Don't Panic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
    What if Pederson takes Andy's good with him and corrects his flaws such as clock management and WR "screens" or whatever it was suppose to be and corrects them? I'd say that would make a pretty good HC.
    Stop with the logic..... Of course you are right but the board doesn't know the guy anymore then you or I do. But they assume a lot.

If it is Pederson, then great, we have a coach who the league knows nothing about how he will be as a HC.

Hell, if he can have a run as good as AR's here(maybe even win a SB) then I look forward to it. Hell the results of AR not being here are horrible. Kotite, Rhoades, and Chip the genius have not been any fun at all!

Puppet? ........... this only assumes that this is what Lurie wants, and I believe he wants a winner more then a puppet!

Comment

It isn't "logical" to hope that Pederson doesn't bring all the characteristics of Andy Reid. It is more like wishful thinking.

IMO, hiring Pederson is a reaction by Lurie/Roseman to the mistake they must feel in granting too much power to Kelly. There is also a familiarity in hiring an ex-Eagle and an associate of Andy Reid. In their minds, it must feel as a safe move, a return to what worked in the past. Also, without without having any HC experience or any past history of selecting players, Pederson has little leverage in deciding which players he wants for his team. In short, he is the anti-Kelly - a neophyte they can mold rather than someone who will dictate what he wants.

I, personally, would have chosen someone with a past history of success as a head coach or an long-time assistant with many years in the league. IMO, Tom Coughlin or Hue Jackson would have been better choices. Coughlin has a proven record of actually winning Super Bowls, and Hue Jackson has experience as a head coach.

Of course, like any loyal Eagles fan, I will support Pederson and hope that he is successful. However, In my view, if Lurie really wanted a winner, he would have selected someone with a proven record of winning, rather than choosing someone who is becoming a head coach for the first time and hoping he will be successful.
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Logic? Try assumptions,,,, and that is all I see here. Pederson will do this, Pederson will do that, Pederson will be a puppet, Pederson doesn't have this, Pederson doesn't have that---- all guess work and assumptions--- and yet nobody knows this guy. AT ALL!!!

He may come in and be the next Belicheat or he might be the next Rich Kotite, I dunno, and I know no one else knows either. So Rossovich's logic is just as well founded and likely to happen as all the other Freudian guesses I see here. In fact even more so if Pederson is at all human and has the desire to succeed -- he is just as likely,(probably actually more likely) to take AR's good, and leave behind the bad as any other scenario that's being bandied about

Comment

Yes, I assume that Coughlin might have a better shot at winning a Super Bowl because he has actually won a Super Bowl. What can one assume from someone who has never coached a game in the NFL?
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

So we have a coach (???) I am fine with Pederson. Now tell who is the DC and then we can start grumbling. Its all in the assistants. Of course gotta decide on a QB. Can you see a Kap/Bradford swap in the mix? Will RG3 want to come here for a chance to be a starter ? Do we draft a guy for the future? Gosh so many questions!

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
              So we have a coach (???) I am fine with Pederson. Now tell who is the DC and then we can start grumbling. Its all in the assistants. Of course gotta decide on a QB. Can you see a Kap/Bradford swap in the mix? Will RG3 want to come here for a chance to be a starter ? Do we draft a guy for the future? Gosh so many questions!

LOL! So begins the Pederson era.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                I'm thinking that drafting McNabb was what made Reid so successful. If he had drafted Akili Smith, he would have been out of here in three years.

I share your biggest fear. IMO, Pederson was chosen (if he actually is the choice) because Howie could boss him around for a few years. That is scary. So maybe we should start panicking when the decision is announced.

You make a good point. Reid had the benefit of owning the #2 pick in the draft to go and pick his franchise QB. Pederson is not going to have that advantage, in fact he is not even going to have a 2nd rounder.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

THis is actually a pretty good piece...by G Cobb? Yep.

