Is this some kind of lousy joke???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this some kind of lousy joke???

Jewish Hall of Fame honoring Joe Banner; Eagles should do same | Bob Brookover
    Updated: May 21, 2017 — 5:17 PM EDT

Picture this on a split movie screen: Two guys are talking on the telephone trying to pull off an NFL trade. One has two Super Bowl rings, George Patton's personality and the title of head coach and general manager for the New York Jets. The other is Joe Banner.

Guess who's dominating the conversation?

"I had never met Bill Parcells and this is before we had Andy Reid," Banner said during a recent telephone interview from his home in South Florida. "We obviously had not been overly successful and we weren't real respected. You can tell when somebody is talking to you and they don't think you know what you're talking about. They think they can kind of dominate you. He was very dismissive - kind of like 'I'll tell you what we're going to do.' "

Banner, then the Eagles president, listened. He liked the terms of the deal and knew he was going to make it. He did not like Parcells' condescending tone.

"At one point, he says to me, 'I'm done talking and this is the deal if you want to make it,' " Banner said.

Parcells told Banner that he was going to dinner at 8 p.m. and if he had not heard from him by then, the trade was off the table.

"I waited until 7:59 to call him back," Banner said. "I knew I was going to make the deal as soon as we were done talking, but I wanted him to know I wasn't afraid of negotiating with him."

The Eagles landed defensive end Hugh Douglas for second- and fifth-round draft picks. It ended up being a lopsided deal in their favor and it was neither the first nor the last successful transaction negotiated by Banner during his 19 years as owner Jeffrey Lurie's most valued executive.

The topic comes up now because Banner is being inducted into the Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame on Tuesday. The organization's 20th class of inductees will also include former Inquirer baseball writer Jayson Stark.

Given the scope of his work during his time with the Eagles, Banner is certainly deserving of the honor. He is also deserving of a spot in the Eagles Hall of Fame.

"It's always nice when somebody thinks you've done something well and this is much appreciated," Banner said. "My faith is important to me more as a strong philosophical guide to life than as someone who constantly attends temple or preaches religion. I am thrilled that my wife and kids are going to get to be a part of this."

It has been almost five years since Banner left the Eagles, and the team has made the playoffs just once since his departure. He had a brief stint as the chief executive officer with the Cleveland Browns that ended in early 2014 and since then he has done some consulting work for NFL teams and part-time work with ESPN, a gig, like so many other ESPN jobs, that has recently expired. He said he has no desire to return to the NFL in a major role because he has enjoyed his time with family and friends too much since leaving the Browns.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Sorry that we disagree on this one 60. The best this team has ever been for any extended time was when he and AR were running the show.

I appreciate that.

Comment

He was also very involved in getting the Novacare center and Lincoln financial field built.

Banner and AR share one thing that clouds their legacy, and creates a negative perception. They were good, but not good enough to win a title. Every season of their tenure ultimately ended in a loss. It's unfortunate, but that's what people remember.

Joe Banner and Andy Reid. Good, but not quite good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
        He was also very involved in getting the Novacare center and Lincoln financial field built.

Banner and AR share one thing that clouds their legacy, and creates a negative perception. They were good, but not good enough to win a title. Every season of their tenure ultimately ended in a loss. It's unfortunate, but that's what people remember.

Joe Banner and Andy Reid. Good, but not quite good enough.
        While I agree for the most part... IMM I still have to put that into the context of what came before and since. And I find that they were the best in my lifetime ....... In Philly.

Comment

Andy Reid is one of the very best coaches in the NFL and I loved the guy. Joe Banner was a cheap asshole that cost us a couple of SBs. If Reid hadn't drafted McNabb nobody would have ever heard of The Weasel. Sending Dawkins off was another beauty that he pulled. He left Philly and screwed up Cleveland too and got fired and followed that up getting fired by Atlanta. HOF my ass. The only reason that he stuck around as long as he did was that he was Luri's best friend and even he had enough of him.

Comment

His job, his mandate , one of his highest duties was to be cheap. He was doing what he was told to do.

Again he was a big part of holding that team together that produced probably the best 10 years in Eagles football history.

Sorry you can't get past a couple of moves he made that you personally didn't like.

Oh and btw we really gonna judge him on Cleveland? Seriously? The worst franchise in the NFL for the last like 30 + years? Really?

Comment

Personally I think the whole concept of Hall of Fames is a bit silly at this point especially a Philadelphia Jewish Sports HoF. Don't get your panties in a wad over what this could mean and focus on what I do mean: There seem to be a relaxation of standards to HoF's recently especially the niche ones. The debate over long tenured but otherwise unremarkable baseball players lowers the prestige of the inclusion. The Rock N Roll hall of fame seems to let in anyone who achieved any sort of fame no matter how fleeting or tiny. A Philly Jewish sports hall of fame almost seems like a HoF just to have one. It seems just as useful as a Catholic one, a black one or a red-headed HoF (unless of course you are talking about some of the red-heads in the cheerleader thread).

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                His job, his mandate , one of his highest duties was to be cheap. He was doing what he was told to do.

Again he was a big part of holding that team together that produced probably the best 10 years in Eagles football history.

Sorry you can't get past a couple of moves he made that you personally didn't like.

Oh and btw we really gonna judge him on Cleveland? Seriously? The worst franchise in the NFL for the last like 30 + years? Really?
                They had a plan, based on managing the salary cap. They thought that managing the salary cap was far more important than it ended up being. The cap rose, and teams that mismanaged it ended up getting bailed out. In retrospect, they could have spent more money than they did, and not get dinged. And, the could have kept certain players, Trotter comes to mind, that they decided to let go due to cap considerations, and it wouldn't have had the impact they feared. Cap management was the cornerstone of Banner's gameplan for handling the Eagles roster, and he was simply wrong on a fundamental level. Oh well.

Comment

It was only wrong because the league bailed out the others--- hell, many a team tried to copy Banners plan for the cap -- until the league made it a non issue.

For what he was supposed to do, hired to do, was paid to do -- he was very good at it

Comment

It was only wrong because the league bailed out the others--- hell, many a team tried to copy Banners plan for the cap -- until the league made it a non issue.

For what he was supposed to do, hired to do, was paid to do -- he was very good at it
                    I'm officially out of this thread because nothing in my world get's me more upset than that f......... ass.........!

Comment

Agreed. But, it led to failure, and that's what people remember.

Comment

He's a douche but if he had been on the Los Angeles football committee, the stadium would be on schedule.

Comment

yea I can't beat the guy up for doing his job and he actually did it pretty well but I have to agree that these HoF things are nonsense. There is a HoF either get in there or give Joe (and all the others) participation ribbons.
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                            Agreed. But, it led to failure, and that's what people remember.
                            Yeah, but it was still the best ten years we have had in football in Philly.

But we basically agree.

Comment

Yeah, but it was still the best ten years we have had in football in Philly.

But we basically agree.
                              Donovan McNabb

Comment

Working...
                              X