The screen to Westbrook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The screen to Westbrook

was not only well played by the entire O but was a great call. The Vikes came out in man D, not many screens had been run, and the O had been running the ball.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Asked about this last couple of weeks.... where have all the screens gone? We used to run quite few and we were successful. Are the D's taking them away or are we just going away from them?

Comment

Reid mentioned as much in his PC.....he said something like, "We haven't done that a lot lately" or "We could probably stand to do that a little more," I'm not sure which. But who knows as to why......one theory I'd heard (uh...did I hear it here?), was that our screens had been less effective without Andrews, and so some of those plays were shelved for now, like the old flea flicker to Reggie Brown. That play sure did look good though, and I'd think that was against a Vikes' D that had really shown up on Sunday.
      Last edited by balto-eaglefan; 01-05-2009, 11:37 PM.
      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

IMO the difference was Max-Jean and Cole. Cole had 2 blocks and tried like hell for a third MG doesn't make it 10 yards.IMO Cole is gonna make it real hard to take him out of the line up.Maybe Shawn comes back next year at the LT spot afterall.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

The screen was a success because of excellent execution and surprise.

Seems like the Eagles have not been running many screens for Westy in recent games although we had some nice screens to LJ against the Gints. Maybe it's time to run a couple this week.

Comment

I think that they had been running TOO MANY screens. Other teams were really anticipating them, and the Eagles weren't disguising them very well.

The element of surprise was just as important as their really good execution. My (poor) memory is that it was the first screen that they tried that day.
            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
              IMO the difference was Max-Jean and Cole. Cole had 2 blocks and tried like hell for a third MG doesn't make it 10 yards.IMO Cole is gonna make it real hard to take him out of the line up.Maybe Shawn comes back next year at the LT spot afterall.
              I just hope they can re-sign him for next year. As a FA he will be in high demand.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                Agree, Cole has been a marauder getting out into space. on running plays, he does a great job getting a second-level block in -- releasing off of his initial man and getting out to the LB or the S.

Cole is not as good in pass protection, though.

MJG just sucks.
                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

The hate MJG train rolls on...

Great blocking down field by Jackson & Curtis helped as well...
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                    The hate MJG train rolls on...

Great blocking down field by Jackson & Curtis helped as well...

Look, VFK, as far as i'm concerned the o-line instantly improved when MJG broke his ankle and Cole came in. It was instant improvement.
                    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                      Look, VFK, as far as i'm concerned the o-line instantly improved when MJG broke his ankle and Cole came in. It was instant improvement.
                      Just watched that screen play again. There is no way in hell MJG does what Cole did on that play.
                      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Gotta agree with you guys on Cole making a difference in the screen play.When I watched the replay last night Cole,starting for the first time for MJG really played well.He had a couple of mental mistakes but he's played better the last 4 weeks.Also in that game Westbrook just OWNED MLB Antonio Pierce.Anytime you get Westy on Pierce(or any other LB not named Farrior)he can take it to the house.I'd look for Westy more on screens,dumps in the flat,and quick slants on Sunday.Use Buck more for pounding inside but get Westy out in space.
                        Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                          I agree totally,but I'm not trying to come down on MJG,he is what he is ,a young guy who is a good back up, every team needs that. IMO he is not an everyday player.He can not push Andrews for a spot, Cole can .Watch Cole closely,he comes out of his stance like he has one of those acme rockets up his ass. Cole can pull,everyone on the line needs this skill,MJG can not pull. How many times when he was in there did we see McNabb stumble coming away from center ? You can't have slow feet and pull in the NFL.IMO Cole has played his way into a starting role,something that might have happened sooner if he wasn't 5'11 or 6' tall.
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

How close was that ball to hitting Cole's head to start? Game of inches.
                            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                            Playoff Appearances:
                            NFC Title Games:
                            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga View Post
                              I think that they had been running TOO MANY screens. Other teams were really anticipating them, and the Eagles weren't disguising them very well.

The element of surprise was just as important as their really good execution. My (poor) memory is that it was the first screen that they tried that day.
                              I concur and that is one reason why I thought it such a good call at a good time. Anyone watching the game again will see, if I recall correctly, them try a screen in the next series and it was straight up stuffed at the LOS. The element of surprise also aids the downfield blocks because the D isn't geared toward that particular play or move and are out of position or on their heels.
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X