So What, Doug Pederson Wasn’t Their First Option

From what I can decipher, the Eagles decision to hire Doug Pederson was made because they missed out on former Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase, when he signed with the Miami Dolphins. Later on, New York Giants offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo was promoted to head coach by the Giants, so he was off the board. Next up former Giants head coach Tom Coughlin backed out on the Birds because of some assistant coach issues. The Eagles wanted him to keep certain assistants on the staff and Coughlin was going to have difficulty building his staff because many of them were staying in New York with McAdoo.
                  The Birds were overcome by the anxiety of waiting throughout the weekend and maybe even longer until the Chiefs were eliminated from the playoffs. They couldn’t take waiting, so they made their move.

They weren’t going to interview Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott because of a rumored run-in he had with Eagles defector GM Howie Roseman. It’s rumored that they disagreed about a player and the disagreement got personal. I wanted to see McDermott come this way because the Eagles currently have much better personnel on the defensive side of the ball than they have on the offensive side of the ball.
                  Still the fact that Pederson might not have been the Birds overwhelming first choice doesn’t mean anything. Hiring him might wind up being the best move Lurie has ever made as the Eagles owner. We will have to wait and see.
                  Pederson might be the best coach being hired this year. It’s like the draft. You don’t know which players can play based on when they are drafted. We all have to wait and see.

Check out the playoffs this weekend.
                  Green Bay at Arizona – Nobody wanted Bruce Arians a few years ago, who was thought to have seen his best days. Chip Kelly was the sexy pick, in fact the Eagles canceled an interview of Arians. The Packers Mike McCarthy was under the radar as a offensive coordinator for the Saints and the Niners before taking over in Green Bay.

Seattle at Carolina – Ron Rivera wasn’t a celebrated pick when the Panthers signed him. He had been defensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers and previously the Eagles linebackers coach.
                  Pete Carroll left USC in much the same way that Chip Kelly left Oregon. There was rumors of NCAA sanctions. Carroll had also failed in his previous coaching jobs in New England and with the Jets. Seattle is glad they gave him a shot.

Kansas City at New England – Was anybody jumping for joy when the Patriots hired up Bill Belichick, who was run out of Cleveland? Eagles fans weren’t crying when Andy Reid was signed by the Chiefs. Now we all might appreciate him more from a distance.

Pittsburgh at Denver – Mike Tomlin was considered too young and unaccomplished when the Steelers signed him. Gary Kubiak was fired in mid season by the Houston Texans, but the Broncos gave him a shot.
                  Some of these coaches were second, third and fourth choices, but so what.

You can’t know how good a coach is going to be simply by how much fan fair was around his signing.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                    THis is actually a pretty good piece...by G Cobb? Yep.

So What, Doug Pederson Wasn’t Their First Option

From what I can decipher, the Eagles decision to hire Doug Pederson was made because they missed out on former Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase, when he signed with the Miami Dolphins. Later on, New York Giants offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo was promoted to head coach by the Giants, so he was off the board. Next up former Giants head coach Tom Coughlin backed out on the Birds because of some assistant coach issues. The Eagles wanted him to keep certain assistants on the staff and Coughlin was going to have difficulty building his staff because many of them were staying in New York with McAdoo.
                    The Birds were overcome by the anxiety of waiting throughout the weekend and maybe even longer until the Chiefs were eliminated from the playoffs. They couldn’t take waiting, so they made their move.

They weren’t going to interview Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott because of a rumored run-in he had with Eagles defector GM Howie Roseman.
                    It’s rumored that they disagreed about a player and the disagreement got personal. I wanted to see McDermott come this way because the Eagles currently have much better personnel on the defensive side of the ball than they have on the offensive side of the ball.
                    Still the fact that Pederson might not have been the Birds overwhelming first choice doesn’t mean anything. Hiring him might wind up being the best move Lurie has ever made as the Eagles owner. We will have to wait and see.
                    Pederson might be the best coach being hired this year. It’s like the draft. You don’t know which players can play based on when they are drafted. We all have to wait and see.

Check out the playoffs this weekend.
                    Green Bay at Arizona – Nobody wanted Bruce Arians a few years ago, who was thought to have seen his best days. Chip Kelly was the sexy pick, in fact the Eagles canceled an interview of Arians. The Packers Mike McCarthy was under the radar as a offensive coordinator for the Saints and the Niners before taking over in Green Bay.

