X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy Lawler on how he thinks the Eagles go

I'm not a TJ Watt fan.

What’s Going on at 14?

Posted: April 15th, 2017 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 0 Comments

The draft is getting closer, but we still don’t have a great feel for what the Eagles are going to do with pick 14.

Most people would love to give the Eagles a CB. But who will be there and who is worth it? I have Marshawn Lattimore as my top rated CB. I think he’ll go in the Top 10. His teammate Gareon Conley is a player the Eagles would have serious interest in, but there is now a question of whether he will make it to pick 14. His ball skills plus his ability to play the slot or outside make him a valuable target.

The next couple of corners for me are Tre’Davious White and Kevin King. Are they worth pick 14? Maybe. The argument for White is that he excelled against SEC competition, which is usually the best of the best. He can play in the slot or outside. He isn’t a great athlete, but is a natural cover corner. He was the best CB at the Senior Bowl. King is taller, faster and quicker. He is a better hitter and tackler. King was versatile at UW, but needs to play outside in the NFL.

You can argue each of them is worth the pick, but it isn’t a slam dunk.

The Eagles have shown a lot of interest in pass rushers. They could go for Tennessee star Derek Barnett. It isn’t a lock he’ll be on the board, but if he is, Barnett would make a lot of sense for the Eagles. He’s productive, tough, and smart. He was at his best against the best competition. Barnett isn’t a special athlete, but his game tape is outstanding.

The only other DEs who could be in the mix at 14 are Takk McKinley from UCLA and T.J. Watt from Wisconsin. Pick 14 feels early for them,. but you never know which players a team will fall in love with. Watt is taller and more athletic. He played 3-4 OLB at Wisconsin. McKinley has longer arms and did some great things as a DE for UCLA.

Alabama LB Reuben Foster came to Philly for a visit. I just can’t see the Eagles taking him. Good player, but his shoulder stinger issues are a concern for a player that is such a big hitter. There are also some reports that he hasn’t come off well when meeting with teams. You only take a 4-3 LB in the Top 15 when it is a slam dunk pick, like Patrick Willis or Luke Kuechly.

Do the Eagles have to go defense?

Paul Domowitch ‎@pdomo

Daniel Jeremiah on whether Eags should go O or D in Rd. 1: "When you have a young QB, you always err on the side of giving him more help.''

What about a RB? Leonard Fournette will almost certainly be gone. Dalvin Cook seems to think the Eagles like him.

Carlin & Reese‏
    @CarlinReeseWIP

Dalvin Cook on his Eagles visit: "Coach Duce (Staley), we got to spend a lot of time together, see the city a little bit..."

Brendan Walker ‎@BWalkerNFL

FSU RB Dalvin Cook and #Eagles have shown "heavy mutual interest" in each other.#FlyEaglesFly

The Eagles might just like Cook. But I feel pretty confident in saying he won’t be the pick at 14. There are just too many issues with him. It is more likely that the Eagles are trying to figure out if he is worth moving back in the 1st round for or if they would try to move up in the 2nd to get him. Based on all the chatter, it sounds like Cook might be sliding to the 2nd round.

Watch his game tape and you see a special RB. But there are character concerns. Shoulder concerns. Fumbling concerns. Workout concerns. That’s a lot of baggage for a RB.

Christian McCaffrey is the only other RB who could go that high. There is speculation now that he’ll go in the Top 10. He is the kind of player I could see Doug Pederson, Joe Douglas and Howie Roseman loving. McCaffrey was a great college player. Great athlete. High character. Very versatile. The Eagles haven’t shown any public interest in him. Are they hiding something? Are they focused on other players? I wouldn’t be shocked if the team took McCaffrey. That’s not ideal for me, but if you have the right plan on how to use him, it could make some sense.

The Eagles could still add a WR. Corey Davis and Mike Williams are both strong prospects. You could make a good case for each of them at pick 14. I prefer Davis of the two. John Ross, the explosive speedster from Washington, is very interesting, but his injury history is a concern.

There is an outside chance the Eagles could go for an OL, but this isn’t a strong group so I don’t think the value will be there.

If I had to list the most likely picks:

1 – CB Gareon Conley
    2 – DE Derek Barnett
    3 – WR Corey Davis
    4 – DE Takk McKinley
    5 – CB Tre’Davious White

We’ll see if that list changes in the next couple of weeks.

_
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"
Working...
X