This speaks volumes IMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This speaks volumes IMO

11 FAs from last years roster are unwanted. I never would have looked at last years depth chart and thought that was possible.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I guess everybody wants to lose 6 out of their last seven games next year.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Some of those guys were the mid-season pickups to replace injuries of ours, not guys we started the season with. They were available because nobody else really wanted them . Others were bargain-bin free agents the Eagles signed late in the summer, who obviously had no other takers then, so not surprising they don't again. Some probably will, just waiting on better offers.

I think the 11 are:

Shaun Bradley -- tough coming off an Achilles injury the last rookie deal year. Eagles may give him a shot in training camp but he'll probably be on the outside of the roster looking in.
      Zach Cunningham -- I could see him coming back but he'd hope for a better offer I think last least until after the draft.
      Shaquille Leonard -- Colts released him in November; looks like injuries may have ended him.
      Justin Evans -- low-cost flier last year, and he got injured, so will be even less in demand this year.
      Bradley Roby -- midseason pickup so nobody else wanted him last year, probably even less this year.
      Rashaad Penny -- mystifying season here last year. He was good on the field in 2022 and no idea why the Eagles wouldn't play him. You'd think he could find a job but who knows.
      Boston Scott -- was always a fringe roster guy. Could be back as depth, maybe, but would probably wait to see if anyone else bites since his role here could be even less than last year.
      Julio Jones -- was probably on his last legs already, mid-season pickup. (Though may still be better than the vets we did sign.)
      Quez Watkins -- just did sign with Pittsburgh.
      Olamide Zaccheaus -- we barely used him, for whatever reason. Probably good enough to find a team but doubt he wants to come back here.
      Avonte Maddox - Eagles have a price they'd probably be happy at. Maddox may be hoping he can get more from someone, maybe if some team misses targets during the draft.

So of that group, there are 10 free agents left. Three are mid-season pickups that nobody wanted last year until injures hit (Leonard, Roby, Jones). Three are veterans coming off of season-ending injuries which always makes things harder (Maddox, Evans, Bradley). The last four were fringe roster guys to begin with that the Eagles got at low prices last year (Oz, Cunningham, Penny, Scott). So really, not *that* surprising. Maddox will certainly find a team at some point. Several of the rest probably will, especially once injuries start hitting teams, but nobody else is a lock.

Frankly, I'm stunned that Byard got the deal he did, and that Morrow signed as quickly as he did -- guess any guaranteed offer wasn't a given so he jumped on it.

Comment

Just for the record I really like Boston Scott
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
          Some of those guys were the mid-season pickups to replace injuries of ours, not guys we started the season with. They were available because nobody else really wanted them . Others were bargain-bin free agents the Eagles signed late in the summer, who obviously had no other takers then, so not surprising they don't again. Some probably will, just waiting on better offers.

I think the 11 are:

Shaun Bradley -- tough coming off an Achilles injury the last rookie deal year. Eagles may give him a shot in training camp but he'll probably be on the outside of the roster looking in.
          Zach Cunningham -- I could see him coming back but he'd hope for a better offer I think last least until after the draft.
          Shaquille Leonard -- Colts released him in November; looks like injuries may have ended him.
          Justin Evans -- low-cost flier last year, and he got injured, so will be even less in demand this year.
          Bradley Roby -- midseason pickup so nobody else wanted him last year, probably even less this year.
          Rashaad Penny -- mystifying season here last year. He was good on the field in 2022 and no idea why the Eagles wouldn't play him. You'd think he could find a job but who knows.
          Boston Scott -- was always a fringe roster guy. Could be back as depth, maybe, but would probably wait to see if anyone else bites since his role here could be even less than last year.
          Julio Jones -- was probably on his last legs already, mid-season pickup. (Though may still be better than the vets we did sign.)
          Quez Watkins -- just did sign with Pittsburgh.
          Olamide Zaccheaus -- we barely used him, for whatever reason. Probably good enough to find a team but doubt he wants to come back here.
          Avonte Maddox - Eagles have a price they'd probably be happy at. Maddox may be hoping he can get more from someone, maybe if some team misses targets during the draft.

So of that group, there are 10 free agents left. Three are mid-season pickups that nobody wanted last year until injures hit (Leonard, Roby, Jones). Three are veterans coming off of season-ending injuries which always makes things harder (Maddox, Evans, Bradley). The last four were fringe roster guys to begin with that the Eagles got at low prices last year (Oz, Cunningham, Penny, Scott). So really, not *that* surprising. Maddox will certainly find a team at some point. Several of the rest probably will, especially once injuries start hitting teams, but nobody else is a lock.

Frankly, I'm stunned that Byard got the deal he did, and that Morrow signed as quickly as he did -- guess any guaranteed offer wasn't a given so he jumped on it.
          I get all that, but a good team doesn’t have 11 guys no one wants.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Yea most of those guys are nothing and Boston isn’t a star but he filled his role nicely. Always liked him
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
              I get all that, but a good team doesn’t have 11 guys no one wants.
              After all the injuries in the secondary and all the replacements, there were definitely a bunch of guys on the team that nobody wanted.

It was however criminal to go into the season with LBs (outside of Dean) that nobody wanted. We somehow patched over that for a little while but the defense was quite bad by the end of the season, with lots of players nobody wanted.

Comment

I just listened to Nick's presser at the owners meetings. He said Morrow played through injuries. I wonder if he was that bad or just hurt

Comment

Working...
                X