• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelton Gibson-Another Treggs?

Eagles Rookie Scouting Report: Getting to know Shelton Gibson

Eagles rookie scouting report.

by Brandon Lee Gowton and WVUNite May 6, 2017, 8:30am EDT

The Philadelphia Eagles drafted Shelton Gibson in the fifth round of the 2017 NFL Draft. In order to learn more about the new Eagles wide receiver, I reached out to SB Nation's West Virginia blog: The Smoking Musket. Mountaineers writer Jake Lantz was kind enough to answer my questions about Gibson.

1) Can you sum up what his college career was like?

Disappointing. Shelton was a 4-star burner out of Ohio and given his speed [4.3s] you would have expected him to break 1,000 yards. He never did though not all of that is his fault. He was playing with Skyler Howard. I don't want to diss Howard because by all accounts he was a hard worker, tough as nails kid who laid it all out every time he played. But Skyler was inaccurate on the intermediate throws and often threw the ball 50 yards high to get it 40 yards downfield. Shelton had every defensive back beat but often had to wait for the ball to come down which limited his yardage. Had Gibson waited a year to come out, there’s no doubt that he would have put up better numbers with Will Grier throwing the ball to him.

2) What are his strengths?

Speed and ball awareness. When the deep ball is thrown, Shelton is going to get the ball. He outran every defensive back in the country when he played. Teams often shaded a safety to him and he still got by them. He is great at tracking the ball over his shoulder. He shows good body awareness to get his feet down while making tough sideline catches.

3) What are his weaknesses?

He struggles with catching the ball against his body on short throws. He dropped more than he should have on curls and comeback routes.

4) Are you surprised where he was drafted? Higher or lower than expected? Just right?

I thought with his speed he might have gone in the 4th round. He ran poorly at the combine and that probably hurt him more than his pro day helped him. I know every year there are guys who are burners but I thought that Gibson displayed enough football skills that he would go higher than the 5th round.

5) How do you see his NFL career playing out?

4th receiver. I think he will be a special teams player for a year or two and see the field sparingly. He will probably break 100 yards once or twice on 2 or 3 catches. I would not expect him to see a second contract.

6) Anything to know about him off the field?

Gibson didn't have any off the field issues. He was never suspended at WVU and there were no reports that he was a problem to the coaches or players.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Not a very glowing scouting report, kind of summarized by this statement...

"I would not expect him to see a second contract."

I thought Gowton could have been a little more positive on #6) 'Off the field Issues"

Gowton wrote...

"Gibson didn't have any off the field issues. He was never suspended at WVU and there were no reports that he was a problem to the coaches or players."

I believe Gowton could have helped the kid a little more here by pointing out positive things like...

"He has not yet been accused of associating with Russian spies"

and maybe...

"Most of the football people we talked to think Sheldon has probably not murdered anyone who didn't have it coming".

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
      Not a very glowing scouting report, kind of summarized by this statement...

"I would not expect him to see a second contract."

I thought Gowton could have been a little more positive on #6) 'Off the field Issues"

Gowton wrote...

"Gibson didn't have any off the field issues. He was never suspended at WVU and there were no reports that he was a problem to the coaches or players."

I believe Gowton could have helped the kid a little more here by pointing out positive things like...

"He has not yet been accused of associating with Russian spies"

and maybe...

"Most of the football people we talked to think Sheldon has probably not murdered anyone who didn't have it coming".

Damn you are funny tino!!!

Comment

How good could a WR look with a QB throwing up punts to make a 50 yd reception ?
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
          How good could a WR look with a QB throwing up punts to make a 50 yd reception ?
          We'll find out I guess. I didn't like the part about him dropping curls and stuff though. We've had plenty of that the last few years. In fact I think that's been true the last 20 years if you really think about it.

