Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dillard vs Peters -what to do?

It’ll be pretty disappointing if Andre Dillard isn’t the starter in 2020

Is the 2019 first-round pick really going to spend another year on the bench?

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Feb 26, 2020, 10:53am EST

One of the biggest takeaways from the Eagles’ media availability at the 2020 NFL Combine is that the door on Jason Peters returning to Philadelphia this season isn’t totally closed shut.

When asked if he’d like Peters back, Doug Pederson responded with a “Heck yeah.” Howie Roseman talked about how Peters “played at a really high level last year.”

Perhaps the Eagles’ head coach and general manager were merely paying lip service to a legendary player. But I don’t know about that.

It’s really not impossible to think the Eagles could have a hard time moving on from Peters.

For starters, just look at the organization’s reluctance to part ways with Darren Sproles in the past. That comparison is especially relevant when you consider Pederson literally said “I think I said the same thing about Darren Sproles [last year at this time]” when asked about wanting Peters back in 2020. Sure enough, the Eagles re-signed Sproles ahead of the 2019 season.

One must also consider Peters has previously wielded a lot of influence at the NovaCare Complex. I mean, he literally referred to Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie as his “best friend.” That’s not a normal thing for a player to say.

Of course, Peters is far from a normal player. He’s a future Hall of Famer. He’s an Eagles legend.

But the Eagles potentially bringing Peters back in 2020 wouldn’t only be an endorsement of the 38-year-old. That action would also serve as an indictment of the team’s 2019 first-round pick, Andre Dillard.

It’s not unthinkable that the Eagles could view Peters as a better player than Dillard in 2020. Consider what Pro Football Focus recently wrote about the former:

Jason Peters’ injury history and age is only going to garner him a one-year deal this March, but he was still the sixth highest-graded tackle in the NFL this past season. In pass-protection, specifically, Peters was fourth in PFF grade.

And now look at these assessments of Dillard from PFF ...

Dillard was limited to reserve work when Jason Peters or Lane Johnson went down because of injury, and that was a good thing for Carson Wentz based on how he graded. He allowed a pressure rate of 14.7%, higher than any other tackle in the NFL.

... and from Football Outsiders:

Dillard blew 7.8% of his combined pass and run blocks, the worst rate among offensive linemen with 300 or more snaps.

That’s not so encouraging.

But it’s only fair to note that Dillard’s worst three games came when 1) he had to fill in on short notice for an injured Peters against the Minnesota Vikings, 2) he made his first NFL start on the road against the Dallas Cowboys, and 3) he started at right tackle against the Seattle Seahawks. Dillard graded out more favorably in his second and third starts at left tackle. Dillard also finished the 2019 preseason as PFF’s fourth highest graded tackle, for whatever that’s worth.

Even assuming Dillard is a downgrade from Peters, the equation shouldn’t be that simple for the Eagles. Roseman has admitted the team needs to get younger. He’s also talked about how his loyalty to the team’s veterans has been a “weakness.” Most recently, Roseman said the Eagles aren’t trying to go all in on the 2020 season as much as they’re trying to consider a three-year window from 2020 through 2022. If that’s truly the case, it doesn’t make sense for the Eagles to block Dillard from playing while paying a good chunk of cap space to bring Peters back.

It’ll be truly concerning if Dillard isn’t ready to be the Eagles’ starting left tackle in 2020. Otherwise, the Eagles will have traded up for a player in the first round who isn’t even at least a true swing tackle by Year 2 since he can’t play on the right side. And it’s not like Dillard’s this extremely raw and undeveloped prospect; he turns 25 in early October. By contrast, the projected first round tackles in this year’s NFL Draft are currently 20 years old.

There’s also no real precedent in recent history for a first round offensive tackle to sit on the bench for two entire seasons. Take a look for yourself:

Jonah Williams - 0 starts (ACL tear, missed rookie season)
    Andre Dillard - 4 starts
    Tytus Howard - 8 starts
    Kaleb McGary - 16 starts

Mike McGlinchey - 16, 12
    Kolton Miller - 16, 16
    Isaiah Wynn - 0 starts (torn Achilles), 8 starts (injuries)

Garett Bolles - 16, 16
    Ryan Ramczyk - 16, 15

Ronnie Staley - 12, 15
    Jack Conlin - 16, 16
    Laremy Tunsil - 14, 15
    Taylor Decker - 16, 8
    Germain Ifedi - 13, 15

Ereck Flowers - 15, 16
    Andrus Peat - 8, 15
    Cedric Ogbuehi - 0 (injured), 12
    DJ Humphries - 13, 5

Greg Robinson - 12, 16
    Jake Matthews - 15, 16
    Taylor Lewan - 6, 15
    Ja’Wuan James - 16, 7

