Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT:All Right I'm Calling you all out, one by one 1st MD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT:All Right I'm Calling you all out, one by one 1st MD!

this is where I rate, huh? Hey, what can I expect since I am out of State and not on here as much as I used to be?

My Dad was born and raised in Cumberland Maryland. My Mom in Rye New Hampshire. My Dad went to the Univ of Maryland then joined the AirForce. He ended up stationed at the now closed Pease AFB in Portsmouth NH. There he met my Mom and that gleam in his eye began. I was born in July of 1969 in New Hampshire. 38 years later and I am still a resident. Long winters, but just a great place to raise kids. Virtually zero crime and great schools. And oh yeah...no sales tax! I imagine I will move south when my kids get out of HS. I'm the middle child, sandwiched between two sisters. (I think that is where my level headedness, sensitivity and patience comes from) Raised Roman Catholic. Did the alter boy thing (no, the priests actually were cool and left me alone) I still believe but don't exactly practice anymore. Mainly because I found it repetitive and began believing my relationship with God did not have to be in church. Maybe some day I will find out I was wrong on that? who knows. I played all sports as a kid. I was best at basketball and tennis. My HS had 7,000 students and I was only 5'5 until I grew 6" in my senior year. Needless to say I didn't make the HS basketball team. Iprobably play better basketball now than I ever did. I also coach my daughter's youth league. I really didn't take to watching sports and being a fan much until I was about 10. Dad brought his Oriole fandom to me and that has stayed with me over the years. His Colts up and moved and thus he really didn't pass a football team on to me. My Uncle and family lived in Westchester PA and was a big Eagle and Flyers fan. I got a Carmichael jersey as a kid. I was hooked. I watched every game that was on and waited like a kid for highlights or info about all of the others. I couldn't be happier with the advent of Direct TV and the Internet. Being an out of town fan is so easy now. I cried like a baby when we lost SB XV. Lived through hell when the local Pats beat us in the SB a few years ago. Love the Flyers. Many memories from Flyer games over the years. I can't really explain why I am a Spurs fan all that much. I played on a peewee team called the Spurs. Got an Iceman poster as kid and just started following them. Basically in the 80's with Artis Gilmore, Johnny Moore and others. Have been hooked since. U Maryland fan for Basketball and Football. UNH fan for hockey (I'm an alum)

I married my college sweetheart in 1996. I loved her so much that I still married her even though her Dad and brother are Giants fans. Ten months after marriage we had our first child. Two years later we had another. Both girls. Lots of drama and estrogen in my house. Crazy at times, but I love my Daddy's girls. My oldest likes to mess with me and thus claims to be a Red Sox and Giants fan. My bro in law bought her an Eli jersey. I'm really tempted to burn it...but haven't. YET
    I can't wait til he and his wife have a child. I will outfit them to the hilt!
    My youngest stands by me on all teams

I've been working at the same company now for 12 years. The last three as a Sales Manager. At this point I manage a team of 21. Which keeps me insanely busy. Between work and family, I've had less and less time for posting on boards. Life is flying by at this point in my life.

I first came in contact on an Eagles message board on philly.com right around 1996. I was lucky enough to pick a posting name of a player that never left and may go into the HOF as an Eagle. I can keep this posting name forever! By the way, my name is Bill. Lots of memories over the years from the board. Great conversation. MDFan, Pedro, FRESH, 2nd and Arch. Many of you on this board now. I used to post so much that it's amazing I got through the years at my job. I think I was a top 5 posting member for a couple years. Who can forget the day of 9/11? Unreal! The day we acquired TO and Kearse! I haven't had the pleasure of meeting that many of you. I did meet 2nd and Arch, Eagle60 and Ike at training camp one year. NYCEagle at the Eagles vs Pack game during the SB year. (we ended Favre TD streak!) I never got to meet Krukker....but I cannot thank him enough for starting Philaphans and moving us from that old philly.com board. I never met the guy, yet I felt like I knew him and was really saddened by his passing. I am hoping to hoist a beer and celebrate many Eagles and Flyers titles with some day up in heaven! It was a great place to post for years. Guys like GMAN ruined it for some. For me I don't get bothered too much by negative fans, but......this board is also a great place to post. I'll admit it....I still like both boards. I prefer this one, but need to whole vibe of the Philly fan so I like both boards.

I met Andy Reid in St Thomas on vaca after his rookie season as a head coach. He was very personable and even asked his wife to come over and meet myself and my wife. I know the guy has been through hell, but I won't forget that and do stand by the guy. Not the best playcaller in the world, but a hell of a great guy and a pretty darn good football mind.

