No announcement yet.

Who Should Be Our Next Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hue Jackson has to be among the top candidates for the job. Like Andy Reid, he has a great reputation for working with QB's. He has extensive experience working under some of the top coaches in the league. He's also a hot commodity.

Perhaps the biggest question is if he wants to come to Philly. He'll probably have several job offers.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
      Hue Jackson has to be among the top candidates for the job. Like Andy Reid, he has a great reputation for working with QB's. He has extensive experience working under some of the top coaches in the league. He's also a hot commodity.

Perhaps the biggest question is if he wants to come to Philly. He'll probably have several job offers.
      I would think that Indy will get the first shot at any hot commodity. Whoever gets the job gets "Lucky."
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I normally would have said that I don't want any re tread coaches in here. But at this point I just don't want any gimmicky "progressive" young upstart . Makes me nervous. So you look at the billick and the Cowhers, gruden, Payton, harbaugh........I'm willing to consider that. I just want some e with the mentality of playing some physical damned football.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Rooney rule out of the way? He may get it through default

Report: Duce Staley interviews for Eagles head coach job

Jan
          1/2/2016 12:40:23 PM

The Eagles have interviewed running backs coach Duce Staley for thier head coaching vacancy, a job that is now open after the team fired Chip Kelly earlier this week, Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ Advance Media reports. This according to Ed Werder of ESPN.

Staley played for the Eagles from 1997-2003, and has coached with the team since 2011.

With Kelly fired, the Eagles put offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur in charge for this Sunday's game against the New York Giants, not Staley.

Assuming the report is correct, interviewing Staley means the Eagles have now fufilled the "Ronney Rule", which was established in 2003 and requires NFL teams to interview at least one minority candidate for a head coaching or senior personnel position.

Comment

What about the Rooney rule? Did the Eagles fulfill that yet?

Comment

Obviously Duce is not ready for that step yet. But I am glad to have him around the organization and hope that he continues to be part of the program. He needs to learn under a good OC next, and then become a coordinator. Cool that he seems bent on coaching. Mentally, Duce was always a gamer and took a good, serious approach to the game. I expect that to carry over as a coach.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                Obviously Duce is not ready for that step yet. But I am glad to have him around the organization and hope that he continues to be part of the program. He needs to learn under a good OC next, and then become a coordinator. Cool that he seems bent on coaching. Mentally, Duce was always a gamer and took a good, serious approach to the game. I expect that to carry over as a coach.
                Harbough went from ST coach to the Ravens HC. Art shell went from O line coach to HC zt Oakland. Mike Tice at Minny did too. It's been done before.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  Harbough went from ST coach to the Ravens HC. Art shell went from O line coach to HC zt Oakland. Mike Tice at Minny did too. It's been done before.
                  Wasn't Reid a QB coach before Eagles hired him?

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                    Wasn't Reid a QB coach before Eagles hired him?
                    Yep. Harbaugh had spent many, many years as an assistant though, so had a good idea of what it took. Reid had spent seven years in the Packers' coaching staff too. I imagine both had gotten to be confidants of the head coach enough to get a good look into that side of things.

Duce... might be ready to be an OC, though it would probably help to have a head coach who came up on the offensive side. Sort of like McDermott was better served with Rivera as a head coach than Reid at that stage of his career.

I'm sure the Eagles have some legitimate interest in Duce's perspective, even if the end goal might be a coordinator or just for a few years down the line. But yes, this would also be to get the Rooney rule out of the way. That way, if a target of desire becomes available, the Eagles will have the jump on other teams since they could offer a contract immediately, while other teams would have to go through the Rooney Rule motions if they wanted to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                      Yep. Harbaugh had spent many, many years as an assistant though, so had a good idea of what it took. Reid had spent seven years in the Packers' coaching staff too. I imagine both had gotten to be confidants of the head coach enough to get a good look into that side of things.

Duce... might be ready to be an OC, though it would probably help to have a head coach who came up on the offensive side. Sort of like McDermott was better served with Rivera as a head coach than Reid at that stage of his career.

I'm sure the Eagles have some legitimate interest in Duce's perspective, even if the end goal might be a coordinator or just for a few years down the line. But yes, this would also be to get the Rooney rule out of the way. That way, if a target of desire becomes available, the Eagles will have the jump on other teams since they could offer a contract immediately, while other teams would have to go through the Rooney Rule motions if they wanted to do the same.
                      Good points. I didn't consider that angle, re: Rooney Rule as it pertains to the progression of the search overall.

Comment

This isn't an endorsement of Duce or an indictment...

Experience is meaningless. You either have it or you don't. A person can have twenty years experience. That can be twenty years of the same year over and over. Or it can be twenty years of successive growth. If Duce has the "it" factor as a coach it will not matter if he has all the prerequisites checked off.

Does he have the it factor?

Comment

Originally posted by bird is da word View Post

Experience is meaningless. You either have it or you don't. A person can have twenty years experience. That can be twenty years of the same year over and over. Or it can be twenty years of successive growth. If Duce has the "it" factor as a coach it will not matter if he has all the prerequisites checked off.

Good points, all.

FWIW he is highly thought of in some quarters. Louis Riddick spoke highly of him when this news broke. Says he has desirable qualities and will make a good HC in the future.

Is he ready now? I can only guess at that.

Comment

I was not meaning to bash Duce at all. But in no way do I think Duce has the experience to run the whole show. There are exceptions to every rule, of course. But a few years as a RB coach doesn't provide Duce with much perspective or experience. If he has the right stuff, then yes, one day he will make a fine coach.

Comment

Originally posted by bird is da word View Post

Experience is far from meaningless. Even if you know the Xs and Os, dealing with a locker room of personalities and really matching wits with other coordinators (constant adjustments) can take some time to get used to. Head coach especially, since you are more removed from the Xs and Os, and need to learn to deal with the press, and more personnel decisions, etc. It's not something that a position coach usually jumps to, unless they have long experience in a coaching staff and get a good idea of the demands of the HC job.

Like you say, some will just have the right instincts and be good at it right away. For some others, experience helps. I gave McDermott as an example -- he was not good as a DC here, but has been very good in Carolina, when he had a head coach who could teach him the nuances of his job. Sometimes there are good coordinators who will never make good coaches, and there are other coaches who need to fail once before doing it better in their second job. Pete Carroll has done far better in Seattle than he did with the Jets, for example (and there are many others). Experience is not a guarantee at all, but in most things in life you do learn from mistakes. If you've been around long enough to learn from other people's mistakes, that can be enough. Not sure Duce has yet. But, that's why you interview, because maybe he has.

Comment

Fairoaks. You certainly do a better job than I did explaining. For some experience is huge. It makes a tremendous difference. Others just keep repeating the first year over and over. My intention was to make the point that not all great leaders need to log miles before they can successfully lead a group. There is not one leadership path. Where does Duce exist on that continuum? I don't know. I wouldn't discount him from the position solely on the length and depth of his resume. I haven't spoken to him, I don't know what is truly needed in the locker room, and I don't know if Duce has a grasp of such and a plan to correct the course of this franchise.

Comment

Working...
                                X