Eric Fisher - 13, 16
    Luke Joeckel - 5, 16
    Lane Johnson - 16, 12
    DJ Fluker - 15, 16
    Justin Pugh - 16, 14

Matt Kalil - 16, 16
    Riley Reiff - 8, 16

Tyron Smith - 16, 15
    Nate Solder - 13, 16
    Anthony Castonzo - 12, 16
    Gabe Carimi - 2, 14
    Derek Sherrod - 0, 0 (suffered a broken leg as a rookie and never recovered)

Trent Williams - 13, 10
    Russell Okung - 10, 12
    Anthony Davis - 16, 16
    Bryan Bulaga - 12, 12

Jason Smith - 5, 15
    Andre Smith - 1, 4 (contract holdout and then injured as a rookie, injured again in second year)
    Eugene Monroe - 13, 15
    Michael Oher - 16, 16

If Peters is re-signed, Dillard will join Sherrod and Andre Smith as the most recent first round tackles who didn’t serve as a full-time starter in at least one of their first two seasons. The very notable difference is that injury wouldn’t be the factor preventing Dillard from playing.

Oh, and if you’re thinking the Eagles will re-sign Peters as backup for Dillard or to play left guard, you’re only kidding yourself. Peters thinks very highly of himself. It’s just not happening.

One can only hope that all of this consternation about Peters returning is much ado about nothing. Maybe that’ll be the case.

Even so, it would’ve been preferable to see Roseman and Pederson be much more effusive about Dillard. He needs to be the answer at left tackle for this team in 2020 and moving forward. It’s time to finally turn the page on Peters.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

The other issue with Peters coming back is it limits the backups that they can carry on game day and it hinders development of someone coming up.
    And I don't know the number of penalties he had but I heard his name a number of times
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I think Peters comes back if he takes a massive cut, otherwise Dillard starts
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I think that the can finally hit the wall at the end of Howie's Highway. Cutting JP will be a $26 million cap hit!

Comment

I looked around and it says Peters is an UFA for 2020. Not sure where you are getting the $26 million cap hit number from.

https://overthecap.com/player/jason-peters/756/
          https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/phil...-20200106.html
          https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadel...n-peters-1179/

Comment

I'm on board with letting JP go and going with Dillard

Comment

I understand that the FA wishes to avoid a situation like what happened with Dawkins unfolding but I hope that the pedulum doesn't swing too far in the other direction, where they retain Peters to avoid a bitter split. That said, I would hope that Peters recognizes that his successor needs the starter reps, therefore making Peters the backup. His salary demands should reflect that.

I don't believe that it will unfold like this though. He'll likely price himself out of NovaCare.

Also, we recognize that some of what is said by coaches is written in Jell-O. Wobbling and shifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                I think that the can finally hit the wall at the end of Howie's Highway. Cutting JP will be a $26 million cap hit!
                I think you are talking about The cap hit for Jeffrey. That number may or may not be true. If there is a new players agreement it certainly won't be an accurate number.
                EDIT: I believe he is a FA
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Sorry guys, you are right about Peters being a FA this year. It's Jeffreys who has the huge hit if he gets cut. It goes down to $15million if he gets traded. Let's face it, he's an Eagle this year.

Comment

JP should have been gone several years ago. I'm on the record for that. So thanks for everything JP but it is time to GO
                    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                      JP should have been gone several years ago. I'm on the record for that. So thanks for everything JP but it is time to GO
                      Well, there's always the possibility that the Birds aren't thrilled with Dillard.

Comment

Maybe 60 but they have to throw him out there and give him a chance IMO. Even if Peters comes back and is okay I don't think he is at a pro bowl level anymore. We don't know about Dillard yet.
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Dillard may just need more time to grow into the role. Bringing Peters back MIGHT help in that regard. Of course, it would take starter's reps away. It would give Dillard time though. What I am considering is this: what if they bring Peters back, Dillard sits, the season plays out, and then Peters starts talking about coming back AGAIN? Does this possibility mean that the Eagles should go ahead and rip the band aid off now? Or could that mean re-upping Peters, sitting (or dealing) Dillard and grabbing depth in this draft/FA period?

Comment

Some of this may be Peters willingness to take a deal that protects the organization. I also wonder if we would be better off with Dillard and Big V vs Peters and Dillard. Yes, JP is superior to V, but V offers more flexability and may save another roster spot.

Comment

I really think one has to let emotions go by the wayside when signing players. Question is can they play, do you have a fill in ready to go. Some players just can't let go of the thing they have been doing their entire life. I don't know that Peters is in that category but I lean toward saying goodbye and giving Dillard the chance
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X