My wife really has never understood me posting on here. However, this place and Philaphans is very near and dear to my heart. Especially as an out of town fan. I love getting the pulse of fans of my team. I love the positive and negative posts. I love talking football. And even though I cannot keep up with it like I used to...I like reading how all of you are doing. What a great group of fans! As weird as it might seem, there is not much better than watching an Eagle game and being logged in to see what all of my Eagle brothers are thinking and feeling at the same time.

I haven't kept up with this post to see who has posted and who hasn't. MDFAN,can you pick the next victim? Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Dawk, good stuff and so many of us can overlook your infatuation with the O's and the U of Md-- it was a legit Dad inspired trickle down affect.

And BTW I hope nobody gets upset for real and when their names get picked as it's being done strictly at random,,, at least when I do it.

Next on the list ----- Ekravitz!

Comment

oh man. well, I'm not gonna get all involved.

I was born in Philly in 1977. moved to Jacksonville in 1984 when I was 7. went to high school at Wolfson High, went to college at the University of Florida and graduated in 2000 with a major in Broadcast Journalism. took a job as the play-by-play voice of the Jupiter Hammerheads in 2001. they were the Expos affiliate in the FSL. After that, I tried to get another job in baseball but the money was terrible so I changed fields and went into healthcare. for the last 6 years, I credential Emergency Room Physicians all over the country. that's where we stand now. oh, I am single and I LOVE IT

Comment

Originally posted by ekravitz
          oh man. well, I'm not gonna get all involved.

I was born in Philly in 1977. moved to Jacksonville in 1984 when I was 7. went to high school at Wolfson High, went to college at the University of Florida and graduated in 2000 with a major in Broadcast Journalism. took a job as the play-by-play voice of the Jupiter Hammerheads in 2001. they were the Expos affiliate in the FSL. After that, I tried to get another job in baseball but the money was terrible so I changed fields and went into healthcare. for the last 6 years, I credential Emergency Room Physicians all over the country. that's where we stand now. oh, I am single and I LOVE IT
          Short and sweet---- ok so who is next, your call!

Comment

this is completely random but what about Section 736?

Comment

You got it, 736 you're on the clock..........

Comment

Have it soon, just busy today.
                I gaze into the doorway of temptation's angry flame
                And every time I pass that way I always hear my name.
                Then onward in my journey I come to understand
                That every hair is numbered like every grain of sand.

Comment

First off, thanks for the invite here and the heads up e-mail MD. This is my Eagles board of choice. I started posting on Phliaphans a few years back and migrated here. I enjoy the discussions, especially after a game and the lack of insults is refreshing.

I was born in West Chester in 1969. Went to Unionville High School in Chester County. When young, I played soccer and baseball and in high school I played soccer and ran track. I was an ok soccer player, but a pretty good runner. Ran the 400 and 800. When I was a kid my family (grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles) all had Eagles season tickets. I went to my first training camp in 1975, I was still 5 years old. I got pictures with players, my favorite is with Bill Bradley. He put his helmet on me and stood next to me right on the side of the field. Bill Bergey put me on his shoulder pads. That's how I became a die hard Eagles fan. My dad always bought us the gameday magazine and my brother and I would always look over the players pictures. I had a lot of favorite players, but mostly it was Wilbert Montgomery.

I went to many Phillies games as a kid too, but I remember them most for the summer night games when all sat and watched on TV. "He looks hitterish Harry" said Ashburn, I really miss him. Baseball is probably my favorite sport. There's nothing quite like a playoff run in baseball. Favorite players, like many people my age were Schmidt and Carlton. But I also loved Bake McBride. I grew up in a great period of Phillie baseball from about 1977-1983. I never quite understood why my dad always brought up 1964, but now I understand what he was talking about.

As well as sports I always wanted to be an artist from the earliest time I can remember. I went to kindergarden and painted everyday. I used to paint the whole sheet of paper blue and tell my mom it was the ocean. After high school I went to a couple of years of commercial art school and after seeing that it wasn't for me, I transfered to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. Graduated from there in 1993. Got married and divorced, yes I'm part of that statistic. After that I built a log home, which I had to be damn near crazy to do, but I did it pretty much myself and now I have a great art studio. I worked as a manger in a landscape supply place for way too long. My heart was always into my art and in the fall I left there and have been painting full time. I'm working my way toward having a show, it's a lot more work than it might seem. It's been said that the life of an artist is the best you can have if you can get past the first 40 years, I've got about 17 months to go and I'll be testing that theory.

