BGN: Film Breakdown of Barkley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BGN: Film Breakdown of Barkley

I like reading and watching these film breakdowns from Jonny Page on BGN, a Brit that follows the Eagles. As we've all generally surmised here in our discussions, the expectation is that Barkley should flourish behind the Eagles O-line and far exceed what he's been able to do in NY.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...free-agency-rb

EXCERPT---

There are a lot of very good running backs in this league, but there are very few whose highs are as high as Saquon Barkley’s. When he is fully healthy, he is as good and talented as anyone in this league. Running backs do not go at 2 overall unless they are superstars. You need superstars to win in this league, and Barkley is a superstar talent.

I’m shocked that I keep hearing people going on about the issue with paying running backs. Just look at the actual amount of money Barkley is getting! He is getting less money than role players such as Darnell Mooney and Gabe Davis. Howie Roseman has clearly spotted a market inefficiency, as all good general managers should, and it’s reached the point where running backs are so underpaid that they represent really good value. Does anyone really think Gabe Davis is going to change the Jaguars’ offense more than Saquon Barkley will over the next 2 years? Barkley’s deal is only for a couple of years anyway, so this isn’t a deal that is going to cost the Eagles down the line and prevent future spending.

I have to be honest, I am not a fan in general of paying running backs to a 2nd contact. I would just keep drafting them every few years, instead of paying good but not great running backs (such as D’Andre Swift, Tony Pollard, etc) but Saquon Barkley is not in the same tier as this. I am totally on board with paying elite running backs because they can make a huge difference to your offense. If I am going to pay a running back, they better be a top-5 talent otherwise I don’t think its a smart move. I previously said the Eagles should pass on re-signing Swift, and they made the right decision not paying him.

The best thing about Saquon Barkley in this offense is that he doesn’t have to carry the entire offense on his back anymore. He is just one of many outstanding players in this offense, and that should allow him to not have to carry the load every single week and that will hopefully keep him healthier as the season progresses.

People claim he’s always hurt. He missed 14 games when he blew out his knee, the other 5 years he’s missed a total of 7 games. 2 times I think he had a high ankle sprain,
    which is to be expected when you run like he does and when you play on that shit field.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
    X