Odd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd question

In case you missed the news the Phillies won the World Series last year. I've noticed that they are now referred to as the "World Series Champions" and (contrary to Mr. Utley's proclamation) they are not called "the world champions". Has the proliferation of baseball made the term "world champs" taboo? Anyone esle noticed this and when did it start?
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Hadn't noticed too much.

What I have noticed a lot though is the lack of the use when introducing the team before games. They aren't being introduced as "the world champion Phillies" or even the "WS champion Philiies" -- and it bothers me when I attend.

They are the world champions till there is another winner of the World Series.

Comment

If it makes you feel better every day on the Preston & Steve show they wrap up the sports highlights by stating "The Phils are Still the World Series Champions!" -- I never get tired of hearing that!
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

To me that IS the point--- you get to gloat and BE the champs until you're replaced.

Comment

Working...
        X