• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your feelings on McNabb.......NOW?

Originally posted by stocknowledge
    Originally posted by Pliny
    Originally posted by MDFAN

Just curious, but how many times would IP have been sacked today? I saw at least 5 times where #5 escaped the pocket where as IP would have been buried. That's the good with the bad.
    MD. I have to totally disagree. IP was facing the same pressure and was getting the ball out quickly and completing passes in most of those same situations. Donovan hesitated and missed his changes. Then, he was scrambling for his life.

The Giants defense looked no different to me than the others we have seen recently.

Donovan looked like he was playing not to lose the game, instead of staying agressive.

Agressive QB's win ballgames, even with the occassional mistakes. On a few plays last week and before, AJ completed passes when a blitzer came through completely unblocked.

You are exactly right!!

McNabb sucks. (Period) He cannot anticipate receivers breaking open, holds onto the ball wayyyyyy too long, and cannot complete a pass longer than 10 yards. Hell, he cannot even throw an accurate pass within 10 yards. Receivers are never hit in stride, but have to reach back or jump for the ball.

You can blame the coaching staff for calling the wrong plays, but it seems to me that the coaching staff has tailored (reigned in) the offense to hide McNabb's weaknesses. They call short passing plays (when longer passes would be more effective) and running plays (when they should be passing the ball), because they know that McNabb cannot run a vertical passing game. This is particularly evident on a day when a vertical passing game would have been very successful - the Giants were playing without their two starting safeties.

You can blame the receivers for not getting open, but they sure as hell were open the previous two weeks for a different QB.

McNabb may have regained the mobility in his legs, but he doesn't know when to break the pocket. It appears that he doesn't read the field properly, because there are receivers open - he just doesn't find them. He is gun shy, and overly cautious.

Quite frankly, McNabb was outplayed today by Eli Manning. If that isn't enough of an indictment, nothing is!
    Curtis, slant hit perfectly in stride, Westbrook TD pass right on target, Brown sideline pass on final drive perfect just off the top of my head...using absolutes is dangerous.

The rest is too much to respond to...if people truly believe Feeley is the answer I am speechless. The evidence is overwhelming against such a conclusion. If they think McNabb is totally done, I am not quite as speechless, but close.

I think it is pretty clear this team as a collective unit is not good or consistent enough with either QB...we are not 5-8 because of McNabb or Feeley. It has been a total team effort.
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

"I think it is pretty clear this team as a collective unit is not good or consistent enough with either QB...we are not 5-8 because of McNabb or Feeley. It has been a total team effort."

This sez it all!

Been my point all along!

Although it makes sense and (IMO) is very accurate ---- you will be painted as a Mcnabb apologist cause you refuse to bash him or blame him almost entirely for the 5 and 8 season! Even though the fact of the matter this team, as it's playing, just isn't anything more than average or below. It isn't any better with IP and it wouldn't be any better for Kolb if he were to play now. But it's more fun to just bash away.

Comment

I don't think anyone thinks Feeley is the answer. How can you watch his performance last week and think he's the answer?

But what people see is that the way Feeley gets the ball out exposes McNabb's weakness.

Comment

Who said Feeley was the answer?
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny
            IP was facing the same pressure and was getting the ball out quickly and completing passes in most of those same situations. Donovan hesitated and missed his changes. Then, he was scrambling for his life.

The Giants defense looked no different to me than the others we have seen recently.

Donovan looked like he was playing not to lose the game, instead of staying agressive.

Agressive QB's win ballgames, even with the occassional mistakes. On a few plays last week and before, AJ completed passes when a blitzer came through completely unblocked.

You are exactly right!!

McNabb sucks. (Period) He cannot anticipate receivers breaking open, holds onto the ball wayyyyyy too long, and cannot complete a pass longer than 10 yards. Hell, he cannot even throw an accurate pass within 10 yards. Receivers are never hit in stride, but have to reach back or jump for the ball.

