Bucky- Paternity claims......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucky- Paternity claims......

Did we know about this before or did I just forget about it....
    ///////////////////////////

Buckhalter appeal rejected

Nebraska Court orders Eagles RB to pay child support

Updated: Friday April 20, 2007 12:32PM

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- The state Supreme Court ordered the Philadelphia Eagles' Correll Buckhalter to pay $4,035 a month in child support for an autistic boy he is alleged to have fathered while a football player at Nebraska.

In a ruling filed Friday, the high court rejected a paternity test -- paid for by Buckhalter -- that excluded him as the father. Also rejected were Buckhalter's claims that he wasn't adequately notified of a hearing and that the state erred in calculating the support amount.

Buckhalter did not immediately respond to an interview request through the Eagles. Buckhalter attorney William Dittrick of Omaha and Lancaster County Deputy Attorney Barb Armstead did not immediately return phone messages left at their offices.

The state filed a complaint in June 2004 alleging that Buckhalter fathered the boy, now 7. Buckhalter didn't respond to the complaint or take a state-sanctioned paternity test, and a default judgment was entered against him in November 2005.

Buckhalter contended that the state ignored the result of his private genetic test.

But Armstead, in arguments to the high court March 7, said she couldn't accept the DNA test result produced by Buckhalter because it wasn't accompanied by identifying information proving Buckhalter was the person who provided the DNA sample.

The Supreme Court agreed, saying Buckhalter offered nothing to suggest that the result was reliable.

"The existence of Buckhalter's unverified test results does not create a meritorious defense that would require the district court to vacate the (district court) referee's findings," the court said in its ruling.

In upholding the default judgment, the high court said the county attorney's office had made multiple attempts to notify Buckhalter that the case was proceeding and that it was only after a default judgment was entered that he contacted the district court.

The high court also signed off on the state's method of calculating Buckhalter's monthly support payment.

The district court referee awarded the boy's mother, Jennifer L. Brown, monthly support in addition to $68,595 in back support. The referee calculated Buckhalter's monthly child-support payments based on his pretax salary of $1.075 million.

Buckhalter argued that the state wrongly used his gross income rather than his net income in figuring support. The Eagles provided the state with employment verification forms. Buckhalter said his tax returns should have been used instead.

The high court noted that Buckhalter was in the best position to provide more thorough evidence of his income yet chose not to participate.

"We believe the state used a reasonable method to obtain information about Buckhalter's income when he refused to participate in the proceedings or submit evidence in his own behalf," the court said.

At Buckhalter's income level, the difference between support payments based on gross and net incomes would have been minimal, the court said.

According to court documents, the boy has been diagnosed with autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and requires behavioral therapy and medication costing $300 a month. The mother stopped receiving Medicaid in anticipation of receiving support from Buckhalter.

Buckhalter played at Nebraska 1997-2000 and was a fourth-round draft pick in 2001. He has spent his entire pro career with the Eagles.

Someting funny here. If Bucky really ISN'T the father, why wouldn't there be a verifiable paternity test performed?
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

plus, a lot of screw ups from the attorney's side. $4k a month is a lot too.

Comment

Why won't the court order another test first? That would seem to be the most equitable means to settle the issue conclusively.

Comment

It's like it's Bucky's esponsibility to prove he's NOT the foather....which seems bass-ackwards.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Seems to me that these quotes sort of sum up the reasons for this mess........
            /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"The state filed a complaint in June 2004 alleging that Buckhalter fathered the boy, now 7. Buckhalter didn't respond to the complaint or take a state-sanctioned paternity test, and a default judgment was entered against him in November 2005. "

"In upholding the default judgment, the high court said the county attorney's office had made multiple attempts to notify Buckhalter that the case was proceeding and that it was only after a default judgment was entered that he contacted the district court."

"The high court noted that Buckhalter was in the best position to provide more thorough evidence of his income yet chose not to participate. "

"We believe the state used a reasonable method to obtain information about Buckhalter's income when he refused to participate in the proceedings or submit evidence in his own behalf," the court said. "

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
              It's like it's Bucky's esponsibility to prove he's NOT the foather....which seems bass-ackwards.
              Normaly it would be backwards-- but by allowing the judgement he created this whole mess himself.

