Eagles vs Commanders instant reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
    Whew. I had to miss the game live today, but just finished watching the recording (3 hours post game). My recording switched to the Cowboys game at the end of regulation and I missed OT. Frustrating game regarding the penalties and scary game overall. The passing game was the best so far this year and that was really good to see.

One thing to note. Hurts had that one 24 yard run. If you take that run away, he had 8 other carries for only 10 yards. I still think he seems just a tad slower this year. Or, teams are really spying on him. Most of the Hurts keepers this year seem to go for < 3 yards. Although, he does pull off a nice scramble sometimes under pressure.
    The same thing happened to me Pliny. I had to pull up WIP on my computer to hear the rest of the game. I have to admit it was pretty cool hearing Merril call the winning field goal. I see the same thing that you do about Hurts. He doesn't seem as quick as he did last year to me. I did notice on a few plays Washington did use a spy on him.

There has been a whole lot of complaining about our offense that put up 34 points yesterday though.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

The offense has improved every game. It was overall very good, as was Hurts. I think I remember one bad decision on a deep throw that AJ Brown had to play defender, and one good decision but bad throw on a deep pass where the WR was single covered but it was well over his head. The ball wasn't coming out as fast as last year, but faster than earlier games, and he was getting good protection and staying in the pocket pretty well. Really, one of the complaints was actually scoring a TD on a good audible and great throw/catch, just from a time-management perspective

I agree he looks a touch slower, and is sliding down before risking contact, so not getting some of the extra yards he was last year (and I am completely fine with that). His long scramble was great, and of course he won't have much of a rushing average on the Brotherly Shove play of which there were a couple yesterday. Teams seem always prepared for the designed QB runs this year; either there is a tell or teams are sitting on it, so Hurts just slides after a very short gain. But there were a couple scrambles where he wasn't getting around the corner like he seemed to consistently in years past. Seems like Johnson loves the designed QB run in the red zone, and it has been universally a dud.

The main issue with the offense now, to me, is red zone performance -- and it may be mostly on the play calling. I think we have just one red zone TD pass this entire season.

Comment

Good post FO.
        I agree with your take on the designed runs. Could be a tell but I think teams are just on to that. Especially those up the middle runs. Worthless play call IMM.
        I also noted his sliding right from the start of the season and I think that is a conscious team decision this year. Good
        I’m rather tired of hearing about this brotherly Shove crap. Don’t know how long the QB sneak has been part of football but it was definitely around in the early 60s. Having someone push might be used now but people pushed as long as I can remember. Personally I think he makes 99% of those gains even if he wasn’t pushed.
        But I don’t think he is quite as elusive this year and he is just a tush (ha) off on his passing game this year. But the passing game is coming along and I attribute some of the slow start to Sirianni’s preseason program
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Is it me or are they calling far less RPOs this year which is impacting Hurts' rushing production. I wonder if it is a factor of the contract, new coordinator or Swift not being as adept at it. Could be a mix of all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
            Is it me or are they calling far less RPOs this year which is impacting Hurts' rushing production. I wonder if it is a factor of the contract, new coordinator or Swift not being as adept at it. Could be a mix of all three.
            I think it was the great Fran Duffy that I heard say last night that teams have figured out how to defend Hurts in the RPO this year. So, the Eagles are having to get away from those plays and move to a more traditional running game.

Comment

I agree that Hurts looks slower. I thot that during his 24 yd scamper. Was bound to happen as a person ages, but was hoping it would not be quite this soon.

Moving forward, I think we need another play maker in the secondary. Don’t k know if it’s Buddha assuming he gets healthy or a CB, but we are too thin and need more.

Also, just bc it’s an opportunity, would love Chase Claypool as another big and fast target. He was inactive for the Bears yesterday, so shouldn’t be too expensive.
              Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
              Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                Teams seem to be league wide much more ready for the RPO game than they have been. They still run them and they have had some success with it.

The Hurts designed runs, teams are ready for it. They still have to show it some but call them less for sure.
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
                X