X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Brad Smith?

For Smith, branching out keeps career going

Martin Frank, The News Journal 12:46 a.m. EDT September 1, 2014

PHILADELPHIA – There most likely weren't many anxious moments for Brad Smith over the past week while teams cut their rosters down from 90 to 53.

The Eagles' wide receiver has made himself into a versatile and valuable player, with experience at quarterback, running back and receiver.

But it's Smith's work on special teams that has garnered him the most notice, not to mention roster security, which was guaranteed Saturday when Smith made the Eagles' 53-man roster. The Eagles signed him last November after Buffalo released him off their injured reserve list.

Wing Tips: Eagles sign 8 to practice squad

"I love it, man," Smith said. "I look at myself as a football player now. Not many people can really say that that they're able to learn all of [those positions], and then compete at them. So I'm tremendously blessed."

The ironic part of that is when Smith was a star quarterback at the University of Missouri in 2005, he said he couldn't care less about special teams. Now, Smith is the only player in NFL history to score a touchdown rushing, receiving, passing, on a kickoff return and on a blocked punt.

"I didn't know what special teams was other than they kicked it and we got the ball and went on the field," Smith said. "It makes you appreciate it, man. It's a huge part of the game. All the techniques and skills and schemes that go into it, and you hear people saying, 'He's just a special team guy.' You don't have any idea of what that entails, how much value that player brings. That's huge."

And it also prolonged his career.

Smith is entering his ninth season in the NFL, but none of those seasons have been as a starting quarterback, even though he was drafted in the fourth round by the New York Jets in 2006. In fact, Smith has never thrown more than three passes in a season. For his career, he's 4 for 10 for 51 yards and a touchdown. His only attempt last season with the Eagles was incomplete.

Yet Smith has 976 yards rushing, 972 yards receiving, and has averaged 28.2 yards per kickoff return. It's not known if Smith will return kicks with the Eagles this season, but he'll have a prominent role on that unit as well as the other special teams units.

For Smith, the decision to branch out and try other positions was an easy one.

"I wanted to play quarterback, but I wanted to play in the NFL more," Smith said. "So it was kind of like, 'I want to [play quarterback], but if you want to me do something else, I'll be glad to do that.' I love the game more than I love one position."

Part of sticking around this season had to do with grooming the player who would take his position in rookie Jordan Matthews. When training camp started, Smith was with the first unit and Matthews the second unit. By the time training camp ended, Matthews had replaced Smith with the starters.

Smith, of course, knew that the Eagles drafted Matthews in the second round with the expectation that he would be able to play right away. Matthews said Smith helped make that transition easier.

"Brad's probably one of the best mentors from the standpoint not only as a football player, but as a human being, a person," Matthews said. "When you're a rookie, you can be nervous coming into a position where there might be some guys ahead of you. You know those guys know more. They have more experience, and you're worried if they're going to want to bring you along.

"Brad's been nothing but a great teammate to me the entire time. He's been encouraging me, making sure I'm in my playbook, doing the things off the field as far as recovery."

That hasn't gone unnoticed by the coaching staff.

"One thing you knew from the get-go was how professional his approach was to the game, how hard he works at it and how hard he studies film," Eagles coach Chip Kelly said. "He's really a selfless player ... He's one of those guys who will do whatever it takes to win a game."
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"
Working...
X