Comment

But MD, don't you think the mother should have to prove her case to the state, as opposed to Bucky having to disprove it? So what if he didn't dignify her claim with a response before. An extreme analogy, I know...but if someone accuses me of rape, don't they need to prove it before I'm sentenced? Wouldn't I be brought in for DNA testing? How does this case proceed without any physical evidence?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just don't get it.

Comment

Paterinty and the family courts work a wee bit differently, as do many civil courts. The children, not the adults, are considered the victims and they are the ones that get protection and fairness.

The mother doesn't have to prove it cause she is only asking on behalf of the child-- courts care far less about proof at that stage until the childs well being is condisered. Maybe this is one time that the man isn't the father or maybe he is (but since he couldn't be bothered we are left to wonder) but it isn't the majority of the way these things go -- and in the meantime the child still has to eat and see doctors and be clothed.

Again all I'm saying is that if you read that piece it seems to me that Bucky could have easily resolved this thing a couple of years ago, but couldn't be bothered to give up a bit of his time -- then if it isn't/wasn't his child the real father could be found and tested and taken care of the child.

And that doesn't even get into the purely legal area of allowing the judgement and not appealing in/on time --- you lose some of your "rights" when you ignore the court system in this country. When a court enters a judgment on you -- many freedoms/rights you had before go away --- all becuase of his on laziness, IMO.

Comment

You nailed it MD. Bucky needed to consider the possible outcomes before choosing a course of action. If he files the papers and states his dispute of the claim the cost is minimal, but as Fresh put it, he does have to dignify the claim by responding. He needs to weigh that against the possible outcome that he'll lose in Court if he doesn't even let them know that he disputes the claim. Maybe it's hindsight being 20/20, but I have to think that telling someone that you dispute the claim is a pretty obvious first step that ANYONE would take if they really didn't think they were the Father. Sorry Bucky, but if I'm on this jury you have done too little, too late. Pay the lady.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I'll tell you what - if this kid really IS Buck's kid - then he's a real loser.

Has an autistic child and he's ignoring him? Wow.
                      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                      Playoff Appearances:
                      NFC Title Games:
                      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I guess I'm trying to hope here that that isn't the case, BP. I would lose a LOT of respect for him if either:

A. This is his kid.
                        B. He doesn't realy know if it's his kid or not, and hasn't cared enough to find out.

MD, I understand what you are saying. Taking from the POV of the kid's well being, I understand that he needs to be taken care of. I'm just not sure I agree that the courrts should be allowed to assign child suppot without "proof of ownership", shall we say? But BP is definitely right, if it's Bucky's, he's an absolute dog. I don't care if he DOESN'T lake or care about the mother, the youngster is what really matters here.

Comment

If true I hereby dub thee...
                          SUCK-halter!!!
                          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                            I guess I'm trying to hope here that that isn't the case, BP. I would lose a LOT of respect for him if either:

A. This is his kid.
                            B. He doesn't realy know if it's his kid or not, and hasn't cared enough to find out.

MD, I understand what you are saying. Taking from the POV of the kid's well being, I understand that he needs to be taken care of. I'm just not sure I agree that the courrts should be allowed to assign child suppot without "proof of ownership", shall we say? But BP is definitely right, if it's Bucky's, he's an absolute dog. I don't care if he DOESN'T lake or care about the mother, the youngster is what really matters here.

Just a comment on Item "B" to me it sounds like he's saying: This is not my child and I have proof.
                            If it turns out that it is his child, it would be worse then just not knowing or wanting to find out. It would mean he lied about it and fabricated a false test to show the child wasn't his. let me just add that I'm not judging him and I give him the benefit of the doubt until all is known.

Comment

Im the parent of an autistic child (my future 1st round pick at the left of this post ), so Im trying really hard to be neutral about this....

HOWEVER, doesnt he have an agent, who is most likely his attorney of record also? If I were in this situation, and truly believed it wasnt my child, I wouldve chartered a freaking jet to go take the initial DNA test if I had to.
                              But, he didn't. And now he shows up, AFTER the judgement has been entered, with some supposed DNA test, with no legal chain of evidence to prove its actually HIS DNA?
                              Sorry, but I call bullshit on this one, Bucky. And youre a piece of filth for not supporting your child, especially a disabled one.

Comment

Working...
                              X