12-1 in the 4th. Think Happ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-1 in the 4th. Think Happ....

....and Blanton would have appreciated a little of this offense?

They've had more hits with RISP in the first 4 innings tonight than they've had in total since the AS Game.

Go figure?

Your critique of Pedro?

Comment

Of course it's only 1 start, but he seemed to have decent control tonight. Definitely can still strike guys out. Did struggle in the 5th and give up some solidly hit outs. I think they'll need to see more, but it seems like he may have more in the tank than Moyer (flimsy evidence for sure). Of course, that's not saying much at all.

By the way, how about Vic getting beer thrown on him DURING a play. not only that, but there was basically nothing done by the umps. I realize you're up 10 runs, but it should be some kind of dead ball.

Comment

I hear Bruntlett got wind of Tino's "praise" of his defense and was just trying to show him up with that dive and throw.

As for Pedro, the Pedro I saw for the 1st 4 was the best that you could hope for. The 5th was a real concern, but again couple of notes there. 1. He did get out of it with only 2 runs scored. 2. It's hard to concentrate when you have that big of a lead. 3. It's the first time out now if he shows he can ONLY go 4 innings then we have a problem.

Only time and starts will let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
          Your critique of Pedro?
          MD,
          All I have up here is the radio broadcast supplemented with CBS Sportsline. Having said that, I was pleased with what he did in his first up. Obviously he ran out of gas in the 5th but that was kind of expected given the number of pitches he made through the 1st 4.

According to the Sportsline Pitch Tracker, he mixed his pitches well with a good change and a fastball consistently in the low 90s.

If he builds the stamina a bit and improves his location (both reasonable expectations) he can be a big help down the stretch.

Your impression of his outing? (Never mind, I just read it.)

As far as my 'favorite' bench player, I'm always willing to help the young guys with my positive observations.
          Last edited by tinopuno; 08-12-2009, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah but he came back and tried tooooooooooo hard on that error in the ninth.

You don't get ESPN where you are at?

Comment

I hear Bruntlett got wind of Tino's "praise" of his defense and was just trying to show him up with that dive and throw.

As for Pedro, the Pedro I saw for the 1st 4 was the best that you could hope for. The 5th was a real concern, but again couple of notes there. 1. He did get out of it with only 2 runs scored. 2. It's hard to concentrate when you have that big of a lead. 3. It's the first time out now if he shows he can ONLY go 4 innings then we have a problem.

Only time and starts will let us know.

I think they got the best they could out of Pedro last night, but as he pitches more, I believe Pedro will show us more.

He has always had impeccable control and the ability to throw any pitch at any point in the count. Control and command were a bit off last night, especially with his fastball. That's to be expected given his long layoff and should improve with more work.

I was pleased to see him getting his fastball into the low 90s when he needed it. He's still got something good to offer.
              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Yeah but he came back and tried tooooooooooo hard on that error in the ninth.

You don't get ESPN where you are at?
                I was in too good a mood to mention his boot that cost 2 earned runs.

The least expensive available package that includes ESPN costs $60 plus per month. That in itself pisses me off, as we watch very little TV. Additionally, we're in Fla for 4 months in the winter and they don't want to give me a meaningful break while we're gone, so we use just the 16 channel Economy Cable. (My wife calls me 'cheap'. I consider it a matter of principle to limit my ass-raping by monopolies as much as possible...and I'm cheap!)

If there's a sporting event I really want to see and we aren't getting it at home, there are plenty of local joints from which to chose.

As far as Phillies games, I estimate conservatively that I've spent roughly 1/10th of my life watching/listening to/cursing at these heart breakers (with 2 exquisite exceptions) so I really try to avoid spending 3 hours each night devoted solely to the Phightins.

How's that for much more information than you needed?

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                  I was in too good a mood to mention his boot that cost 2 earned runs.

The least expensive available package that includes ESPN costs $60 plus per month. That in itself pisses me off, as we watch very little TV. Additionally, we're in Fla for 4 months in the winter and they don't want to give me a meaningful break while we're gone, so we use just the 16 channel Economy Cable. (My wife calls me 'cheap'. I consider it a matter of principle to limit my ass-raping by monopolies as much as possible...and I'm cheap!)

If there's a sporting event I really want to see and we aren't getting it at home, there are plenty of local joints from which to chose.

As far as Phillies games, I estimate conservatively that I've spent roughly 1/10th of my life watching/listening to/cursing at these heart breakers (with 2 exquisite exceptions) so I really try to avoid spending 3 hours each night devoted solely to the Phightins.

How's that for much more information than you needed?
                  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ,,,,,,, err,,,, what??? no of course not, I was .... enthralled!

Comment

Pedro was about what expected. Hopefully a few more starts will reveal everything that's needed to know whether to go back to Jamie or not. Hopefully not.
                    www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by fly View Post
                      Of course it's only 1 start, but he seemed to have decent control tonight. Definitely can still strike guys out. Did struggle in the 5th and give up some solidly hit outs. I think they'll need to see more, but it seems like he may have more in the tank than Moyer (flimsy evidence for sure). Of course, that's not saying much at all.

By the way, how about Vic getting beer thrown on him DURING a play. not only that, but there was basically nothing done by the umps. I realize you're up 10 runs, but it should be some kind of dead ball.
                      Since he caught the ball, and the beer didn't change the reasonably expected outcome of the play, the umps don't have to call a dead ball. It is there option.

If Vic had dropped the ball and the runners all ran around the bases, I think the umps would have called dead ball and awarded bases as they felt were within reason. I think that they could even refuse to allow any advance to penalize the team for poor fan behavior.
                      www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Don't know the actual rules, but Togas explanation sounds reasonable to me. The guy on third was gonna score anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                        X