I'm getting a little sick of Mcnabb and the sensitivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
    Sorry, I skipped right to the end of this thread.

I have just one question: What did McNabb do in the last 3 days besides supposedly not return a phone call immediately that has everyone so bent out of shape? This whole (non) controversy quite possibly baffles me more than any of the others in the past. It's as if we are suddenly starved for McNabb bashing, and we just can't wait until something tangible pops up so we're latching on to any small thing we can find.

I find it maddening.
    Derrick Gunn reported that Mcnabb was "steamed" or "peeved" over the pick. So he refused to return the phone call of the head coach. Anthony Gargano said several members of the coaching staff called Mcnabb and he blew them off. Maybe Donovan never really did send TO that text message....The very fact that the coaching staff feels they HAVE to addres this with Donvoan shows how worried they are about his reaction, and how sensitive he is...

Comment

First, it is a little known fact that DMac didn't return Andy's phone call because he didn't need to speak to him. He knows Kolb isn't a threat so why tie up Andy's time by talking about it. They will have plenty of opportunity to shoot the **** over the next few months.
      At least that might be as much of a fact as anything else.

I still gotta concur with EB in that the chances of Kolb jumping out and being an NFL superhero are a little premature. It is far too early to have any idea if he will be playing in the NFL or selling newspapers in 3 years. Personally, and unfortunately, I am betting on newspapers
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

I'm not saying that Kolb will be a super hero or anything like that. We don't know. However, I agree with Greg Cosell - you don't spend this high of a pick on a QB just to bench him for 3 or 4 years. I would bet that he will be the starting QB or at least find his way to the field in 2009. One of the biggest mistakes coaches make is having too much allegience to a QB and holding on to him too long. Dan Marino, Trent Green, Brett Favre, Drew Bledsoe, Steve McNair...guys who clearly can't win the big one (in their present state) but really to me, wasted years of a team's future, when they could have had a young QB to replace them...

I'm also NOT saying that Mcnabb is not the best QB for this team in 2007 and 2008...obviously he is. However, in 2009, Kolb at that point may be better than Mcnabb. We don't know how Mcnabb will recover from these injuries...

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
          First, it is a little known fact that DMac didn't return Andy's phone call because he didn't need to speak to him. He knows Kolb isn't a threat so why tie up Andy's time by talking about it. They will have plenty of opportunity to shoot the **** over the next few months.
          At least that might be as much of a fact as anything else.

I still gotta concur with EB in that the chances of Kolb jumping out and being an NFL superhero are a little premature. It is far too early to have any idea if he will be playing in the NFL or selling newspapers in 3 years.
          That's bull. Andy Reid called him. If my boss calls me and he's on national TV telling everyone he left me a voice mail, I can't reach for the phone fast enough. Who knows if he's returned Reid's call yet (I'm thinking yes) but it's inexcusable not to return his call right away.

Comment

It's as if we are suddenly starved for McNabb bashing, and we just can't wait until something tangible pops up so we're latching on to any small thing we can find.
            This is actually why I don't blame McNabb for being "sensitive" anymore. He and his psyche are being picked apart and analyzed even when he's not really doing anything. If you think about all the stories he's been the center of, I can't think of one that he himself has actually started, from the draft, to T.O., to the Super Bowl, to Garcia, now Kolb.
            Your confidence in your team is high, but rest assured, you will suffer humiliation when the sports team from my area defeats the sports team from your area.

Comment

sf, it is meant as a joke. It is not meant to be fact. It is meant to show that no one knows Andy and no one knows DMac. Should he return the call, yea, but he didn't. Was that because he was sensitive or was that because he missed it on the caller ID, or was it because Andy left a voice mail saying don't worry about the pick so DMac didn't worry, or was it because he is mad at the team, or ..... anything. I am sure he was shocked or pissed or whatever but no one really knows what that means in the long run so I am not sure it is time to throw DMac under the bus because of it.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Sub
                It's as if we are suddenly starved for McNabb bashing, and we just can't wait until something tangible pops up so we're latching on to any small thing we can find.
                This is actually why I don't blame McNabb for being "sensitive" anymore. He and his psyche are being picked apart and analyzed even when he's not really doing anything. If you think about all the stories he's been the center of, I can't think of one that he himself has actually started, from the draft, to T.O., to the Super Bowl, to Garcia, now Kolb.
                Good point, and this is what I intimated in another thread: this "thing" is an editorial (read: subjective) fabrication (note I did not say a falsehood, as I do not even PRETEND to know McNabb's psyche) of some media types that has taken on a life of its own through a great many of the fans. Who though really knows for certain that he even feels this way or not, unless the man himself so states unequivocally? Not I. But after the almost constant onslaught on his demeanor/personality, can he be blamed? It is a natural response. Those who consider him to be sensitive may be right. Or maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess
                  But after the almost constant onslaught on his demeanor/personality, can he be blamed?
                  That's my thing. I wouldn't even argue that he's not sensitive. I might not have the same feelings in the same situation, but it's not my place to begrudge a man's reaction to constant chatter about HIS feelings. It'd be different if he was instigating it all, but he isn't. It's like this, and just as an example: I can't be one of the guys that booed him on draft day, tell him to get over it, and then boo him some more because when someone asks him about it, it still kind of ticks him off. If I started it, he's not obligated to just drop it and move on.
                  Your confidence in your team is high, but rest assured, you will suffer humiliation when the sports team from my area defeats the sports team from your area.

