Annual surprise cut this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual surprise cut this year?

There's not much to work with this year with such a strong roster but we are going to have to let a few guys go . to make room for some rookies. I think that Trey Sermon goes at least to the PS but that's all I've got. Does anybody have any other ideas?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Barnett, they are loaded on the Dline
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
      Barnett, they are loaded on the Dline
      I am with you on this player but think they will try to move him to get something back.

Comment

I think he's too good of a pass rusher to let go so he's going to stay. I know he was offside a few times last year but look at all the false starts that Jason Peters used to have. I would think he'd get that cleaned up this year.

Comment

Davion Taylor doesn’t make the 53. Eli Ricks wins out over Josiah Scott who is cut.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

I might go Boston Scott -- we may not need KRs this year. Either him or Sermon won't make the team, I'm sure.

Josiah Scott, unless he dramatically improves (he's young so not impossible). We have far better depth at safety this year, though not as sure about slot corner, which may be his ticket.

Patrick Johnson; we may have other better Reddick backups now. Not sure these would be real surprises though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post

I am with you on this player but think they will try to move him to get something back.
              I agree. Barnett may be dealt before they cut him loose.

I think Boston Scott might be the surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                I think he's too good of a pass rusher to let go so he's going to stay. I know he was offside a few times last year but look at all the false starts that Jason Peters used to have. I would think he'd get that cleaned up this year.
                To be fair to him, I do think he has some utility to the team. If he's the odd man out, I think he gets dealt before being cut outright.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Covey got cut. He's adequate as a punt returner but I was really disappointed that he did nothing from the slot last year. The kid was a real playmaker in college.

Comment

Covey would be a surprise. His PR numbers improved all year and by the end of the year he was starting to rank high. I don’t think he had a lot of opportunity in the slot so o am hoping a year of study helps him.
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

I think I read somewhere that Covey avg 13.3 ypr the last half of the season. Sometimes guys try to just use their speed, he seemed like his head was up and the game slowed down for him. Our STs in general were not up to snuff IMO. If we correct that, we will be so much better, we just didn’t flop the field very often last season. My hope is Zetner really pushes Sipposs.
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                        I think I read somewhere that Covey avg 13.3 ypr the last half of the season. Sometimes guys try to just use their speed, he seemed like his head was up and the game slowed down for him. Our STs in general were not up to snuff IMO. If we correct that, we will be so much better, we just didn’t flop the field very often last season. My hope is Zetner really pushes Sipposs.
                        I thought he had a huge amount of fair catches last year because he just didn't have any room. He got more chances as the year went on. I like him back there because of his ball security but if he doesn't show anymore as a pass receiver I think he's on the bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post

I thought he had a huge amount of fair catches last year because he just didn't have any room. He got more chances as the year went on. I like him back there because of his ball security but if he doesn't show anymore as a pass receiver I think he's on the bubble.
                          He started very badly last year, but the second half he was among the best returners in the league. WR will be an interesting position cut-wise, but it would take someone else looking really good (or a big regression from Covey as PR) for him to be on the bubble, I think.

Kempski did a somewhat in-depth look at him:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-p...covey-edition/

Comment

What if Penny is the surprise cut?

If Penny reaches the end of August and isn’t at the top of the depth chart or at least the co-lead back with Swift, however, his odds of making the initial 53-man roster are slim.

In fact, there might not be an in-between scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                              What if Penny is the surprise cut?
                              He very well could be cut under that scenerio but my money is him staying.

Comment

Working...
                              X