlights for the Skins this year. RG3 has the arm to get it out there, too.
                      Jax and Garcon will put pressure on defenses for sure.

Comment

RG is pretty young for this crap

Baylor's new stadium will have a statue of Robert Griffin III

Robert Griffin III will be honored with a statue at Baylor's new football stadium, David Ubben of FOX Sports Southwest reports.

Midland, Texas native Tom White of Tom White Studios in Prescott Valley, Ariz., completed the 9.5-foot bronze sculpture of Baylor's only Heisman Trophy winner and it will be installed in the south end zone plaza of McLane Stadium the week of Baylor's season opener against SMU on Sunday, Aug. 31.

The statue will rest in front of panels and photos celebrating his accomplishments at Baylor.

Tom White and his wife, Marcey, traveled with Baylor officials to Washington, D.C. last April to take photos of Griffin, the Redskins' quarterback, wearing his old Baylor uniform. Griffin chose his favorite photos and the Whites submitted several options to Baylor officials, who picked their favorite.

The official pose is being kept under wraps until the final unveiling.

"We'd like to keep all photos of it private and anything to describe the pose so there's some surprise at the unveiling," Marcey White told Fox Sports Southwest.

The sculpture has been finished after Griffin and his wife traveled to the couple's Arizona studio in May for a final sitting. It's now being cast in a foundry and will be brought to Baylor the week of the inaugural game.

"It's gonna be awesome," White said. "It's a great tribute to him and all his wonderful accomplishments."

Comment

Griffin is a major talent, there is no doubt about that. They are going to be a force on offense with some decent coaching. I think they'll rebound a bit this year, as long as Griffin doesn't get crunched.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                            Griffin is a major talent, there is no doubt about that. They are going to be a force on offense with some decent coaching. I think they'll rebound a bit this year, as long as Griffin doesn't get crunched.
                            That is the key--getting crunched. Like the Phils---they would be great IF they didn't get old, IF they didn't get hurt, etc. If I'm betting I'm betting RG doesn't hold up
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

That is the key--getting crunched. Like the Phils---they would be great IF they didn't get old, IF they didn't get hurt, etc. If I'm betting I'm betting RG doesn't hold up
                              Betting or hoping.

I hope Griffin tries to scramble and gets hammered because he makes that team dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                              X