You can blame the coaching staff for calling the wrong plays, but it seems to me that the coaching staff has tailored (reigned in) the offense to hide McNabb's weaknesses. They call short passing plays (when longer passes would be more effective) and running plays (when they should be passing the ball), because they know that McNabb cannot run a vertical passing game. This is particularly evident on a day when a vertical passing game would have been very successful - the Giants were playing without their two starting safeties.

You can blame the receivers for not getting open, but they sure as hell were open the previous two weeks for a different QB.

McNabb may have regained the mobility in his legs, but he doesn't know when to break the pocket. It appears that he doesn't read the field properly, because there are receivers open - he just doesn't find them. He is gun shy, and overly cautious.

Quite frankly, McNabb was outplayed today by Eli Manning. If that isn't enough of an indictment, nothing is!

times 2

AH, TRUTH!

I really did want him to succeed here. My desire is to someday see the Eagles win a SB. That is not going to happen with DM at the helm. He had his chances. Too inconsistent and too injury-prone. Time to give someone else a try. What do we have to lose? Some football games, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
              I don't think anyone thinks Feeley is the answer. How can you watch his performance last week and think he's the answer?

But what people see is that the way Feeley gets the ball out exposes McNabb's weakness.

Exactly my thinking. McNabb certainly IS NOT the reason why the Eagles are 5-8, but what position on the field is more important than any other position? QB. So when you are "grading" players the QB gets the most emphasis. No one's saying the whole team is an A (or B for that matter) while McNabb is playing at a D level. There are a ton of Cs out there right now, but McNabb looks to be one of them.

I'll try to refrain from bashing: McNabb made a few nice throws and a couple poor decisions. He wasn't atrocious out there, he wasn't spectacular. I want more from the #1 paid player on the team (ok, i'm not totally sure he's the highest paid player).

I also want more from the WR position. Brown and Curtis are ok, but they're too similar - I want a #1 WR. I actually think it could help 5 play better.

IMO, you either go get McNabb a bona fide #1 WR, or you move on.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan

And I don't see anyone trying to say McNabb is a pro bowl caliber QB right now either.... ALL QB's have weaknesses, we all know Mcnabb tends to hold the ball too long, and has at times some terrible touch on the short passes------ but he also brings other things.

The point trying to be made here is that this, and this is how this whole thing got started, season isn't 5 and 8 solely or mostly due to McNabb........... it's the game that is the most a team game and some people have to look at the big picture, rather than just trying to find a fall guy.

Comment

Of course, McNabb is NOT the whole reason that the team is 5-8, but he is the major reason.

QB is the most important position on the team. If you are not getting good play from your QB, you aren't going to win.
                  "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

"Where? What WR were open? They showed replay after replay after replay and McNabb had NOBODY to throw to..."

I cannot possibly disagree with this more strongly. Even when the announcers were trying to show examples of WR's not getting open, they were getting enough seperation early in their routes to be targets. The WRs were just as open to day as they have been in previous weeks, the problem lies elsewhere.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Of course, McNabb is NOT the whole reason that the team is 5-8, but he is the major reason.

QB is the most important position on the team. If you are not getting good play from your QB, you aren't going to win.
                      We have gotten good play out of the QB position with both McNabb and Feeley this season. Again, if you want to willfully ignore the good production games by both guys it will be hard to discuss this topic...

The problems are:

1. NEITHER have been consistent enough to maintain their good play

2. The rest of the team: D, O, ST has not been consistent enough to maintain their good play either

3. The coaching has not been as effective this season

4. The talent level & depth have been challenged and we need to upgrade several positions such as DE, CB, S, TE, WR, KR, PR

-Andy Reid

Comment

This thread is about whether McNabb is or is not playing as well as you want your starting QB to play. It's not about Feely, or Garcia, or any of the other QBs that have been here. I'm looking ahead. We have, right now, 2 options. cNabb, or beginning of the Kolb era. I have stated that I am not ready to begin the Kolb era. I was HOPING that McNabb would show that he's still capable of carrying this team. Today did nothing to strenghten that, IMO. That's why I started this thread, and that what I wanted to find out, if anyone else had similar, or a different opinion on that matter.