Comment

Torrey Smith is a one year rental and this guy's going to be Wentz's field stretching home run hitter, anything else we get out of him over the next 3 or 4yrs. will be a bonus for a 5th rd'r.
            Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zepster View Post
              Torrey Smith is a one year rental and this guy's going to be Wentz's field stretching home run hitter, anything else we get out of him over the next 3 or 4yrs. will be a bonus for a 5th rd'r.
              Smith is signed for three years -- it's just that they are not guaranteed, meaning the Eagles can drop him without penalty after this year. But if he plays well, he could easily be here longer.

Comment

I like the pick, because he's got serious speed, but he's a project. And, I still think Torrey Smith is going to surprise a lot of people around here.

But, we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                  I like the pick, because he's got serious speed, but he's a project. And, I still think Torrey Smith is going to surprise a lot of people around here.

But, we'll see.
                  I'm thinking that he makes the PS and you hope somebody doesn't pluck him from it.

Comment

From the piece...

" 2) What are his strengths?

Speed and ball awareness. When the deep ball is thrown, Shelton is going to get the ball. He outran every defensive back in the country when he played. Teams often shaded a safety to him and he still got by them. He is great at tracking the ball over his shoulder. He shows good body awareness to get his feet down while making tough sideline catches.

He struggles with catching the ball against his body on short throws. He dropped more than he should have on curls and comeback routes. "

Seriously, if both these observations are close to accurate, IMO it was a worthwhile pick. If Gibson can actually pose a legitimate deep threat I don't really care if he has trouble with short throws. The crew we had last year had difficulty getting open anywhere and much too often dropped the ball when they were open.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                      From the piece...

" 2) What are his strengths?

He struggles with catching the ball against his body on short throws. He dropped more than he should have on curls and comeback routes. "

Seriously, if both these observations are close to accurate, IMO it was a worthwhile pick. If Gibson can actually pose a legitimate deep threat I don't really care if he has trouble with short throws. The crew we had last year had difficulty getting open anywhere and much too often dropped the ball when they were open.
                      The problem is how many do you keep? Most teams keep 5, Chip carried six because "we ask a lot of them". He failed to ask them to actually catch the ball though. They can't afford to cut Agholor and you add Jeffrey, Smith, Matthews and Hollins you have your five. Unless somebody gets hurt you have to decide who to keep where. With all three of your starters on one year deals and Agholor costing over $3 million to cut who knows? I would think that you would have to keep 6 if you keep Agholor because he'll be gone next year barring a miracle. Andy did keep 7 one year because he knew that he could get something for Gibson his rookie year. I hope that we have extremely tough choices everywhere!

Comment

Let's hope that being taken so late scares the kid into getting serious about showing what he can do and getting that second contract. A rookie deal for a fifth rounder isn't going to let him retire so if he wants to see big money he is going to have to earn another contract. Hopefully Grohn is able to work with this kid and correct some of the drops.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                          Let's hope that being taken so late scares the kid into getting serious about showing what he can do and getting that second contract. A rookie deal for a fifth rounder isn't going to let him retire so if he wants to see big money he is going to have to earn another contract. Hopefully Grohn is able to work with this kid and correct some of the drops.
                          You're right except he's got to get the first contract before he can get a second Juk.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                            The problem is how many do you keep? Most teams keep 5, Chip carried six because "we ask a lot of them". He failed to ask them to actually catch the ball though. They can't afford to cut Agholor and you add Jeffrey, Smith, Matthews and Hollins you have your five. Unless somebody gets hurt you have to decide who to keep where. With all three of your starters on one year deals and Agholor costing over $3 million to cut who knows? I would think that you would have to keep 6 if you keep Agholor because he'll be gone next year barring a miracle. Andy did keep 7 one year because he knew that he could get something for Gibson his rookie year. I hope that we have extremely tough choices everywhere!

Ahh yes...Nelson Agholor. The gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              You're right except he's got to get the first contract before he can get a second Juk.
                              Exactly. That's why the fifth round pick should motivate him to prove himself.
                              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                              X