It doesn't look good for Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It doesn't look good for Jones

Sidney Jones injury update: Eagles rookie cornerback reportedly “not close” to practicing

For the first time all season, Eagles rookie cornerback Sidney Jones is eligible to practice this week.

It doesn’t sound like that’ll be happening, though. Les Bowen of the Daily News has an update on Philadelphia’s second-round pick from the 2017 NFL Draft.

Coach Doug Pederson has stressed that the Eagles won’t rush Jones’ recovery, and a source close to the situation said last week that Jones remained “not close” to practicing. The Eagles have six weeks from this week to activate him from NFI. Once he is activated, they have three weeks to add him to the roster. If that time passes without activation, he reverts to injured reserve and his season is over. The league source said Sunday that Jones probably is several weeks away from getting back the “explosion” a cornerback needs. The source said he thinks December might be a more reasonable time to expect Jones to be fully functional, which would push the NFI window to its maximum and would raise the possibility that Jones won’t play at all this year. Especially if the defense continues to function as well as it has during the team’s 5-1 start.
    Jones is obviously still recovering from an Achilles injury that occurred earlier this year in February. There’s never been a clear timeline for his return. This latest report seems to question if Jones will play at all in 2017.

The very latest the Eagles can have Jones start practicing is the last week of November. From there, they’ll need to activate him to the 53-man roster within 21 days of his first practice or else he’ll be out for the season. This means the latest he could return is around the week of December 18.

Adding a healthy Jones to the Eagles’ secondary is a nice thought. It remains to be seen just how much he can realistically contribute as a rookie, though. It’s one thing to be in the meeting rooms and travel with the team like Jones has done. It’s another thing to actually be taking the physical repetitions in practice.

It must be noted there is an advantage for the Eagles by having Jones sit out the entire season. Instead of becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of his rookie contract, Jones will instead be restricted. This means the Eagles will have more team control over his contract.

There hasn’t been a lot of clarity on the Jones situation. The rookie corner has declined to talk to reporters and none of the Eagles’ coaches or executives have offered any kind of timeline for return.

The best we have is this update from the Daily News. And according to them, it sounds like Jones isn’t super close. More patience required.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Do not take ANY chances with this young man's long term career for the
    sake of the marginal contribution he could likely make this year.

Comment

I was hoping this story was about jerry Jones.

Comment

No need to push him. IR him when you have to.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

To be honest I expected absolutely zero from him when he was drafted
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            To be honest I expected absolutely zero from him when he was drafted
            My thoughts too. This was a move for 2018. Sure I got my hopes up a couple weeks ago but this was a long term play. Get Darby back, let the Dline protect the secondary through pressure and see what happens.

Comment

Interesting enough if they start the clock on Jones who do they cut in the secondary? Best way of bringing him back is next year. At best he would be the 4th corner-back right now. Not saying the guys in front of him are long term better but they all are in game shape. Mills & Douglas will continue to play, Robinson has been the best FA corner we have signed since Samuel. Darby should be close to coming back. No reason to rush this kid. He won't be a clear upgrade this year anyway. Lets roll with a healthy Darby, Mill and Robinson and let Douglas continue to get some playing time and experience.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

As most have said, sit him for the year. I want him back at his 100% pre-injury level and with the way our secondary is pmaying right now there is no need to make a change. Sittng him is anwin-win. Current starters get more experience and are that much better for depth when needed next year and Jones gets to tqke the time he needs to be fully healed.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

As things stand right now, they have the luxury of letting him sit for the season, which is a really good thing. I really didn't expect the Eagles to be contending for home field in the playoffs, which would create pressure to get him back on the field, but the guys have been playing well, even without Darby.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                    As things stand right now, they have the luxury of letting him sit for the season, which is a really good thing. I really didn't expect the Eagles to be contending for home field in the playoffs, which would create pressure to get him back on the field, but the guys have been playing well, even without Darby.
                    I don't think there's any pressure to bring him in. Seriously, who the heck is he anyway? People talk like he's Deon Sanders or something. The only way that he could help us this year is if the whole secondary was totally wiped out across the entire NFL and he could limp in. He'll get 3 weeks of real practice and then go back on the IR list and we'll see him next spring.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Taz... you are the expert on this. Does he get a year of service towards his rookie 4 if he is PUP then IR All year??
                      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                        Taz... you are the expert on this. Does he get a year of service towards his rookie 4 if he is PUP then IR All year??
                        It counts as a year on his contract either way. He'll have three years left on his rookie deal after this season. The big question though is whether that counts as an accrued season, as players are unrestricted free agents after four accrued seasons, but restricted free agents earlier.

If he was on the PUP or IR, that counts as games toward an accrued season. However Jones is on the NFI (Non-Football Injury) list, not PUP, and the main distinction between the two is the accrued season question (they are otherwise about identical). If he's on the 53-man roster (or IR) 6 or more games after coming off the NFI list, it counts as an accrued season, but any less, than it does not, I'm pretty sure. So I'm guessing the Eagles have a vested interest in keeping him on NFI through at least week nine, then letting him practice for three weeks to get in shape, then decide whether to activate him. That way, he's a restricted free agent after three more seasons, not unrestricted -- will still get paid well, but shouldn't max out the market.

Might be good for him to get live practice during the season, maybe even getting into the games some. But if they bring him off NFI before week 9, then this will be the first accrued season, and he'll be an unrestricted free agent after three more years. Eagles can start practicing him any time in the next six weeks -- so he could stay on the NFI through week 12, actually (game 11 due to the bye), then have his three weeks of practice. He could be put on the active roster as late as game 15 without going to IR. Feels like this type of report may be to temper any excitement for the immediate future. They should not take any risk of re-injury.

Comment

Thanks Oaks. I thought it would not count. Yeah you gotta pay him of course but ends there.

Comment

Working...
                          X