I have been optimistic and hopeful all week, so don't paint me as someone rooting for McNabb to blow, I wasn't, and am not. I just have about ZERO confidence in him being able to do what this team needs to become a true contender, and in fact still see him as part of the problem. I keep seeing the same weaknesses, whether his mobility is improving or not.
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas

We have gotten good play out of the QB position with both McNabb and Feeley this season. Again, if you want to willfully ignore the good production games by both guys it will be hard to discuss this topic...

The problems are:

2. The rest of the team: D, O, ST has not been consistent enough to maintain their good play either

4. The talent level & depth have been challenged and we need to upgrade several positions such as DE, CB, S, TE, WR, KR, PR
                          You need to add QB to #4.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                            This thread is about whether McNabb is or is not playing as well as you want your starting QB to play. It's not about Feely, or Garcia, or any of the other QBs that have been here. I'm looking ahead. We have, right now, 2 options. cNabb, or beginning of the Kolb era. I have stated that I am not ready to begin the Kolb era. I was HOPING that McNabb would show that he's still capable of carrying this team. Today did nothing to strenghten that, IMO. That's why I started this thread, and that what I wanted to find out, if anyone else had similar, or a different opinion on that matter.

I have been optimistic and hopeful all week, so don't paint me as someone rooting for McNabb to blow, I wasn't, and am not. I just have about ZERO confidence in him being able to do what this team needs to become a true contender, and in fact still see him as part of the problem. I keep seeing the same weaknesses, whether his mobility is improving or not.
                            Today was about much more than McNabb IMO...which is why it has become clear to me this team as a whole is not good enough regardless of who the QB is...you say you have zero confidence in him, but he is only ONE player. What are the other guys doing to win the game? This is a team game...

Is Westbrook going to be held accountable for fumbling?

Do we have any TE on this team worth playing?

Did we use Buck at all today?

Why did we not run Westbrook more in the 2nd and 3rd quarters?

Did the coaches call any deep pass plays today?

What happened to the screen game since the 2nd Washington contest?

What happened to Brown on the TD throw to Burress?

Why was the D struggling again to get off the field on 3rd down?

Where was Lito's head at most of the game?

Why did we run 2x for basically no gain before Akers FG try at the end instead of taking a shot at the end zone?

Why all the off-sides penalties on the DL that kept drives going?

How was that not PI against Avant on the 4th down play?

What happened on the hold on the final FG try?

What was Avant thinking on that 3rd down play?

Did McNabb play a great game? No way, but I am not sure McNabb can be blamed as the sole or even major reason we lost this game. IMO he gets the next 3 games to prove he is back to the level we expect. Hopefully, the team will play more like the Detroit, MN or Washington games around him than the way they did today. We need the whole team to execute well to win right now because it is becoming clear to me I over-estimated the talent level on the team or under-estimated how much the talent transition would impact our performance.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas

The problems are:

You need to add QB to #4.
                              I disagree. Kolb is the future and the Eagles will either start him next year or in 2009. McNabb is perfectly capable of being the bridge until he is ready IMO, but we need him and the rest of the team to execute better and more consistently and then we need to upgrade those positions to give him and the team more support.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I appreciate your post, VFK, I do. However, all the stuff about the rest of the team, you can pretty much throw out. Those are contributing factors as to why we lost today, true enough, but I am looking at McNabbs performance, as a focus here. I see things that have seen for a long time now, and my lack of confidence is in them improving greatly. I just don't think he is performing, himself, nearly at the level we need him to on anyting resembling a consistent basis. We need more from our QB, IMO.

If Reid's decision is to keep cNabb in there for the rest of the season I will TRY to stay as open minded as possible, and hope for signs of improvement.

Comment

Working...
                                X