Comment

Look at how AJ Feeley handled the QB thing, and the way Mcnabb did. Completely different. AJ just brushed it off and just said "I full understand the way things go in the NFL". He wasn't peeved or even concerned in the least bit. Meanwhile, Mcnabb won't talk to coaches, reporters, teammates, etc..

Comment

When people say that Philly is a tough place to play, it's not just about being booed by drunk fans. It's about weekly tabloid-media-type shitstorms that need to be addressed. Donovan did not cause anything, but he could end it very quickly w/ a simple statement.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnabbmcnow
                        Look at how AJ Feeley handled the QB thing, and the way Mcnabb did. Completely different. AJ just brushed it off and just said "I full understand the way things go in the NFL". He wasn't peeved or even concerned in the least bit. Meanwhile, Mcnabb won't talk to coaches, reporters, teammates, etc..
                        Would AJ have reacted the same way if he was in Donovan's shoes and had the history that Donovan has with the city and the media? Was there a pre-emptive flood of stories about his feelings after the pick was made?

Comment

Originally posted by Sub
                          Originally posted by mcnabbmcnow
                          Would AJ have reacted the same way if he was in Donovan's shoes and had the history that Donovan has with the city and the media? Was there a pre-emptive flood of stories about his feelings after the pick was made?
                          Well, AJ might have just as much reason to be upset. He's no longer the heir apparent -- not that we ever thought he was but you aren't an NFL QB if you dont have some competitive fire in you. You can't tell me that AJ didn't think he had a shot at the starting job if McNabb goes down.

The fact is that McNabb can't win. If he says, "I'm still the leader of this team," he'd get blasted for that too. But not saying ANYTHING certainly isn't helping the perception that he pouts. ESPECIALLY after Andy Reid told the world on ESPN that he called McNabb to tell him not to worry.

Comment

I absolutely hate the media, almost as much as the paparrazzi (scum of the earth).

At some point in our history, the media went from providing a valued public service, to being a bunch of slimeballs who will do anything to improve ratings. Things seem to be getting worse every year.

IMHO, no amount of money is worth the media/paparrazzi abuse that actors and athletes have to put up with. But, the media comes with the territory, so you better be ready to deal with them if you want the big bucks.

I trusted a reporter one time, but never again. I gave them some detailed information regarding something that I have expertise in, based on the fact that they would leave my name and place of employment out of the article. Instead, the bastard printed everything. That damn article still floats around the internet 10 years later.

Sorry about the rant. I know it is a little off subject.

As far as Donovan goes, my first instinct after reading all this stuff is that he is being a big baby. Then, I have to consider the sources. As long as Donovan keeps his personal views to himself, I could care less what he really thinks regarding the Kolb situation. Nobody likes to see their possible replacement being drafted, when they feel their best years may still be in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by SwingOnThis
                              When people say that Philly is a tough place to play, it's not just about being booed by drunk fans. It's about weekly tabloid-media-type shitstorms that need to be addressed. Donovan did not cause anything, but he could end it very quickly w/ a simple statement.
                              No he couldn't...he would be called arrogant and aloof for not addressing the "message" this pick sends or in denial about his future if he brushed it off like Feeley...

He has told the fans/media a thousand times what his priorities are and how he rolls, but they keep picking and sniping because they know eventually they will get some story they can run with and the fans will be confirmed in their belief McNabb is a whiny overly sensitive loser...

Our fans and media have memories that surpass elephants and are way more sensitive than McNabb or the majority of our athletes are IMO...they NEVER let anything go and hammer the slightest issue into the ground...

How many times have we heard, "Well, I was a McNabb (insert any other high profile and highly paid Philadelphia athlete scapegoat) supporter until he took a shot at us fans...or did not compliment us enough etc." How many times have we heard McNabb never gives the fans credit when in fact he has a thousand different times...How many times does the media have to call him a "company man" before letting it go? When was the last time the media let ANYTHING go in this town?
                              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                                ...he would be called arrogant and aloof for not addressing the "message" this pick sends or in denial about his future if he brushed it off like Feeley...
                                There's a lot of truth to what you say VFL, but i do disagree w/ this. Him making a statement to the media would go a long way towards calming this whole situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X