That's the short version and I'll throw it to nyc_eagle if he hasn't gone yet and if he has feel free to choose MD. Again it great to get to know everyone who shared here a little bit better, thanks to all.

PS....to all those (and there were many) who served, thank you.

Comment

section - good stuff! What style of painting is your work? I'd love to know when you get the show together so we can take a look at your work. My wife and I took the baby to the museum on Saturday for the first time which was really cool.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

736, interesting and it's nice to see someone who stayed true to their early dreams. And as Juk said let us know when you get that show together, I know I'll try to make it.

We'll put out a "apb" for nyc_eagle forya.

Comment

Gotta take care of some stuff at work this AM, but will post later.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin
                          section - good stuff! What style of painting is your work? I'd love to know when you get the show together so we can take a look at your work. My wife and I took the baby to the museum on Saturday for the first time which was really cool.

Thanks Jukin. I guess people would consider my stuff pretty representational/traditional. As an artist, I tend to disagree as there is always something emotional below the surface that attracts my attention. I believe for a painting to be really good, it must work on multiple levels. On the visual side there's the obvious stuff like composition, color and craft. The emotional side covers any and all subjects. As Picasso once said "Painting is just another way of keeping a diary." Very well said.

What museum did you visit? I think it's great that you expose your childeren to art, good for you and great for them. I have a freind who has taken his daughter to museums since she was a baby. She's now 4 and it's amazing the things that she remembers and also sees in the paintings for such a young age.

Comment

We went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art for the Frida Kahlo exhibit. The baby is only 10 months old so I didn't keep him in the exhibit too long as he started to get a little fidgety so he and I went to look at other areas of the museum where the crowd was much less intense. He really seemed to like being in the crowd and barely made a noise - and for any single Dad's out there, at least 10 women came up to me to ask about the baby. I wish I had known about this when I was single!!
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

First off, love this board. I read it everyday, but rarely get to post due to work.

I was born in '77 in East Falls and moved across the Schuylkill to Bala Cynwyd when I was 2 (with my family, of course). I've been an Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, Flyers and St. Joe's fan since Day 1. My family has always been sports intensive. Both my parents ran track in college. Dad was a distance runner; Mom a sprinter.

My first Phillies game (or any pro game for that matter) was in '81 against the Dodgers. There was a long rain delay and I remember waiting in the tunnell, staring at the field. As hideous as the Vet was, it was beautiful to me. The game was finally played and the Phils won. My dad should have told me not to get used to it.

My first Eagles game was the 1990 home opener against the Cardinals. They lost. I'm almost positive my dad told me to get used to it.

Since I was born and raised in the Philly area, I never really encountered fans of other teams. That changed in '92 when I talked my dad into taking me to the Eagles/Cowboys playoff game in Dallas. You all know what happened in that game. And while it was a horrible experience, I did get one huge takeaway: I truly learned to hate the Dallas Cowboys. Thanks, Dad.

Anyway, I was a pretty good athlete growing up. I played on a very good soccer team, but my athletic career was ended at a very early age due to a degenerative bone disease in my knee. I had my first surgery when I was 13. By the time I was faced with my fourth surgery at 19, I just gave up on competitive sports altogether and concentrated on being a Philly diehard.

Went to St. Joe's Prep my freshman and sophomore year. I think I was the 12th person from my family to go there. Basically, I was born, they saw I was a boy and then my parents decided I was going to the Prep. The timing was bad (parents getting divorced, ongoing knee problems, etc.) and I transferred to Lower Merion where I finished up (yes, I went to school with Kobe).

I attended the College of the Holy Cross in beautiful Worcester, Mass. (Love them Jesuits!) After graduating in '99, I moved to New York, hence nyc_eagle. Been here ever since.

I spent a year working on Wall St., but decided it wasn't for me. I then worked in the finance department of Rolling Stone for about four years before deciding that too was not the ideal fit. In '04, I enrolled in a business journalism program at NYU and reported for a few years before being named assistant managing editor at my current publication a little over a month ago, which is why I don't get to post much anymore. I'm hoping I will figure out what the hell I'm doing by training camp so I can contribute to the conversation a bit more.

Sorry for my stilted prose. I threw this together while editing pieces on the convergence of US financial reporting standards with international ones and a real eye-opener on the adoption of extensible business reporting language.

Life is good.

Not sure who is left, but I call them.

Comment

Thanks NY, and congrats on the promotion,,, care to name the publication in case some of us read?

And there are plenty of people left.......................like ..... YourPalChrisMal---- come on down.......................

Comment

Working...
                                X