• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QBs have their teams by the balls

Stafford could halt contract talks after preseason

Aug
    8/22/2017 11:33:55 AM

The Detroit Lions are comfortable continuing contract negotiations with quarterback Matthew Stafford during the season, but Stafford said he's not sure if he'll be open to doing the same, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports.

"I haven’t made any determination on that," Stafford said.

Stafford and the Lions have been working towards a new contract since early March, but negotiations have only ramped up in the last month.

Entering his ninth NFL season, Stafford is entering the final year of a contract extension he signed in 2013 and that pays him $16.5 million this fall.

Stafford said earlier this summer he's "pretty tired of talking about" his contract, which has led some to believe he and his agents will halt negotiations in season.

"No matter what happens, I’ve got a year left on my contract here so I’m going to be here this year playing football for this team," Stafford said at the start of camp. "So it’s on my shoulders to be as good as I possibly can to help our team win."

He reiterated Monday he has no timetable for getting a deal done.

"I told you guys the last time we talked about this, I had no expectations going into it," Stafford said. "I’m doing myself and our team a disservice if that’s what I’m worried about. I truly am letting the guys upstairs here and my agent hash it all out and I’m just trying to be as good a football player as I can be and help our team."

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$

Handles the ball on about 99.8% of O plays--- yup he gets the bucks!

Comment

He should have a hazard pay escalator for having to play for that shitbox of an organization.

Comment

Working...
      X