X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A monster deal draft day won't shock anybody

Kelly On Mariota: ‘He’s Everything You Want’

By Sheil Kapadia | December 11, 2014 at 12:19 pm

On Saturday night, there’s a pretty good chance that Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota will win the Heisman Trophy.

To the man who recruited him and coached him for two years, that’s not really a surprise.

"I had nothing to do with Marcus. When he was a freshman, I remarked, 'This kid's gonna win the Heisman,' " said Chip Kelly. "He's a special young man, and he's a hell of a football player, and he deserves it. But I don't think it was any impact that I had. The type of kid that he is, he had an impact on everybody that got to coach him. I'm sure Mark Helfrich and Scott Frost will tell you the same thing. He's just a special young man and very deserving of the award."

Why did Kelly think that Mariota, as a freshman, would eventually hoist the Heisman?

"Because he's a special player. He's just got a gift for playing football. He's everything you want. He can throw the ball. He can run. He's the most talented kid that I coached at college."

Playing for Kelly in 2012, Mariota completed 68.5 percent of his passes while throwing 32 touchdowns and six interceptions. He also ran for 752 yards and five touchdowns

In 2014, Mariota completed 68.3 percent of his passes with 38 touchdowns and two picks. He also ran for 669 yards and 14 scores.

Asked what's impressed him most about Mariota in the past two years, Kelly said: "I don't get a chance, because their games are on so late, sometimes I watch the first half and I fall asleep. So I haven't had a chance to watch a full body of work from him. But anything he does numbers-wise and things like that don't surprise me. But I think it's how he handles himself, his demeanor and all those things that really kind of set him apart. He's a special young man from that standpoint."

The Eagles figure to be picking no higher than the 20s in the draft. Early indications are that Mariota will be a top-five pick, although obviously a lot can change between now and draft time.

As unlikely as it might be, there figures to be plenty of conversation this offseason about a potential trade-up
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

You have to realize how different college is from the pros. This is the kid Kelly RECRUITED to run his offense. of course he'd want him now. Duh!!!!!!!

Sucks that we would have to trade our entire draft to grab him.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
      You have to realize how different college is from the pros. This is the kid Kelly RECRUITED to run his offense. of course he'd want him now. Duh!!!!!!!

Sucks that we would have to trade our entire draft to grab him.
      Foles + 2 #1s?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        Foles + 2 #1s?
        You're half way there...

Comment

Originally posted by fly View Post
          You're half way there...
          Maybe, but the kid is nowhere near as hyped as RGIII was.

Comment

Maybe, but the kid is nowhere near as hyped as RGIII was.
            Yes, but we need to move up like 20 spots ... whereas the redskins moved up just a couple.

Comment

Yes, but we need to move up like 20 spots ... whereas the redskins moved up just a couple.
              I guess that it's unrealistic that it would happen unless Howie is as slick as Kevin Costner in draft day.

Comment

I'll buy that he is a potential great NFL QB-maybe but is it worth giving up all that you would have to give. Is Mike Ditka coaching the team now? Maybe a NO/Wash combined haul would work.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

I guess that it's unrealistic that it would happen unless Howie is as slick as Kevin Costner in draft day.
                  OMG, don't get me started again on draft day ... lol!

Comment

OMG, don't get me started again on draft day ... lol!
                    If only...

"I want ALL my picks back"

Comment

No thanks. Mariota is gonna go high, and has potential. But too many other needs this team has to basically give up a ton of picks for a not sure thing. The secondary and O line HAS to be priority number 1 and 1a this offseason and draft. And I'm still in the camp saying that a ton of people are giving up on Foles way too fast. It's mind numbing to me how quick some are ready to turn the page on him.

This team is close. Another draft and another round of FA signings and this team becomes legit contenders. That's not gonna happen if you blow a ton of picks to move up for one player. Say you get him. Yeah, maybe your offense becomes even more dynamic. But that defense is still going to be about the same and the O line gets a year older (peters and mathis especially). Basically, don't turn into the Redskins and we're gonna be alright!!
                      Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
                        No thanks. Mariota is gonna go high, and has potential. But too many other needs this team has to basically give up a ton of picks for a not sure thing. The secondary and O line HAS to be priority number 1 and 1a this offseason and draft. And I'm still in the camp saying that a ton of people are giving up on Foles way too fast. It's mind numbing to me how quick some are ready to turn the page on him.

This team is close. Another draft and another round of FA signings and this team becomes legit contenders. That's not gonna happen if you blow a ton of picks to move up for one player. Say you get him. Yeah, maybe your offense becomes even more dynamic. But that defense is still going to be about the same and the O line gets a year older (peters and mathis especially). Basically, don't turn into the Redskins and we're gonna be alright!!
                        I doubt if it happens either, but we all know that Chip moves in mysterious ways. I said in an earlier thread that the football junkie Chip may find a QB hidden someplace in division 2 or 3. And I sure hope that they learned their lesson drafting for need this year (and as it turned out they didn't even need an OLB anyway!).

Comment

I would expect Howie and Co to explore moving up into position, seeing what the price would be. Ultimately, I think it will me way too much and we will move on to plan B. I think getting Marriota would be a fairy tale, but it's fun to think about.
                          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

There is no way they can afford to give up what it would take to get Mariota. Sorry to add bad news here guys but the reality is that the Redskins are likely to get him. They have a 1st round pick for the first time in a few years and it's very likely that if Gruden stays and RGIII is traded they will go for Mariota. That would absolutely suck but as it stands right now, the Skins would have the #6 pick so he could fall to them or they could move up 1-2 spots to grab him. If they do land him I could see Gruden trying to emulate Chip's system.
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                              There is no way they can afford to give up what it would take to get Mariota. Sorry to add bad news here guys but the reality is that the Redskins are likely to get him. They have a 1st round pick for the first time in a few years and it's very likely that if Gruden stays and RGIII is traded they will go for Mariota. That would absolutely suck but as it stands right now, the Skins would have the #6 pick so he could fall to them or they could move up 1-2 spots to grab him. If they do land him I could see Gruden trying to emulate Chip's system.
                              I just think he's a great fit for Chip. I'm not thinking he's a sure shot for anybody else.

Comment

Working...
                              X