Seattle at Carolina – Ron Rivera wasn’t a celebrated pick when the Panthers signed him. He had been defensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers and previously the Eagles linebackers coach.
                    Pete Carroll left USC in much the same way that Chip Kelly left Oregon. There was rumors of NCAA sanctions. Carroll had also failed in his previous coaching jobs in New England and with the Jets. Seattle is glad they gave him a shot.

Kansas City at New England – Was anybody jumping for joy when the Patriots hired up Bill Belichick, who was run out of Cleveland? Eagles fans weren’t crying when Andy Reid was signed by the Chiefs. Now we all might appreciate him more from a distance.

Pittsburgh at Denver – Mike Tomlin was considered too young and unaccomplished when the Steelers signed him. Gary Kubiak was fired in mid season by the Houston Texans, but the Broncos gave him a shot.
                    Some of these coaches were second, third and fourth choices, but so what.

You can’t know how good a coach is going to be simply by how much fan fair was around his signing.
                    Well I see that the Ferret is just loved by everyone. It was Chip who was the problem LOL. Well it's your show again Howie. You're lucky Lurie has blinders on.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

E60, did you find the Kokanee yet ? If you do so, have a 12 pack for me. Wish I was North of the border.
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                        Yes, I assume that Coughlin might have a better shot at winning a Super Bowl because he has actually won a Super Bowl. What can one assume from someone who has never coached a game in the NFL?
                        If you look at history... no coach has won a Super Bowl with two different teams. There are a couple who have gotten back to the game with a second team, but nobody has won it.

So in a way, if you hire a Super Bowl coach, you are hoping for him to be the first coach ever to buck that trend. I'm sure it will happen someday, but thus far, coaches who get everything in place in one organization seem to have a tough time getting things the same way somewhere else.

(Going back far enough, Weeb Ewbank did win a pre-Super Bowl NFL championship with one team, then was also the coach for the Joe Namath Jets team which won the Super Bowl. But that's it, in NFL history. All multi-super bowl coaches, and all other multi-NFL championship coaches, have all been with the same team.)

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                          You make a good point. Reid had the benefit of owning the #2 pick in the draft to go and pick his franchise QB. Pederson is not going to have that advantage, in fact he is not even going to have a 2nd rounder.
                          But arguably he has a better stocked over all team.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                            If you look at history... no coach has won a Super Bowl with two different teams. There are a couple who have gotten back to the game with a second team, but nobody has won it.

So in a way, if you hire a Super Bowl coach, you are hoping for him to be the first coach ever to buck that trend. I'm sure it will happen someday, but thus far, coaches who get everything in place in one organization seem to have a tough time getting things the same way somewhere else.

(Going back far enough, Weeb Ewbank did win a pre-Super Bowl NFL championship with one team, then was also the coach for the Joe Namath Jets team which won the Super Bowl. But that's it, in NFL history. All multi-super bowl coaches, and all other multi-NFL championship coaches, have all been with the same team.)
                            There have only been about six Super Bowl winning coaches who went on to coach other teams (Lombardi, Stram, Parcells, Holmgren, Shanahan, and Seifert), BUT there is one who went on to win the SB after appearing in the game with another team (Vermeil). So, it could happen.

In any case, it is a small sample size and is not predictive. Actually, nothing is predictive. Hiring a coach is just a matter of preference. My point would be that if you do hire a prior winning coach, you can't expect him to just take orders from the FO. A prior winning coach would probably want some control over personnel decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                              E60, did you find the Kokanee yet ? If you do so, have a 12 pack for me. Wish I was North of the border.
                              According to the bartender it's a western Ontario beer and they don't carry it. They carried every other friekin beer in the world though. WTF!!!!
                              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

the smoothest beer I ever drank, I can get it imported to Wellsboro, Pa. at Steve's Distributor, he claims he can get any beer. Has 400 + beers in stock. I asked him about Kokanee and he said $90 a case. My buddy just came back from Newfoundland and brought a 12 pack back for his kid. He came across the border at Maine, maybe you can get some at the duty free.
                                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                                X